It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:13 pm 

If you have problems installing the new Windows Home Server Connector that came with the 25 of January patch. Here is the solution that worked for me. The unknown network error that I was getting was generated by a simple permission error, the connector software could not write to the Home Servers C:\Windows\Temp directory, so:

Grant "Read" and "Write" permissions to the "Network Service" group on "C:\Windows\Temp" folder at the WHS server

This worked like a charm :)

(Big Thx MWz and Javi for mentioning it at WGS)

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Mithorn for this post
Comp1962

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:50 am 

Thanks! That worked great. I was able to use Discovery.exe when I experienced the issue on a Win 7 Client and I tried using Discovery.exe on an XP Client which did not resolve the issue but your post did correct the issue.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:17 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

WOW! This one didn't get me, I'm surprised, I seem to find all the bugs.

I RDP into the server, saw the update, waited to reboot the server (wanted to see what happened to others), that was in the morning, went to work, got home and my win xp 32bit client wanted to reboot from a update on the connector. Rebooted the PC all went well, connector worked and then thought (what the heck) rebooted the server. All went well. My Win xp 64 bit client didn't do anything, I guess it did not need the update. :crazy:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Last edited by Gardian on Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:01 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

can someone tell me how to do this?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:07 pm 

Hey peste19,

As you can see Guardian was able to resolve his issue with a reboot, for me it was running Disovery.exe which is located on your client computer just look at the Windows Home Server Directory within Program Files and you should easily find it. However this only worked for one of my clients. The other way which started this message thread off is to RDP or RDC into your server using Remote Desktop Connection and change the permissions as described. I suggest you write down exactly what you do should you make a mistake you will be able to go back and put things back the way they were.

Good Luck!

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:50 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi All,

Well I installed the latest rollup. I did experience the prompt where my main PC needed to have the connector software upgraded. The upgrade
goes as far as prompting me to enter my WHS password. I enter the password and it fails with

"This operation cannot be completed at this time - please try again later"

I even reset my WHS password and confirmed it was correct yet I still get this error?

Any ideas MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

Marcus

Cisco 2950 24 port switch
Linksys WRT 54G Gen2 G Wireless AP
Compaq server rack + patch panel
30meg cable connection

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:29 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Does the Connector otherwise get upgraded automatically on all of the connected PCs?

The reason I ask is because my daughter's laptop, which runs Windows 7 x86, prompted last week that the connector installation was almost complete, and that I had to reboot the computer to complete the installation.

None of the other computers have ever given any kind of message, but they continue to get backed up faithfully every night. That leads me to believe that the Connectors installed on them either got updated, or the version installed was new enough that no upgrade was required. In any case, I'm not going to tempt fate by trying to manually upgrade them. If they're working, I'm going to leave them alone!

Danke,
Matt

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:27 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

msawyer91 wrote:
Does the Connector otherwise get upgraded automatically on all of the connected PCs?

The reason I ask is because my daughter's laptop, which runs Windows 7 x86, prompted last week that the connector installation was almost complete, and that I had to reboot the computer to complete the installation.

None of the other computers have ever given any kind of message, but they continue to get backed up faithfully every night. That leads me to believe that the Connectors installed on them either got updated, or the version installed was new enough that no upgrade was required. In any case, I'm not going to tempt fate by trying to manually upgrade them. If they're working, I'm going to leave them alone!

Danke,
Matt

The connector install goes all the way to the point where it asks me to enter the WHS password, which I do, then it fails.
I manually changed the "Windows Home Server" password within the console and tried again, but not luck.

The install even puts an icon for the WHS on my desktop. Unfortunately, due to the credentials failing for some reason,
I cannot back it up. The option to manually backit up is greyed out in the backups part of the console.

30meg cable connection

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:52 am 

Marcust: You are getting the error as the network component wants to send you the upgraded client, it can't write to the servers c:\windows\temp directory, set the permissions and it will work. My error also popped up after entering the correct password, this one solves it. JUst follow the advice I wrote in the first post in this topic.

AS for how to do it exactly: Make a remote desktop connection to your server, then navigate to c:\windows\temp, then right click on the temp directory name and select sharing and security, then select the security tab, select add, type in Network to the Enter the object names to select then click check, it should pop up Network and Network SErvice, Select Network SErvice to add. THen at the permissions tab give the Network SErvice Componnent full control. I hope this helps you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:47 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Mithorn wrote:
Marcust: You are getting the error as the network component wants to send you the upgraded client, it can't write to the servers c:\windows\temp directory, set the permissions and it will work. My error also popped up after entering the correct password, this one solves it. JUst follow the advice I wrote in the first post in this topic.

AS for how to do it exactly: Make a remote desktop connection to your server, then navigate to c:\windows\temp, then right click on the temp directory name and select sharing and security, then select the security tab, select add, type in Network to the Enter the object names to select then click check, it should pop up Network and Network SErvice, Select Network SErvice to add. THen at the permissions tab give the Network SErvice Componnent full control. I hope this helps you.

Thanks. I tried that twice. Again, I enter the correct WHS password, it tries to authenticate it and I get `the operation could not be completed at this time`

I even went one step further and gave the network service full control to the root of C:windows. No dice either.

UGH!

30meg cable connection

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:28 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Man, Sorry, I feel the pain. These little jewels are so touchy.
Sounds like a backup/reset with lots of (*^$#%^&*%@$!*&*) as you go, at least that's what I do.
Goodluck

Thanks to Comp1962 I always have 1 drive not pooled for backups, it saved me from losing 20 years of data on the last 2 resets.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks