It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:56 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I just purchased a X510 and set it up over the last weekend and have just encountered an interesting issue

I have what appears to be a "trans gender" X510 – this morning it changed from being a DataVault X510 to a MediaSmart EX49x – what I mean by this is the whole "skin" of the WHS Console now reflects the HP MediaSmart branding versus the HP DataVault branding. For two days it was a DataVault and this morning without any fanfare it decided it would become a MediaSmart

It reports as a EX49x in the MediaSmart properties in Settings and curiously now reports the Serial Number as "To be filled by O.E.M" - whereas on the weekend it was reporting the serial number for the X510!

I'm not gonig to lose any sleep over it – I guess a Server Reinstall would fix it but it just goes to show how "frail" the skins are that HP have loaded over the core WHS environment

Has that happened to anyone else with an X510 at all? and any ideas on how to get my DataVault back - aside from a Server Reinstall?

WHS: HP StorageWorks X510 with V3.2 MSS, 2TBx2/1.5TB/1TB SATA HDD's, eSata Sans Digital TowerRAID TR4M-B with 1TBx2 and 500GB USB with clients - 4 x Win 7 Ult, 1 x Vista Ult, 1 x Vista Home Prem, 1 x XP Pro, 2 x XBOX360, APC ES BE700-AZ 700VA/450W

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:05 pm 
Founder
Founder

I just checked and mine has done this too. :( I suspect a Windows Update is the cause of the issue.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:25 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Phew - I'm kind of glad to hear I'm in good company....
and that I didn't charge off and do a WHS reinstall!

It was weird as I was working on setting it all up and transferring data across and bam one minute it was a X510 and then it became a EX49x

So has your Serial Number disappeared from the info page as well?

I thought HP had really figured out a way to "End of Life" the X510 range

We might need a reverse one of these - :hp:

WHS: HP StorageWorks X510 with V3.2 MSS, 2TBx2/1.5TB/1TB SATA HDD's, eSata Sans Digital TowerRAID TR4M-B with 1TBx2 and 500GB USB with clients - 4 x Win 7 Ult, 1 x Vista Ult, 1 x Vista Home Prem, 1 x XP Pro, 2 x XBOX360, APC ES BE700-AZ 700VA/450W

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:09 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I just checked mine and it still says DataVault. However, I have automatic updates turned off, I would rather handle these myself. There are 8 High Priority updates available and 5 Software updates available. A few of these state they are Windows Server updates.
That is what is showing using "Windows Update", if I do the updates from the console it shows 10 updates available. I wonder how the console update choses which to install.

One states: (using Windows Updates)
"The Windows Management Framework Core package includes Windows PowerShell 2.0 and Windows Remote Management (WinRM) 2.0"

I wonder if this could be the culpret. I think I'll hold off with these. I did update my Acer yesterday,using the console update, It's fine, if I check under Windows Updates now it shows 1 Software update available. But not the one mentioned above.

This is weird, I could understand a HP update changing it but not a Windows update.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Iggy for this post
Bodog WGS
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:52 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Iggy
Thanks for checking
So far it's only Alex and I with the issue - so I'm not so sure it is going to be widespread - it may be a "tinkerers" consequence - although I was only setting mine up and not messing with anything deep - but glitches happen
Fingers crossed it's not a widespread issue

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:21 pm 
Founder
Founder

The decision about which "skin" to use is made by data read from the BIOS, if that fails it defaults to a MSS mode which is probably what happened. I'm doing some more investigations.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
Bodog WGS
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:49 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
The decision about which "skin" to use is made by data read from the BIOS, if that fails it defaults to a MSS mode which is probably what happened. I'm doing some more investigations.

Thanks
For the life of me I can't think what I might of done that would cause that to happen.
But it sounds like you're on the case.
Much appreciated

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Finally getting back to this one...

I've got a brand new Seagate 1.5tb (non Advanced Format) so I'm going to put that in as my new System drive and do a Server Reinstall

I'm very familiar with WHS server reinstalls in terms of the WHS side of things eg reinstall addins, recreate users and reassociate clients etc so that's not an issue

My question is are there any gotcha's / tips for new players for the X510 DataVault that I need to take into consideration? - Appreciate any advice before I jump in

Last edited by Bodog WGS on Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:10 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Bodog WGS wrote:
Finally getting back to this one...

I've got a brand new Seagate 1.5tb (non Advanced Format) so I'm going to put that in as my new System drive and do a Server Reinstall

I'm very familiar with WHS server reinstalls in terms of the WHS side of things eg reinstall addins, recreate users and reassociate clients etc so that's not an issue

My question is are there any gotcha's / tips for new players for thee X510 DataVault that I need to take into consideration? - Appreciate any advice before I jump in

The first thing is I wouldn't use a 1.5tb drive for the system drive. It's a waste of drive space. You never want to store data on the system drive since it's very difficult, if possible, to recover if the drive fails. I use a 250gb drive I had here for my system drive. Use the 1.5 for the drive pool.

Other than that, when doing the recovery, when it asks if you want to download the latest files say no. Do the install and then go in and update the system. I believe even HP recommends doing it this way.

If your server is connected to a network and you have trouble connecting to it, by pass the network and connect it directly to your pc.

If you still have trouble connecting to it directly, go in and temporarly change you PC IP address to:
IP 169.37.37.38
Subnet 255.255.0.0
Gateway blank
DNS blank

This is what I had to do. Hp walked me through this. Once it downloads the data from the disc and reboots you can connect it back to the network and finish installing. And don't forget to change your pc IP address back to what is was. I don't know why it wouldn't find it over the network, my Acer works fine and so does my home built WHS.

Another tip, copy the recovery disc to your hard drive and do the recovery from there, it's much faster than doing it from the cd.

Other than that you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Iggy for this post
Bodog WGS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:29 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Iggy wrote:
The first thing is I wouldn't use a 1.5tb drive for the system drive. It's a waste of drive space

Ahh... the age old debate of how big/fast the WHS system drive should be. On a HP chassis I'm going to pack in as much capacitiy as I can those 4 slots (I'll be at 2x1.5tb and 2x2tb after this change) - so having some files on the system drive doesn't worry me. When you say that data can't be protected I dont believe youre correct - DE will duplicate it to another drive and give me that protection provided I have folder duplication enabled. I do want to stay away from using Advanced Format drives for the system drive though so if this 1.5tb Seagate fails I'll have to revert back to a 1tb drive as the other 1.5tb I have is a WD EARS drive

Thanks for the reinstall tips though - I know there's something that is an issue with EX495/X510 reinstalls - maybe it's the difficulty finding the server on the network. Thanks for the tip on making that happen

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:00 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I got the x510 for a backup when my 470 dies.
The 510 came with (1) 1TB seagate system drive.
I took it out of the box and pulled the system drive and put in a 2TB Hitachi, connected the network cable from the 510 directly to my netbook (per yakuza advice) and did the factory reset.
Got all the updates, installed a second 2TB Hitachi drive, added it to the pool. I wrote down the MAC address of the nic for later router config (i set all pc's on my network via MAC reservation) so they always get the same IP and put it back in the box. I have (2) more 2TB Hitachi on the shelf for use later.

I thought just as you, I want as much space as I can because I don't want to fool with external stuff till last resort.
I may even turn off duplacation on my movies if needed and have a non pooled for a external drive and use it for backups of the shares.
I have seen to many problems with external drives to have them in the pool.

Maybe with Vail (now that I see there might be a replacement for DE) we will be able to use the 3TB drives down the road.
I did not check to see if the 510 changed to a 490 and really wouldn't care, I got the 510 for the hardware and it was the final piece from HP.
Also am keeping my eye on the price of a CPU replacement for the 510 E8400 E8600 maybe. At some point I would like to rip and convert on the server.

Good luck with your 510 and you already have found the best place on the net for MSS info. :beerme:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:47 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Bodog WGS wrote:
Iggy wrote:
The first thing is I wouldn't use a 1.5tb drive for the system drive. It's a waste of drive space

Ahh... the age old debate of how big/fast the WHS system drive should be. On a HP chassis I'm going to pack in as much capacitiy as I can those 4 slots (I'll be at 2x1.5tb and 2x2tb after this change) - so having some files on the system drive doesn't worry me. When you say that data can't be protected I dont believe youre correct - DE will duplicate it to another drive and give me that protection provided I have folder duplication enabled. I do want to stay away from using Advanced Format drives for the system drive though so if this 1.5tb Seagate fails I'll have to revert back to a 1tb drive as the other 1.5tb I have is a WD EARS drive

You are correct about the system drive recovery. I keep forgetting I have file duplication turned off. My Acer has 7 drives, 250gb system drive and 6 2tb WD drives. They are 80% full so if I had duplication turned on it I would have a ton of drives connected to it. I'm trying to keep it as small as possible since I have it in my media center plus I hate to have 13+ drives spinning when I'm just watching a movie. I have a home built WHS which is a complete duplication of the Acer. The only time it's turned on it to update it. If there was a way I could add extra drives on the acer in another location I would consider adding 6 more drives to it and turn on duplication. I just haven't figured out how I can do that.

What I need is a tower that would hold at least 8 drives, USB interface and use that. I have a USB extender that works with Cat5 cable that allows it to be up to 150 feet in length. I haven't tried it yet but that is one option I'm looking at. It's just finding a 8 bay low energy usage USB storage unit.

I have not had the problem of my X510 changing to EX49x. I've had the unit(s) since last June. Although I am on my 3rd unit from HP. First 1 the lan just up and died. The replacement they sent me was a refub of course and it looked like it had been through the mill. Talk about dust inside and the chassis was slightly bent so the system drive was so hard to install that when I tried to pull it, it broke the caddy handle. so I made them send me another unit and new caddy.

Thanks