It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:33 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I've been trying for the last month to get a WHS machine (HP EX495) to work for streaming to my Dune. I've got it to the point where it works well except for one very annoying thing. I get a pause somewhere between 1 and 10 minutes into a movie. (BR iso) The pause lasts from 5 to 30 seconds, then the video fast forwards to catch up to where it would have been without the pause. Sound remains muted. At any point normal streaming can be restored by fast forwarding, rewinding, or chapter skipping. After this, playback is fine for the rest of the movie.

I'm running both the Dune and EX495 on the same Gigabit switch with cat 6 cables and static IP addresses. I even tried it with the router disconnected to rule that out. All I can figure is it's something to do with WHS waking up the hard drives??? If I have the Dune playing a movie, any movie, before I start watching, then everything is fine.

I've disabled Demigrator and I believe all of the HP bloatware during the times I watch movies. CPU and memory usage stay very low during the pause. Event viewer shows nothing happening during the pause. I've reset the clock on WHS so that it's 5 hours behind, so all of the midnight maintenance happens at 5:00AM. (Check Disc caused all sorts of stuttering...) Backups also happen between 5:00 AM and 8:00 AM.

If anybody has any ideas or help I would be most appreciative. Thank you!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:43 pm 

Nak ~ While I do not have a solution for you at this time, I am curious if this issues only exists on your Dune or does it also happen when you stream movies direct to a PC? Does this only happen with your BR ISO's or does it also happen with other video formats as well both on your Dune and while streaming to other PC's on your network?

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:23 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I can't really answer that... I only stream movies to the dune. I only have 1 file that's not an iso; it's a MKV and the same issue applies. If I stream from my XP Home machine to the Dune, then there are no problems whatsoever. I also get the problem streaming music (mp3) to a Tivo from the EX495. So it's not a bandwidth issue...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:40 pm 

Streaming Music is an easier task then video and definately much easier to do on your intranet then say over the internet.

For now lets just back up abit and look to my original question about your server actually being able to deliver or stream your content. You mention you have an XP Client. If you were pull up a movie and music with your XP client from your server do they play correctly or does the same issue occur?

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:47 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'll find a program to play bluray iso files and give it a try.

One thing, I was on the ex495 via remote desktop from my xp machine when one of the pauses started. The desktop froze as well. Whether the EX495 actually froze or the networking connectivity froze, I don't know. It seems like it must be EX495 related because it's always between 1 to 10 minutes in to a movie, and only just the once. Once the EX495 has been active, it doesn't pause again until the EX495 has had a period of inactivity.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:37 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Streaming Music is an easier task then video and definately much easier to do on your intranet then say over the internet.

For now lets just back up abit and look to my original question about your server actually being able to deliver or stream your content. You mention you have an XP Client. If you were pull up a movie and music with your XP client from your server do they play correctly or does the same issue occur?

Yep, it does it streaming to my XP machine as well.

BTW, Thanks so much for helping, this is driving me nuts!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:11 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I may have found something. Every 10 minutes, My XP machine is logging in to my EX495. Maybe the little icon that shows the health of the WHS machine? Anyway, that time coincides with the moment the movie pauses. ProcMon is showing a bunch of "Name Not Found", "Name Collision", and "Buffer Overflow" events at that time too. I assume that the XP machine logging on must have something to do with it, because the timing is too coincidental. What the other things mean, I have no idea.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:08 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Does anybody have any idea what I should try next? My only guess is a Factory reset. (I've already backed up all of my data.)

Thanks