It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Synology Ds1511+
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:27 am 

Hey guys, new to forum. Long story short: I just about to pull the trigger on the 495 a couple days ago and then read all this news on Vail and the end of Drive Extender and the end of HP's Smartserver line.

I use a windows 7 home edition in my HTPC using WMC+Media broswer. (4tb + 2tb external) right now. I also have a office/gaming computer with aboout 15tb in it right now with that shared to the network. I am using a D-link 323 with 2tb on the network. I have a lot more media I need to get on the network so I need to upgrade.

I have just started reading about Synology's New DS1511+ Can't post links yet but google it and youll get lots of results if you haven't heard of it yet.
http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DS1511+/index.php

If I was going to go with the Smart server I was going to go with the 495 a fill it with 2tb hd's and then do kind of what edge did and grab some smaller synology (i think them) eSata and usb to addon for it. I am probably looking to start around 15gb and be able to expand.

For the price and whatever else what would you guys recommend. I know the synology and Hp arent the same. I also know the synology is a lot more money; without any HD's its around $900.

I am still really on the fence about the smartserver line, but I don't know if it being discontinued would affect me all that much. I would like something for about 5 years or so.

Last edited by yakuza on Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
added link

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Synology Ds1511+
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:36 pm 
Founder
Founder

Added a link for you in your post. :)

I just took a quick look and that Synology looks to have a nice feature set, I need to take a closer look at their offerings. I don't feel informed enough about the Synology products to advise you on a choice, but I'll offer my perspective on the MediaSmart Servers. Of course we love them around here, and see them being in our homes for a long time, most likely running WHS v1 given the recent Vail news. If longevity is a concern, you might try to instead get the HP Data Vault x510 (identical to the EX495) as it has a 3 year warranty vs the 1 year of the MSS products. I don't see any need to upgrade or replace my EX495 for quite a while, though I have about 1/3 the storage needs as you.

Hopefully some others will chime in with their recommendations, and definitely let us know what you decide to do!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
Solipsism
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:10 pm 

Thanks for the quick reply, and the link. By the way I have been trolling around here and there since I built my HTPC a year ago. (Primarly used a laptop for an htpc before that) I appreciate the site.

Hopefully I decide while the 495's are still on the market. I am not too interested in the warranty as long as I can buy replacement parts. I would most likely upgrade the processor/ram eventually if it needed it.

I think the chance of running a more modern WHS would have been nice, but I am not really losing anything since I wasn't aware of any of the changes in Vail or anything else to do with that.

Maybe someone else will give their opinion. I still think the Smartserver wins in the price category for what I need.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:00 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I just purchased the X510, pulled the main sys drive and did a reset with a 2 TB drive, purchased 4 extra 2TB drives, got it all setup and put it back in the box for later.
I have the ex470 and just did a reset to freshen it up.

Your right, Price and cuteness you just can't beat the MSS, (see above) I plan to use it for awhile 5-7 years, maybe more, with the x510 being 64 bit hardware (Vail) might be a option down the road but I'm not holding my breath.

If I had to do it over again, wow, I think I would do it the same way. That being said, HP has so much going for it but fails in the end and I don't mean just this product. You just can't trust them and this should not have been a surprize. This was my second purchase from HP (IQ816 AIO) and I feel like I was left out in the cold on both.
Of course Microsoft didn't help matters in this mess. :crazy: But thst's microsoft, we should be use to it by now.

There are many other options, but again, you need to figure out how much you want to spend on your data. Hundreds or thousands.

I would say go with the MSS and see what is down the road, if nothing else you can play and learn on something cheaper (keeep a backup of your data) and we all will be watching for the next cool thing.
Good luck hope this helps.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:00 am 

I would still recommend the Media Smart Server as long as they are available. I currently have a DIY WHS with approx 25TB spread across 15 drives. With the news of Vail I still plan on running WHS v1 for the foreseeable future, and would like to think that it will be a viable product for several years to come, especially with such a great support community. If I was building a new server right now I would still lean heavily towards WHS v1 but would have to seriously consider other alternatives because of my storage size.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:39 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Before I found the MSS I ran Vista ultimate as my Media server with tuner cards and everything.
Performance was outstanding but I had to manage my storage manually.
MSS/WHS offered a very easy to operate option but I had to give up much of my media options.
I was hoping Vail would rectify that but unfortunately it went the other way, so faced with what will likely be having to manage my storage manually again I opted to move back to a Windows7 Ultimate arrangement an get back my ability to easily support tuners and third party software on my "Server"
Of course I still have my MSS/WHS system acting as my always available web/music/photo server.
And it also handle all my backups and so still serves a very important function.
But my heavy lifting is now done by my Win7 driven Beast.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:34 pm 

I am currently on the fence more then ever. I think the HP solution would be easier but I am leaning towards a DIY WHS build while keeping in mind the Synology solution as well. I trolled a few of the DIY threads today regarding the Shawshank, Beast and a couple other Norco builds.

I currently run an i7-920 w/ 6Gb ram on my main desktop with a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R mobo. I was hoping the 1366 socket would be futuresafe with Sandy bridge but alas its not. So I may go with a new Sandy build in the new Year and use the i7 and ram combo with a different mobo (unless I can see this one working out since its also got USB 3.0) and some SAS cards for DIY build. Ill have to see when sandy bridge comes out though, yet I want to start the build in January if I do choose to go this route. ( I understand I won't be able to support all that ram in WHSv1)

I would also use the machine for backing up blu-rays so the i7 would come in handy for that. This option also allow me to upgrade my main desktop while still making use of my (soon to be old) components.

Either way, I got a lot of reading to do to see which setup makes the most sense to me. Im going with a minimum 20tb storage. My problem is the support of the new 3tb drives that I would like to use aren't supported by WHS v1.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:18 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

The kind of thinking you are doing is what made build a DIY based on Win7. I want to be prepared for the future and WHS v1 does not really help on that.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:12 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

cubanblood wrote:
The kind of thinking you are doing is what made build a DIY based on Win7. I want to be prepared for the future and WHS v1 does not really help on that.

What ways do you think WHS v1 is not future proof? I'm considering purchasing it.

I mean...should there be any issues with sharing? It plays fine with Windows 7, is there any other software you can't run on it now that would require vail or windows 7? It doesn't seem like much of a risk until at least windows 8, and even then what could possibly break...or what is up and coming that WHS v1 will not be able to handle?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:15 am 

bvone21 wrote:
cubanblood wrote:

What ways do you think WHS v1 is not future proof? I'm considering purchasing it.

I mean...should there be any issues with sharing? It plays fine with Windows 7, is there any other software you can't run on it now that would require vail or windows 7? It doesn't seem like much of a risk until at least windows 8, and even then what could possibly break...or what is up and coming that WHS v1 will not be able to handle?

The only lack of "future proof" with WHS v1 is support for Advanced Format hard drives that I can think of. Other then that for the purpose of what many people use WHS for there is no reason why it cannot function as is for the foreseeable future (I agree with you, not sure what other future proofing people would want)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:53 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Yeah advance fortmat drive is one but not having a 64-bit version is a limitation specially for ram upgrade. I currently have the 4GB stick but i am running a few apps that uses a lot of ram. The other limitation is size of hard drives and number of drives allowed on the pool. Dont get me wrong whs has serve me well and i love it but i always plan ahead just in case.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:59 am 

cubanblood wrote:
Yeah advance fortmat drive is one but not having a 64-bit version is a limitation specially for ram upgrade. I currently have the 4GB stick but i am running a few apps that uses a lot of ram. The other limitation is size of hard drives and number of drives allowed on the pool. Dont get me wrong whs has serve me well and i love it but i always plan ahead just in case.

I definitely agree with that (except that for the average WHS user there is no need for RAM over 4GB unless you really start taking WHS above the "normal" use). For me there are just too many things you lose with W7 as a server ( redundency, one storage pool, etc... I have no desire to set up and maintain RAID). The one big concern I have with W7 is I see a lot of reports about issues with smb and W7 (which smb I use to stream from my WHS to my media players). An alternative would be to go with NFS

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:59 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I agree that redundance and storage pool are a great feature an i will still use it on my MSSs because i can sleep better at night :cheers:. Before i bought my MSS i was using Win7 to share files, airvideo and ps3mediaserver and the only problem i had was that i my wife had to enter the username and pass to access files everytime. This got fix once i mapped the shares. I know this is going to be a long shot and it probably wont be my main server for a while but i am getting ready.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:33 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I see the whole Win7 X64 project as a means to get prepared for Vail.
Should Vail present just an awsome tool set Minus DE it should ve a very simple migration unlike a WHSv1 > Vail move.
And should Vail either be too expensive or not off a robust tool set, I'm perectly good staying on win7.
I have solved most if not all my concerns about redundancy and expandability.
Im having more hardware issue's at this point than software issues and of course just sorting 17TB of files takes awhile.
But the performance is very much better under win7 than WHSv1 I think this is simply a 64bit vs a 32bit issue though as it now uses all 6gb of ram and handles that big i7 better.
There is no hint of slugishness at all.
But I do want to point out I have a stock EX490 that backsup some of my folders and handles all my photos/music/Disti/Web stuff so I still very much support WHSv1 and feel it has a place for a long time to come.
That ex490 my live on as a WHSv1 box imdefinately unless vail just bowls me over.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:49 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I am not keeping my hopes up on Vail. If Vail does become a reality and the only thing missing is DE might give it a try and see what options become available to replace DE. Even though i have been thinking and maybe this move was a tactic use by MS to evaluate the response from user.

Thanks