It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:50 am 

Hi all,

I have some newbie questions for the pros in the group. I bought the ex495 recently and I’m having trouble with using it on a wirelessly connect Macbook. (No problems using it with a PC that is hardwired to the router, which is hardwired to the ex495.)

Here’s the problem:

In Finder under SHARED, I have my server listed (along with the "readyshare" folder), but when I click on it states “Connection Failure.” However, I can get to the server (thru the “HP MediaSmart Server Web Site” intraweb site) and mount a particular folder, for example, and it mounts the whole server. So, after I do that, the server shows up under SHARED in Finder, but only by its IP address, not by its name.

The software on my Macbook is version 3.0.2b120 and the MSS version on the server is 3.3.1.35433 – 2/3/2010 EX1108091933.

I haven’t done any Time Machine backups, but I definitely have write and read access to the server.

Thanks for your help!

Will

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:41 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

What type of router do you have?
Unfortunately, the wireless connection issues do happen with NON-Apple routers, if you have Snow Leopard installed on your MAC. If you hardwire the MAC, then you will be able to connect and use TimeMachine for backups, etc.
I have no idea what causes it, but it has to be something in the Wireless protocol.
For a long time I had a Belkin Wireless N router and experienced the same issues as you.
The routers were the last non Apple boxes standing (besides my MSS). About six months ago, I installed an AirPort extreme and all of my connection issues / streaming issues with my Apple TVs etc. went away. So it has to be something with the Wireless protocol but I am not a networking expert to exactly diagnose the root cause.

Apple Network infrastructure & 2 Apple TVs

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:01 pm 

GPKing,

Thanks for the reply. I have a Netgear (WNDR3700), so I guess that must be the problem. What a bummer. It's a fairly new router, so I'm not looking to replace it anytime soon....

I see others talk about the need to set port forwarding on the router for any Mac to connect correctly. Any thoughts on this? I'm new to networking and I don't even know what that means. When I log into my router as an admin, I see the section for setting up port forwarding, but I don't know what to tell it to do.

I'll keep searching these forums and hope that I figure it out.

Best,

Will

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I am only fishing in the big pond here. But does your Netgear have the ability to set up AES as an encryption technology? That may solve the problem.

Port forwarding is only necessary for remote access. And no matter what (even if your router is UPnP capable) in order to have reliable remote access, you need to set a static IP address for the server and forward ports 80, 443, and 4125 to that IP address. But you should not need to configure any PC or MAC to connect to the network.

Hope this helps.

Apple Network infrastructure & 2 Apple TVs

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:34 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

In System Preferences - File Sharing, click Options and make sure that SMB sharing is turned on.

I'm also having issues with the b120 version of the Mac software (b80 worked fine)

In Finder, if you click "Go" from the menu bar, select connect to server and then type in SMB://yourservername does it show up and work?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:31 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

What I have experienced is that the actual user account is locked, and this is not visible in the WHS console. Log in with Remote Desktop, and access user directory from there, twice it have happened to me that the user account was locked.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:42 pm 

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately, nothing suggested here has worked.

I hardwired my Macbook Pro to the router, and the only way to see the HP server is to add it manually (as I described in my original post). Even after adding access to the server folders manually, I still can't get Time Machine to work.

In the HP MediaSmart Server section of System Preferences, the first tab ("Server") shows that I've connected to the server and there's a green circle and the word "Authenticated" is present.

Then when I switch to the second tab ("Backup"), I'm able to find the Mac backup folder on the server, but the second step of clicking "Start" next to "Backup Disk Status" results in the following error message: "Could not complete the operation. Please retry later, or manually if possible, or after system reboot. If the operation persists, reinstall the software."

Does anyone know what is meant by "retry...manually"? How can I "manually" set up the server as the Time Machine backup device?

Thanks,

Will

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 am 

Will, I have the exact same problem as you. I get the "Could not complete the operation......" message when trying to start the Backup Disk.

I have an EX485 with the latest software. My new MacBook Pro just arrived and I am trying to setup Time Machine. The server authenticates fine, the backup disk allocates on the Mac share fine, but the backup disk will not start. I already have 2 Macs running time machine and backing up to the WHS so I am at a loss. I am hard-wired to the network. I verified that I can read and write files from the Mac to the WHS. Nothing shows up in the Console. Frustrated.

I have rebooted both the mac and the whs. I have deleted the disk and recreated it.

The only thing I did out of the ordinary is I changed the computer name from the ridiculous one apple defaults to, "Jim Cricket's Mac Book Pro" to something short without space. I wonder if changing the computer name could have caused some confusion. However, I did uninstall and reinstall the MSS software on the mac after changing the computer name.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:41 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I just went through this, and here is what fixed it for me: You need to reboot your macbook with the 32 bit kernel. Reboot your computer and hold down the 3 and 2 keys. Once booted, try starting the backup disk and it should work. Apparently the HP time machine kext kernel extensions don't work when the MAcbook is booted using the 64 bit kernel.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank mikepro for this post
WilburNJ, yakuza
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:16 pm 

mikepro wrote:
I just went through this, and here is what fixed it for me: You need to reboot your macbook with the 32 bit kernel. Reboot your computer and hold down the 3 and 2 keys. Once booted, try starting the backup disk and it should work. Apparently the HP time machine kext kernel extensions don't work when the MAcbook is booted using the 64 bit kernel.

Mikepro,

Thank you!!! Switching to 32-bit fixed it. Now i can Time Machine my two Macs onto my HP Server. Awesome!

Best,

Will

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:25 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

WilburNJ wrote:
mikepro wrote:

Mikepro,

Thank you!!! Switching to 32-bit fixed it. Now i can Time Machine my two Macs onto my HP Server. Awesome!

Best,

Will

FYI, next time your Mac reboots, it will default back to 64 bit kernel, unless you hold down 3 and 2. There are ways to change the default. Haven't tried them, but look here for some methods:
http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowLeopard-64bit.html

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank mikepro for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:09 pm 

This thread was invaluable in getting my own backup working. I purchased a new MacBook Pro to replace my existing one, and could not get the connector to mount the backup disk. Rebooting in 32 bit mode worked for me, however, that doesn't seem like a good permanent fix.

Did prior MacBook Pro's not boot into 64 bit mode by default? I ask, because my prior MacBook Pro's never had issues mounting the server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:19 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Exactly, prior MacBooks defaulted to 32 bit kernel. Going forward, seems like HP's time machine solution will be less and less supported. Probably totally broken in Lion.

I've been thinking of getting a time capsule to be done with it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:09 am 

Hello there.

I have a HP Media Server and currently backing up one Windows Vista machine and one brand new MacBook Pro. Then, problems started when my daughter also got a MacBook Pro (identical but larger screen). I am still able to backup the previous two machines, but my daughters simply is not able to enable the backup disk (when pressing START). If fails with the message ""Could not complete the operation", and "Please retry later, bl.a. bl.a.".

I have
- reinstalled the software several times
- recreated the backup volume several times (initially failed when attempting to create 100 GB, but after booting the media server that was suggested somewhere else, it went ok with 100 GB).
- booted the Mac with 32 bit Kernel as suggested in this thread, and verified this is the running setting.

Now what ? What really is a mystery is that my daughters MacBook Pro is practically the same machine as the other Mac currently being backed up. So why is it not working ? My other MacBook Pro is running 64 bit and that seems to be working just fine !

Somebody will get a medal for figuring this one out.

Thanks