It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:33 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi Everyone,

Putting together a DIY with a little new & little old. My old Mobo Gigabyte 8KNXP rev1.0 will be used with a new Norco 4224+internal HD caddys, I am in need of a PCI 8 port SATA card...Actually multiple as I plan to get 4 of these.

The mobo has PCI slots only. So I am also open to suggestions on cards as long as they have a minimum of 8 ports.

I have been scouring for several hours now on the SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 & have just a couple concerns I am hopefull can be laid to rest.
- Can this card handle 2TB drives in each of the 8 ports?
- If multiple cards with say all ports used with 2TB drives, any known issues?
- Not sure of my OS drives yet (mirrored), but I believe I will stick with the 2TB WD20EARS drives for the storage pool.
- Is all the hoopla just a matter of appropriate BIOS settings & Drivers?

Its not a huge cost & could buy 1 or 2 & return if necessary, but would like to get some feedback anyone who may have some definitive info.

Thanks in advance,
Newtek

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I just added two of the AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards to my server, along with two SuperMicro 5 in 3 cages. One of the cards is hooked up to the 5 SATA connections on one of the cages plus 2 rear panel eSATA connections (which are not being used) and the cage is populated with 5 WD 2.0TB EARS drives with pins 7 and 8 jumpered. The other card is hooked up to the second cage, but the cage is not yet populated with disks.

As you can read about in a separate thread (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9689) I started while attempting to get all of this configured, I ran into a few hiccups, but the issues were solely related to a faulty backplane in one of the cages. Once I sorted that issue out, I had no issues adding 5 of the EARS drives to one of the cages. Can't say whether there would be any issues adding 8 of these drives to one of the AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards because I haven't done so personally, but I can't imagine why there would be any issues.

One thing to note about the cards versus the PCI slots on your MOBO. The AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards are PCI-X cards, but they will run in regular PCI slots (my configuration is proof of this). The only thing you need to make sure of is that you have plenty of room behind your PCI slots with nothing tall on the MOBO because the rear section of the card (which would fit into the longer PCI-X slot) will hang over the end of a regular PCI slot. In other words, you won't want anything taller than a small resister or the like within about an inch and a half of the end of your PCI slots, otherwise you won't be able to install these cards.

2 GB RAM
19.25 TB Storage

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:29 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks much mgannon. I pulled the trigger & got 4 of the cards. We shall see how everything plays out.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:18 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

just a heads up on these look good and heck of a sale. 99.00

Highpoint RocketRaid http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6816115057
you will need cables but looks like great card at this price.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:52 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi Newtek,

The AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards work great in WHS. I am using two of them in my home server right now. They are little work horses. Once you load the driver you are good to go. Just start hooking up the drives to the sata ports and you'll see them start to pop up in the console. Like mgannon stated, they are PCI-X cards so make sure you don't have any obstructions towards the back of the card such as a southbridge heatsink or something like that that would stick up to far that would interfere with proper seating of the card. If you have several pci slots you could just move it to a slot that is clear.

I will say that SATA cables can really be a pain to route when you're dealing with 8 comming out of one card. Even if the case has a lot of room, it can still be a challenge to route them properly. I have all EARS drives and have never had an issue using them with the card or with WHS. Just make sure you jumper them properly as mgannon pointed out.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

mksE55 wrote:
just a heads up on these look good and heck of a sale. 99.00

Highpoint RocketRaid http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6816115057
you will need cables but looks like great card at this price.

He only has PCI slots in his mother board, :) and now they are currently 134 a piece.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:49 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Sorry I didnt see where he only had PCI. this Rockraid cards are great. 8 total drives and superfast. see over 190MB/s from any sata HD in my machine. see over 240 MB/s from stripped HD. very happy so far. one caveat it didnt like it when I put another RocketRaid card in but it was a smaller R622 card so you may use more of these if needed.

Thanks