It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:30 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Since things are looking like the point of no return for HP/MS MSS, I think we should press for one last update. Im in the market for a ex49x myself and it would be nice if HP did the right thing for the abandoned user base and address the outstanding bugs in the software. I know we all banded together to get the 3.0 software on the ex47x. I think we should do it again!!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:09 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I understand where you are going, but the team that would perform those updates has already been dismantled and reassigned to webOS projects. I would not hold my breath...

Jim

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:30 pm 
Founder
Founder

What Jim said. Plus, if they didn't fix the bugs over the last year, why would they put resources into it now?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:31 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Your right I know, and that is SAD on HP's part. But, there is always hoping and showing them what we want.

I have some friend that worked for HP and I have to agree with them on this when HP comes out with a spectacular product they fail at promoting it. They will promote the hell out of junk sometimes though.

Kinda like the windows slate. looked like a really good product at first then scraped. Then rumors of resurrection but its hardware turned lame. Then windows version was scrapped. Now looks like a WebOS version to try combat itune/ipad dominance but really nothing about it at all. Nothing.

The Mediasmart was basically the same way. Great product HP did a great job. But you didnt see it in HP flyer or ads. hard to find support on website. Just Crappy marketing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:02 pm 

I agree with the others that HP is almost certainly not going to be putting any more development work into their WHS add-ons. I would much rather they donate their proprietary code to the community so we can see the torch carried on by others.

Ken

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:03 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Assuming the team has been dismantled as mentioned earlier (which I imagine it must) there's just no chance really. An update would require project manager people, software people, scheduling work, testing people, hardware lab space... Plus to be brutally honest, I imagine at this point HP doesn't actually care what we want - until they have a product previous MSS owners are likely to spent money on (I doubt many of us will by a Drobo) we're simply not a market they're going to spend money satisfying.

I think our best bet now is the enthusiast community itself, or 3rd party programs.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:05 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well lets hope that is the way things happen. Im scared that this series of bad news is going to disappoint enthusiast an they will give up all development.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:12 am 
Founder
Founder

Why not list out what you'd want to see and find out if there's enough interest from the community to inspire work on Add-Ins.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
Diehard
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:19 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Or... Has anyone approached HP to see if they would release/sell/license the source code for their software to the community. There seems to be little reason to keep all that work bottled up. I can understand where there would be some worry about folks resurrecting a competitive product from the ashes of the Phoenix so to speak, however, contracts can be put in place to prevent that sort of thing. I could see MediaSmartServer.net being the keeper of the code so to speak with a team of contractually restricted code-writing MVPs working on program fixes/enhancements. Alex and others seem to have enough experience to make things on our end work just fine. If we had to generate some funds for the lawyers, etc... I'm sure we could sell site subscriptions that would allow a user to gain access to the modified code, upgrades, etc...

My concern is that HP has already released a few updates to the software that aren't necessarily reflected on the Recovery CDs. What happens when I need to do a Server Rebuild/Restore 3-5 years from now? Will those updates still be out there on the HP site?? If not we could find ourselves painted into a corner with nowhere to go.

I would not be surprised if the overture were to be rejected, but you never know until you ask.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank TechVet for this post
Diehard
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:56 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

TechVet wrote:
Or... Has anyone approached HP to see if they would release/sell/license the source code for their software to the community. There seems to be little reason to keep all that work bottled up. I can understand where there would be some worry about folks resurrecting a competitive product from the ashes of the Phoenix so to speak, however, contracts can be put in place to prevent that sort of thing. I could see MediaSmartServer.net being the keeper of the code so to speak with a team of contractually restricted code-writing MVPs working on program fixes/enhancements. Alex and others seem to have enough experience to make things on our end work just fine. If we had to generate some funds for the lawyers, etc... I'm sure we could sell site subscriptions that would allow a user to gain access to the modified code, upgrades, etc...

My concern is that HP has already released a few updates to the software that aren't necessarily reflected on the Recovery CDs. What happens when I need to do a Server Rebuild/Restore 3-5 years from now? Will those updates still be out there on the HP site?? If not we could find ourselves painted into a corner with nowhere to go.

I would not be surprised if the overture were to be rejected, but you never know until you ask.

Very good Points I for one would back this Idea with my system and my Money for some good support and Add ins.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:00 am 
Founder
Founder

That is a decent idea, TechVet, however before we approached HP on this I'd probably ask again what features the community is specifically after. I would want this because to be honest I'd rather re-implement a new version of Media Collector rather than try to fix HPs, if that is the feature that everyone wants.

T-Bone, I'd like to give you an action item since you brought this up :D - come up with a list of all the HP features in the 3.0 software, and we can consider creating a poll to see what features users would want to see continued. If we get good consistent feedback on what people want maintained, I can contact HP as well as talk with some of the other WHS add-in devs about duplicating some of those features.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:34 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

For starters I'd like to see the Sleep functionality fixed once and for all. After spending some time with it back last Fall, I can point to the exact error in the code (or at least the result of the error) to make that a relatively easy fix.

I don't use the Media Collector functionality, but can see where it might be improved/replaced.

Bring back the picture share features of Version 1. Honestly if I were to pick one thing I miss the most, it would be that photo web share functionality of the EX 47x series.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:25 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

im on board with that.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:30 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

It would be great if HP released the code for the HP software to Alex. It would show some loyalty to the MediaSmart community developed here. With the resources here, those bugs such as Sleep and Media Collector could be fixed. I would like to see other add-ins built using the HP Console Tab.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:48 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

An other point on releasing the code would be to fix these bugs and make the software suite available to other users outside the MediaSmart Server product that use WHS v1. I have heard that many people using WHS v1 would gladly pay to have this funtionality. With Alex & Nigel being software developers, they could quit there day jobs ( or at least work less hours) and bring this to the public.

This could strengthen support for WHS v1 now that Microsoft has neutured Vail. This could be good timing to do so, and see some WHS love. :mss: :encore:

Thanks