It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:41 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

robbyy wrote:
wow. If that's a normal error, I'm feeling like I'm running out of options :(

I had read elsewhere that the audio configuration error was a hangup for others and the fix in post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9350 looked to help resolve it via virtual audio cable.

As for the the console switch, I haven't been logging in that way. I have been logging in as 'administrator' tho. When I tried using the switch (with either the name or IP) I get an error message:
Attachment:
ConsoleError.jpg

Obviously, I'm missing something. Thx for all your patience.

Yep, you're missing a Mac :D

To run in console mode in Windows, you have to run terminal services from the command line: mstsc.exe /v:<servername> /admin. Logging in as administrator is not enough. You need to log into the same session on the server each time, and there is only one consistent way to do that.

Trying to duplicate that other user's experience in the thread to which you linked was the experiment that required me to clean off my server and do a fresh install of iTunes. I couldn't duplicate his results. I also think the configuration is more invasive an approach than I want to take. If you can't get iTunes running all by itself on the server, then you don't stand a prayer of getting a more involved configuration like that one to work.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:06 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Cliff,
Thank you for your help; I am able to setup iTunes on my WHS server and successfully connect my AppleTV (first generation) to the iTunes library on WHS. I switched off the streaming option on the AppleTV, though, to sync some music and videos. :whs:

Even though I have turned on the Sharing option on on iTunes, I dont like the list like presentation of thousands of songs when I open the shared library. Instead of of , I am shared the iTunes library (.itl file) and open the same library on another machine. Thanks to another post for sharing the tip about pressing 'shift' while launching iTunes on windows machines. This allows me to not only see the entire library as albums, I dont have to worry about syncing all the machines either.

I still need to figure out now to remotely back up my Macs on WHS. Looks like the add-in for network backup is no longer available for download.

Thank you very much once again. I will share my final setup in few days.

Gaurav

Client3: Win7 Prof 32bit
Client4: MacBook Pro
Client5: Mac Mini

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:36 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Cliff,

Do you run all of your VM at the same time? Wondering how's the backup going

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:14 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

coldrider wrote:
Cliff,

Do you run all of your VM at the same time? Wondering how's the backup going

I may run several. I am working on a SQL Server 2008 certification at the moment and I am working through the chapters on fault tolerance, so I have several server instances running concurrently. If I am doing client/server development, then I will run a server instance and a Windows client. It kind of depends.

Backup of what?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:28 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Cliff,

I'm sorry my thought came before my typing... Looking at your post on Apple TV.. I can have the same stuff, but to the question. I was wondering do you use the WHS to backup your system & the VM also. If so how's it & did you run into any problems with the VM OS

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:54 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

coldrider wrote:
Cliff,

I'm sorry my thought came before my typing... Looking at your post on Apple TV.. I can have the same stuff, but to the question. I was wondering do you use the WHS to backup your system & the VM also. If so how's it & did you run into any problems with the VM OS

I use robocopy to back up the server itself. I have a Thermaltake eSATA bare drive dock and a couple of WD15EADS drives. I periodically (~weekly) mirror individual shares to the external drives. There is a huge thread somewhere talking about automating server backups that goes into detail on this. I don't automate, but the software and the principle is pretty much the same.

As far as backing up my Mac Pro goes, I take a few approaches. First, I periodically make a bootable clone of the system drive to a FW800 eternal drive using Super Duper!. Color me cautious, but if the crap hits the fan I don't want to mess around with dongles and bootstrapping into the TM backup on the WHS. Give me a drive I can boot into OS X from. Once I'm there I'll figure out what I need to do next.

Second, I use TM to backup to the WHS machine, but I exclude a few sets of very large files from that backup. WHS and the HP TM implementation don't lend themselves to very large backups sets as DE is file based and doesn't support striping files across drives. So room has to be found on a single drive for the sparsebundle file. The one for my Mac Pro is 400GB, and that's enough to take care of most of my data for a reasonable historical period. I exclude from the TM backup the VM file folder, my photo files and Lightroom catalogs, and a drive I use for video transcoding.

I use a backup utility from Intego software called Personal Backup. It's kind of expensive and in some ways sucks, but it mostly does what I want. I use it to run scheduled nightly backup scripts to mirror the Documents folder hierarchy, and my image files and Lightroom catalogs to folders on the server. I mirror the Documents to provide a quick and dirty form of document sharing. The Documents folder is also included in the TM backups.

I backup the VMWare files manually. These are package files, and when they are copied to the Windows box, Windows sees them as plain old folders and has a tough time with too long path names contained within them. I started to write a shell script to maintain zip archives for individual files, but I was having a heck of a time dealing with spaces in the file names and gave up. I have a shell script with the files hardcoded in it to create a zip archive for each VM. The backup utility then backs up each archive file to the server. I only do this on demand as the VMs aren't all that dynamic. In the aggregate, they are also quite large, like 100GB, and they take a while to copy to the server. edit: Another option for this might be to create a disk image to host the virtual machine files, mount that and use it as the target for the backups.

FWIW, LaCie sells a version of Personal Backup that may suck less than the one I am using. I am tempted to try it if the license expiration also causes the software to cease to function.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:23 pm 

Hi All,

I am new to the Mac world, having acquired my first just last week. Up to this point I have installed iTunes 10 onto my MSS and have been using this central library to service 2 x Apple TV, a PC and an iPhone through the PC. There has never been an issue with having the library open on the MSS and the PC concurrently. It would seem however that the Mac has an issue with this. I can open the library with my iMac if it is not open on the MSS but if the server has it open the iMac gives me a locked library error.

Any suggestions as to how I can work around this? I am not keen on sharing as I want to be able to add media through the iMac into the pool and then let all devices have access to it. Failing a reolution to this I will create a unique library file on the iMac but point the library to the mapped frive on the server. The downside to this is that I need to access itunes on each device to have the added files show up in both libraries.

I love the ability to shuffle media around the house. I am especially pleased with the continued advances of XBMC which I find a rich environment to work from. Without this site I would be much further behind the eight ball then I am currently.

Thanks,

Kevin

Thanks