It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:52 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Well I was able to get the Time Machine backup support working on my new EX490 but not without some effort. First attempt to create a backup file failed on the first Mac. Turns out I had to create the Mac shared folder. Not sure if this is normal but not exactly user friendly. After creating the share (and not turning on duplication thanks again MSS.net) the first Mac worked perfectly which was good so I could understand the process of creating the backup file and mounting it for TM use. The second machine would create the backup file but not mount it. Just would say starting for a few mins then fail. Well after searching the site here I found a reference to turning off the Firewall. Worked perfectly after that. I do know that the Firewall is turned off by default on both OS X 10.5 and 10.6. If I turn it on the MSS system preferences will not mount any backup files. I also learned from this site about dragging the mounted Backup into the Login Items. So now that I have the file mounted and TM is working fine and I have it starting with login I was thinking I might be able turn the Firewall back on? I have not tried it yet as I am done with this for now and I am not sure how critical it is to have a firewall on the Mac.

Anyway, I have to say thanks to MSS.net and everyone who shared their experience so I could get this going.

-- Bob

Last edited by slabo on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:19 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I don't normally keep my Mac firewall turned on, but out of curiosity I just turned it on and ran an immediate TM backup, which completed without error. I suspect you will want to make sure that the 3 programs beginning with hp that are listed in the attached screencap of the advanced setting dialog are present in your configuration too.

FWIW, I do not have the TM backup volume automounted via login items for either of my computers.

Attachments:
Screen shot 2010-12-12 at 4.13.54 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-12-12 at 4.13.54 PM.png [ 98.58 KiB | Viewed 8702 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:24 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks Cliff. Well it looks like hpVDProxy is what needs to Allow incoming from the console messages it generates. I have the two hpMSS apps in the list on my 10.5 mac and nothing at all in the 10.6 mac list. Any idea how to add it as I can't seem to figure it out?

Ok, do I need to mount the backups at login? Does TM mount them as needed? or how does it work if not? How do you work you Mac backups?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:18 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I deleted that entry from my list of exceptions and the TM backup still completed successfully. It is conceivable that a reboot would be necessary to completely clear it, but I am not interested in rebooting my computer at the moment. The odds are better that it's something else that is preventing you from doing what you want. I would suggest you start posting up screencaps of your firewall configuration since it's the one that isn't working.

FWIW, that program is part of the package that makes up the com_hp_MSS_VirtualDisk.kext kernel extension.

Attachments:
Screen shot 2010-12-12 at 6.10.35 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-12-12 at 6.10.35 PM.png [ 106.48 KiB | Viewed 8237 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:52 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ok I will give it a try and post a screenshot. What about my other question? How do you handle your Mac backups and why or why not mount at login?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:30 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I configured my TM backups in a manner completely consistent with the EX490/EX495 user guide. I do not automount the backup volume because that is not required to make this feature work.

TM backups work fine through the Mac firewall (again, normally turned off) on my other machine as well. I would suggest you start with posting screencaps of all 3 of your MSS preferences panes. Cmd+Shift+4+spacebar then click the window to capture it to a file which will be saved to your desktop.

Revisiting your first post, which was edited sometime after I responded last night:

slabo wrote:
Turns out I had to create the Mac shared folder. Not sure if this is normal but not exactly user friendly.

This is not normal as the share exists on the disk image of the MSS machine as it is delivered. I don't know what happened to yours.

slabo wrote:
After creating the share (and not turning on duplication thanks again MSS.net) the first Mac worked perfectly which was good so I could understand the process of creating the backup file and mounting it for TM use.

Ok, so one machine works.

slabo wrote:
The second machine would create the backup file but not mount it. Just would say starting for a few mins then fail.

If the problem is limited to a second machine, my inclination would be to uninstall and reinstall the connector on that machine. Make sure you install the connector from the MSS share (http://<server name>:55000/). The <server name>/Software/Mac/HP MSS Client.dmg file contains the uninstaller. I would restart your machine after uninstalling the software just to be on the safe side.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ok you are right there is no need to add the backup volume to the login items as they just mount automatically after reboot as you said. I just misunderstood the prior posts about this.

So I reinstalled the software on the 10.5.8 Mac but this time I had the firewall turned off during the install and it worked perfectly even after a reboot (well it took 2 reboots) with the firewall on.

So my advice to everyone would be to turn off the firewall during the install of the Mac connector. I think I will turn if off anyway. I noticed the RDC works better with it off or at least it remembers my servers IP address if its turned off.

Thanks Cliff for your help.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:51 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I'm glad things are working again.

Thanks