It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Adding a new mac?
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:34 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I've been backing up my old mac on my ex490 for a while and I recently bought a new Mac. I want to start backing it up with Time Machine as well. I've installed the HPMSS application, but the TIme Machine volume didn't show up on my desktop. I want to back up BOTH machines. In the prefs panel, do I just need to set a new Backup Disk and start it from there?

-alan

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Adding a new mac?
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:30 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

HP's driver binds the disk to the serial number of the machine it is backing up. So yes, if you want to configure a back up for a new machine, then you need to use the preferences pane to create a new disk for the new machine. It will need to find room on one physical disk for the file it creates too as WHS does not stripe files across multiple disks.

Attachments:
Screen shot 2011-05-06 at 6.25.12 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-05-06 at 6.25.12 PM.png [ 153.38 KiB | Viewed 13604 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:32 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hmmm. Since I have duplication turned on, I guess that means I'll have to find space on two drives. However, according to the disk monitor, I have 800+ GB on two drives, but it won't let me create a volume I've even tried to decrease the eize down to as small as 500 GB, and it errors out with (paraphrased) "Insufficient free space. free space and continue? [later] [continue]" window.

Is the limitation on the total amount of space allocated to the Mac volume or is it a per-file limitation?

My ex490 had 4 disks: 1 TB (system), 2x 1TB, 1x 2 TB. I have duplication turned on for the Mac volume and an 850 GB TM volume for the old computer. There is a little bit more other space used, but it's less than 150 GB for everything else.

I'm on the verge of giving up and buying a Synology box.

-alan

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:39 am 
Founder
Founder

It needs free space on a single physical disk, more on that here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5997

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:59 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

yakuza wrote:
It needs free space on a single physical disk, more on that here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5997

But is it free space for the whole mac volume (i.e. do ALL time machine volumes need to fit within a single drive) or is it on a per TM volume (i.e. each individual TM volume has to fit on a drive)?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:21 pm 
Founder
Founder

The Time Machine volume that you create must be smaller than the contiguous free space on the drive with the most free space. You may have to add a new drive, or remove a drive and then re-add it to gain sufficient contiguous free space.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
alanh
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:54 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

alanh wrote:
I have duplication turned on for the Mac volume and an 850 GB TM volume for the old computer.

I wouldn't bother with folder duplication for the Mac share. It does not work well with huge files like the TM backup files and is an unreliable redundancy feature.

alanh wrote:
I'm on the verge of giving up and buying a Synology box.

I can relate. I suspect the release of OS X 10.7 this summer will force me to replace my MSS box.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Cliff for this post
alanh
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:12 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have turned off duplication.

I've tried removing a 1 TB disk a couple of times and it won't let me create a volume even as small as 500 GB. I also have a 2 TB disk in the system that's reportedly "3% full" that makes no difference even after I tried adding/removing it as well. I do have a brand-new 2 TB disk that I could throw in there, but I am just skeptical that it's worth the effort.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:25 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

How large is the TM volume you're trying to create? Is there enough room on a single disk for it? If you haven't already done so, installing a disk management add-in like this one can help you figure out what is going on.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:51 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have tried creating TM volumes between 500GB and 900 GB. I already had the Disk Management add-in installed. I have 4 disks.

Disk 0: 1 TB "4% used" system drive
Disk 1: 1 TB "0% used" (this is the drive I removed and re-added)
Disk 2: 1 TB "97% used" I presume this is where my other 850 GB TM volume is living.
DIsk 3: 2 TB "3% used" I have added/removed this recently.

The TM volume sizes are actually too small. TM volume recommended sizes are on the order of 2-3x the size of the HD. My existing volume being backed up is a 1 TB drive with more than 500GB utilized. The new mac will have about the same storage.

-alan

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:01 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hopefully Alex can confirm this recommendation, but my inclination would be to remove disk 2 as a way to force WHS to reorganize the storage on the server. If you have a backup of your server data on external drives, then turn off folder duplication prior to doing this as that step will significantly reduce the amount of time required. Then add the disk back in to the storage pool and give your TM configuration another shot.

You can browse the Smallnetbuilder/Synology?ReadyNAS/etc. sites while you're waiting on disk writes. HP's support for TM was marginal to begin with, and TM is not directly supported by WHS 2011. I suspect you'll be shopping for a new NAS before too long.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:26 am 
Founder
Founder

Cliff wrote:
Hopefully Alex can confirm this recommendation, but my inclination would be to remove disk 2 as a way to force WHS to reorganize the storage on the server. If you have a backup of your server data on external drives, then turn off folder duplication prior to doing this as that step will significantly reduce the amount of time required. Then add the disk back in to the storage pool and give your TM configuration another shot.

This sounds like a good suggestion to me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:44 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

What version of the connector software is installed on the new Mac, and does it authenticate properly?

On my Mac running 3.0.xb80 all runs fine. When I allowed one of the Macs to update to 3.0.2b120, it broke and will not create a new time machine or authenticate properly. I called HP support and after a couple hours on the phone, they have been working on it for over 2 weeks without resolution.

Don't be afraid to call HP support. I got a quick connection to a tech support guy who actually understood Macs and the WHS at 8 pm Pacific time on a Sunday.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:27 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I'm running 3.0.2b120 on both machines. it claims to authenticate. The old machine can update TM fine.

Thanks