It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Feature Requests
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:34 pm 
Founder
Founder

Do you have an idea for a new feature you'd like to see added to Remote Notification? How about additional information that should be displayed in the Daily Reports? Post your ideas here and they will be considered for a future update.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Feature Requests
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:02 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

In my opinion you have a very nice user interface, but the interface comes at a cost, it limits the power of your program, you've created a simple interface, at the cost of flexibility...

pick and choose

The ability to turn off all reports from an application, or turn on all messages from an application, to be better able to filter what we want to see...

Remember Dave Mercer WHS Event Monitor?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:07 am 
Founder
Founder

Daveed wrote:
In my opinion you have a very nice user interface, but the interface comes at a cost, it limits the power of your program, you've created a simple interface, at the cost of flexibility...

Remote Notification 1.5 has many, many more features than version 1.0 had. An update that included a new recipient type was released in less than a week from beginning development through testing to release. That seems pretty flexible from my point of you. Perhaps you can clarify your point for me?

Daveed wrote:
The ability to turn off all reports from an application, or turn on all messages from an application, to be better able to filter what we want to see...

Remember Dave Mercer WHS Event Monitor?

When you say "reports from an application", do you mean the Notifications (aka WHS health alerts)? In Remote Notification 1.5 you can currently exclude any notification with the Exclude Filters feature, simply by defining the text contained in that notification. Applications that issue health alerts in WHS do not conform to any standard presentation, and the WHS API's do not provide context on which application issued the alert so at this point I can't think of any good way to do what you ask beyond the currently available Exclude Filters feature.

I'm familiar with Dave's Add-In. Remote Notification is intended to deliver the WHS notifications to you in various ways, not be a generic system monitoring tool. The Daily Report does do a bit more with it's stats gathering. And I've had a request from a Remote Notification customer that Event Viewer monitoring features similar to Dave's be added to Remote Notification, which I am considering but have not yet decided on whether I will implement that or not.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:15 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Okay then perhaps I'm missing something important then? Perhaps you need to add a tutorial on how to exclude? But I think I'm not actually interested in creating a filter to exclude each and every thing I don't want, IMHO that would be way too many filters, but rather an include filter...

It's been too many years now but as I recall why I liked event monitor better was I could configure it to include what I wanted for the most part using Sources and Ids (or I thought I could at the time) I want things that are informational...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:28 am 
Founder
Founder

Daveed wrote:
Okay then perhaps I'm missing something important then? Perhaps you need to add a tutorial on how to exclude? But I think I'm not actually interested in creating a filter to exclude each and every thing I don't want, IMHO that would be way too many filters, but rather an include filter...

The Exclude Filters are described in the Documentation, take a look and let me know if the docs can be improved.
http://www.remotenotification.com/docum ... e-filters/

Edit: I think in practice you'd only have a few exclude filters, at least on my production server I rarely have alerts come through.

Daveed wrote:
It's been too many years now but as I recall why I liked event monitor better was I could configure it to include what I wanted for the most part using Sources and Ids (or I thought I could at the time) I want things that are informational...

The customer I mentioned earlier wants precisely the opposite behavior, he feels that it's better to get all errors and then exclude the ones you don't want. That would be one of the changes he would like to see if I incorporate Event Viewer monitoring.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:42 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

yakuza wrote:
The Exclude Filters are described in the Documentation, take a look and let me know if the docs can be improved.
http://www.remotenotification.com/docum ... e-filters/

I thought I'd looked in documentation see here;

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8963/tutorialst.png

I think I'd add a link to it from here?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:43 am 
Founder
Founder

Yeah I noticed that, will add a more detailed tutorial, thanks. The feature in the app seems pretty clear if you walk through it, have you tried that yet?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:49 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

No I have not, I can't seem to find it anywhere, I've looked too, :crazy: Think I need a picture of where you get that first screen from....

\:D/ Maybe you can add me as a beta tester, (dummy position) see if I can follow directions....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:54 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

found it, Features, Notification Schedules (Do Not Disturb)

Trying to get back on topic,

■Control the health alerts that are sent based upon severity level

Okay so I have no filters installed and I'm not seeing the same events as with event monitor. Nor do I see a way to change the severity level, am I missing another feature somewhere? Say I want to monitor every time a backup fails can I? But I don't want to get every time a backup starts.

Or say I want to get an email every time Router Control detects an unauthorized port forwarding, can I? In real time, or say aggregate them to once every 15 minutes, 1/2 hour, hour?

Last edited by Daveed on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:06 am 
Founder
Founder

Ok, I'll definitely do a tutorial that describes the whole flow, thanks. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:48 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

How about porting over to WHS2011/SBS2011? What you've done here is head and shoulders above what MS has delivered in those platforms and with SBS2011 volumes, you stand a good chance of actually generating significant taxable income! Wouldn't it be nice to need your CPA's help? :D

Jim

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:51 pm 
Founder
Founder

Daveed wrote:
Trying to get back on topic,

■Control the health alerts that are sent based upon severity level

Okay so I have no filters installed and I'm not seeing the same events as with event monitor. Nor do I see a way to change the severity level, am I missing another feature somewhere? Say I want to monitor every time a backup fails can I? But I don't want to get every time a backup starts.

Or say I want to get an email every time Router Control detects an unauthorized port forwarding, can I? In real time, or say aggregate them to once every 15 minutes, 1/2 hour, hour?

Again, Remote Notification is intended to only forward the Health Alerts issued by your home server. It does NOT currently do any monitoring of Event Viewer.

You can monitor when a backup fails by setting up a Daily Report and checking the Client Backup Status, or by using my BDBB Add-In to set the Notification periods so that a notification is generated when a backup fails after one day. If Router Control issues a Health Alert when it detects an unauthorized port forwarding, then Remote Notification will send that to you in real time (taking into account the Notification Window which defaults requiring a health alert be active for 60 seconds before a message is sent). There is no aggregate of health alerts in Remote Notification.

I'd really like to keep this topic focused on feature requests, not explanations of the existing features in the product. If there are questions about how to use the Add-In or suggestions to improve the documentation, let's start a new topic please.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:53 pm 
Founder
Founder

I've added two new tutorials to the Documentation thanks to the feedback here.

Configure Exclude Filters
Configure Notification Schedules

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:56 pm 
Founder
Founder

jam3ohio wrote:
How about porting over to WHS2011/SBS2011? What you've done here is head and shoulders above what MS has delivered in those platforms and with SBS2011 volumes, you stand a good chance of actually generating significant taxable income! Wouldn't it be nice to need your CPA's help? :D

Jim

My CPA can barely keep up with me as it is! :roll: :lol:

I'm definitely considering this, as you say Remote Notification has a significant number of additional features over the built-in email notifications in WHS2011/SBS2011 and it makes sense for me to develop that. To be brutally honest, I still have projects I'm wanting to complete for WHS v1 (a significant update to BDBB is one of the top ones) and I'm not sure where to direct my time and energy. I am seriously considering this, however.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:12 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I would like to see exclude filters available for the email report it sends me every day. I always get a long list of available add-ins ready to install. Since I check this email with my phone, I have to scroll down a bit to see what I wish. Of course I could just move those add-ins to another folder until I wish to install one of them, but I like to keep them handy in the software\add-ins folder.

Thanks