It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:16 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I'm glad to say that I haven't been on here in a while as my server has been chugging along just fine, and then along came the bite in the ass.
I couldnt get the console to logon (4 different PC's, 2 iphones, and 1 ipad) and the server wouldn't do a soft shutdown, so I had to do a hard shutdown. On restart two blue lights, a blinking blue health indicator and no lights on the drives. Uh Oh!

I searched the forums and per most of the results I ran chkdsk on my drives (no errors). By the way the external docks are very nice and make this easier than it used to be (thank you Thermaltake). I was getting ready to so a system reset, when one of the searches jogged my memory.

The fix is quick and easy; RDP into your server and in windows explorer go to c:\windows\system32\logfiles\w3svc1 and delete all but the latest log. I just got 12gb back, rebooted and now my system works perfectly again. I'm still not sure what cause such large log files, but this should buy me another six months.

I can't believe (and am ashamed to say) that I wasted most of the afternoon and almost did a system reset for this error. I had it happen a year ago on my 475 and completely forgot about it and now it's happened on my 495 after about 6 months.

I'm posting this as an alternative to the many drive related errors which can generate similar light behaviors leading down the path to a system or factory reset. My guess is that many folks have lost their data doing a factory install to fix this.

Good Luck

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:19 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I meant to put this in the HP 495 forum. I can't figure out how to move it now, perhaps one of the moderators can help?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:33 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

I think its in the right area, its not system specific so probably best in Troubleshooting and Support.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:54 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Thanks for the heads up, I most likely would have done a recovery or reset as I have 1 non pooled drive for the server folders backup.
Just deleting some files would be way less time comsuming. Very Cool! :cheers:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks