It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:08 pm 

I'm a bit of a newbie, but I'd like to install xp on my mediasmart (using it as a simple pc) and hook that up to my HDTV to simply make my TV into a PC. I have an extra mediasmart laying around and wanted to spare the expense of buying a whole new pc to do this. I'd like to hook up a wireless keyboard and mouse, and would also need to get the repurposed mediasmart connected to my wifi network without using an ethernet cable.

Sorry if anything about this is posted elsewhere--I've searched and couldn't find anything on this. Does anyone foresee any problems with using Charles' cable to start setting this up? Has anyone else tried to use the mediasmart as a normal pc?

Last edited by yakuza on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Split out from the VGA Debug Cable topic

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:04 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well, anything is possable, the video is what will be lacking the most, I can't see anybody being happy with the video that comes out of the server, what I had heard even on a smaller monitor it's not that great and on a TV, well, it takes a pretty good videocard to do that anyway.

Even if you throw the video part out, unless your spare is one of the newer servers (don't try this with a 470/475) the stuff inside is not very fast.

I would think you would not be happy with it on many levels. I would sell it in whole or in parts and look at some of the smaller PC's that are more suited for this.

A shuttle PC, I have built 3 of them for fairly cheap and they are small and at least you could put a fairlt desent videocard in them.

Click here and shop alittle http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory ... rder=PRICE
The prices for used servers goes up everyday on ebay, I have been watching.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:37 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

What about a USB video adapter?
with a typical video card it doesn't take much to do HD. I was doing that ten years ago with the video cards from my HTPCs and it didn't take much to get a good picture at HD resolutions since it's only 2D.

I'm not sure about the resolutions for the USB video adapters. I've seen them them with lower 1680 x 1050P resolutions for $70 or $80 but I don't know about 1920x1080P resolution ones.

EDIT:
here is one at Newegg that does 1920x1080
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815153012

here is one from Monoprice
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

I have no idea how well they would work with the MSS.

Thanks