It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:32 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

No longer on sale price at J&R but their customer service assured me they have one final order coming in of the ex495 units and while they can't tell precisely how many are coming, they said it is an amount >20 units.

$639 is the current J&R price with free shipping. So it appears New Egg still has them beat by $10 for the time being.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:04 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Rookhawk wrote:
No longer on sale price at J&R but their customer service assured me they have one final order coming in of the ex495 units and while they can't tell precisely how many are coming, they said it is an amount >20 units.

$639 is the current J&R price with free shipping. So it appears New Egg still has them beat by $10 for the time being.

I have had an EX 495 on backorder with J&R since December 9. I was told that they had a confirmed order with HP for 10 units and I would be on the list (I can't recall if he said I would be number 4 or number 6). Since that time, I have called twice to see if they still expect the shipment in and they have confirmed that they do. Last night, I decided to bite the bullet and order one through Amazon, albeit at a higher price.

Called J&R today and they confirmed that they no longer expect the shipment from HP, so J&R canceled my backorder.

EDIT: Received a email this evening that J&R canceled my order.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:21 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I also called J&R today and they confirmed that they won't be getting the units in. I canceled my order. I guess I'll order a EX490 from Amazon and then upgrade the processor. On the other hand, will a dual core processor cost more than the difference in price between the EX490 and the EX495? Difference is $140. How much are the processors running for those who have upgraded their EX490?

Update (before I even posted this!) Ordered the EX490 from Amazon and ordered a Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9300 from MicroCenter. The total of both items was less than the EX495 by $31.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:37 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

If you are in the UK and looking for an X510, then ebuyer still have them in stock a plenty. They dont ship to the US though.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:58 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Wow... the Gods must have been shining down on me.

On Dec. 9th, I decided I wanted the ex495 now that no new models were coming out. I checked for the best price on the ex495 on Dec. 9th and they were sold out in Canada & Newegg.com after shipping + taxes/duty to the states wouldn't be worth it. Dec. 10th I stumble across hpshopping.com and they had it for $579 and I used a $25 off coupon to get it for $554. Got it shipped to WA state after taxes for just under $600 with free 2 day shipping. Canada border guards, very nice ppl :) let me go through without having to pay taxes or duty because I am honest and declared the item and its full price. Got it home for just over $600CAD after conversion :D so happy i fluked out as I would ahve been so upset if I didn't get it as it has been everything I hoped for so far.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:38 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Got my EX490 from Amazon a week ago and have installed a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 processor. Idle temps around 49C-51C so I'm a happy camper. One thing I've noticed is the Console takes longer and longer to load as I add more add-ins. I hope that Vail takes a different approach to how add-ins are handled. Extra cores isn't going to cure that issue.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:28 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Picked my 490 up off newegg for 315 shipped. All I had to do was reset it since the original buyer(travis) had set up and I didnt have his password.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:54 pm 

I don't know if you guys have a Micro Center store but some of them still have some left. The only problem is that they don't ship.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:21 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Newegg had the EX-495 again for $549.99 with Promo Code EMCKJKF66. Promo codes expire 1/10/11

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6859105563

Wish I could justify another one!!! Love this thing!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 am 

i may just have to get another one. dammmm

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:41 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Update and of 1/6/11 PM

At this point most main line vendors have sold out and have removed the product from their sites. New Egg still has EX490 and EX495 units as well as some of the X510s. Amazon is only selling the EX490 directly, other models are via secondary vendors.

HP: EX490 is gone, but the EX495 is back up on the site at $599.99 although it is showing as sold out, frankly I don't know that I would hold my breath. X510s are gone as well.

New Egg: EX490 is in stock @ 489.99; EX 495@ $629.99 Both in stock; X510 1TB-Sold Out; 2TB @ $849.99; 3TB @$969.99 - The X510 prices jumped quite a bit.

Amazon: EX490 @ $486.00 - in stock & sold by Amazon; EX495 @ $749 - in stock, but sold through authorized resellers (secondary vendors); X510 1TB @ $799.84; 2TB @ $802.19; 3TB @ $939.63 - All X510s are sold through authorized resellers (secondary vendors). The confusing wrinkle with Amazon is that that have stocks they sell themselves as well as authorized resellers. I advise shopping carefully because the reseller prices seem to be higher and the vendor ratings vary.

JR: No longer listed. As noted earlier, at one point J&R thought they were getting more in, but that didn't happen. Obviously they've come to terms with it and have removed all references from their web site.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank TechVet for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:53 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Newegg has an open box EX495 for $$391 right now!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank murchman for this post
norwegianblue
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:39 pm 

Hi, I am new to this forum, just found out about MS Home Server last week, and decided I wanted to get one of the HP models before they're gone. From what I've read here, they are exactly what I need.

So, here is how I accidentally ended up with an LX195 instead of the EX495, which is what I wanted.

I ordered the EX495 from Fry's online for a store pickup. They told me it was open box, but complete, so I drove 40+ miles to pick it up, only to find that the software was missing. I asked to talk to a knowledgeable salesperson, and he was actually the one who pointed out that the software was missing. He then told me that the're was another model down was a better deal anyway, and all that I needed. Here is where I made my mistake - I assumed that this was the EX490, which seemed like a great deal for $350. If I seem like a moron, please keep in mind that I am a newbie, and I was tired.

So I get home, then realize that I got the LX195, but didn't really want to drive back. I decided that perhaps the LX195 is all I needed, but I couldn't even get my Windows Vista computer to connect to the server! I tried with my Windows 7 laptop, and same result. Tried to download their Connection Troubleshooter, which ran 35 tetst. I got a message saying that the servers uses a TCP port (don't recall the number right now), so I added access for that port in my Windows firewall.

I think I am done tinkering with this. I also learned that the software is an older version, and that the box doesn't have any bays for extra drives. Initially, I thought that wasn't such a big deal, but then I realized that the setup eventually would end up looking like a giant octupus, as the external hard drives will have to be connected to their respective power supplies as well.

The LX195 is going back, even if I have to pay the 15% restocking fee (which I will try to get them to waive, since the product didn''t work and since it already was an open box).

Posting this to warn other newbies like me to be careful to ensure that what you get is what you really set out to get.

I think I will still get the EX495, I am thinking about buying it from Data Master, LLC through Amazon. It is a bit pricey at $759, but I have an Amazon card with 6 months interest free. Do you guys think this is insane? I am thinking that I will get a lot of use out of it, as I have a lot of media data + work data on several computers. I really like to have the option to pay over time.

I guess the last question is intended to see if any of you know of any great deals out there. I see Newegg has the EX495 for about $630, and although that is about $120 cheaper, I really like the idea of being able to pay this off over 6 months.

Sorry about the ramble...maybe what I am looking for is some validation that the EX495 is a good investment. It seems strange to buy a product that is no longer going to be supported, but it seems to be exactly what I need. Not sure about the Acer models.

Thanks for reading.

Sverre in Northern California

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:21 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

If it was me (and it was about 3 weeks ago-see my sig) I'd buy the EX490 and then if you like it and decide to stick with it, you can upgrade the processor. You can upgrade the processor for less than $100 which means you still come out ahead over the EX495. You don't need the 1.5 TB hard drive. The 1 TB hard drive in the EX490 will be just fine for starting off. Amazon also had WD Green drives for $79 after rebate so I'd pick up 1 or 2 of those if you have the money. These drives are regularly available for around $100 so you don't need to buy them right away unless you really want to spend the money right now.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank TxDot for this post
norwegianblue
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:20 pm 

TxDot-Thanks for the advice-yes I did read your posts. However, I already ordered the EX495 through Amazon-probably overpaid but I really need a good backup solution ASAP. I have a couple of old external hard drives and 3-4 computers with all kinds of media and data, and I am really looking forward to getting it all in one central location.

Returned the LX195 to Fry's with full credit, no restocking fee, and I picked up a WD Green 2 GB internal drive for $97 - I worked out a deal this way and avoided the 15% restocking fee for the LX195.

Happy as a clam, can't wait to get my Ex495!

I really think it is a great shame that HP is discontinuing these. Hope that other mfgs, such as Acer, will pick up the torch.

Sverre in Caliifornia

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next