It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:43 pm 

I see. Thanks for explaining. I was hoping for a way to do it all, use MSS to store/distribute files throughout the house (without keeping my mac running) and also sync music and movies to the ipad/iphone. I may experiment a bit to see what happens....after I do a backup! :TR4M:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:15 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I'm not sure I understand the post from Cliff...

I sync 2 different iPhones, an iPad and 3 different iPods to the same library that I also share with an ATV2 via home sharing without any difficulty. I also use the same library via home sharing with a MacBook Pro. The library lives on a Mac Pro and that's where iTunes runs from.

I back up all the media files to my EX495 but I have never been able to get the HMS to host iTunes in an error free (effort free) manner. I keep hoping, but we are not there yet.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:39 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

TurtleDriver wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the post from Cliff...

The question was "how do I have multiple instances of iTunes share a single library?" The answer is pretty much: you don't. iTunes wasn't built to handle that situation.

Your iPods, iPads, and AppleTVs are not running iTunes. They are just subscribing as clients to the library,

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:20 pm 

I followed the posts in this forum and was able to successfully get iTunes 10 running on my 485. What I did to avoid the issue Cliff described was to take a copy of my itunes library and copy it to its own share. I then pointed iTunes 10 (on the MSS) to that folder. I unchecked "manage my itunes" and "copy into library". I then opened iTUnes 10, added the folder, and I'm all set. Now I have my music/movies streaming throughout the house, while using a copy on my Mac for syncing iphone/ipad, etc. to.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:31 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

FWIW, iTunes 10.1 installed cleanly. It throws up the usual errors when it runs, but after you click through them it works as expected.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:22 pm 

I have successfully installed iTunes 10.x on my WHS box, connected to my library, and can navigate, manage, etc. iTunes via RDC, but when I go to use the Remote app on my iPad I get an error message that shows on my iPad "An unknown error occurred. Please check your library and try again.".

I've tried a reinstall of iTunes to see if that would be helpful, but to no avail. The remote app finds and opens the library and even controls the instance of iTunes on my server, but will not allow playback to an Airport Express or ATV.

Any suggestions?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:27 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

To control the 1st gen Apple TV, the Remote app is paired to the Apple TV via the Settings | General | Remotes screen. The Remote app controls the Apple TV, which in turn is connected to one or more libraries. I imagine the menu structure for the 2nd gen Apple TV is different but conceptually similar, but I don't have one.

An Airport Express is going to stream music to the device it's connected to for one or more libraries, so the library becomes the thing you control with the Remote app in this instance. You would use Remote to connect to a library and specify the speakers to which you want to stream music on the settings screen for that library within the Remote app.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:29 pm 

I'd better clarify - I've installed iTunes on the server and all the client computers on my network. I have my music on a shared drive on the WHS box and all instances of iTunes use it. This part works great.

I want to have the iTunes 10.x client installed on the server to be the "always on" iTunes instance for the purpose of serving up music and video to my various APExpress and ATV devices using the remote app on my iPad to control it.

I have associated the remote app with the WHS itunes client and in the app you can see all the content as well as the APE and ATV devices. However, when I select something to play, the error message "An unknown error occurred. Please check your library and try again." shows on the screen of the remote app and nothing plays. When I look at iTunes on the server thru my RDC session, the remote app has changed iTunes to the album and song but isn't playing.

What's odd is that if I 'point' the remote app to the instance of iTunes on my desktop - which is using the same content, library, etc. - it functions as expected. I can change music, movies, volume, speakers, etc... It just won't get past the error message when pointed at iTunes on the WHS. There must be a setting somewhere, I just can't seem to find it. Very frustrating given that it works on the desktop without issue.

I have the Twonky add-in pushing content to my PS3s without issue. I've disabled this to see if it helps. It doesn't.

The whole point of this effort is to make the always on machine available to serve up content. Frustrating ](*,) . Sorry for the long post -- any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:36 pm 

Update - so, after my last post it occurred to me that I should try to play content by just directly using iTunes on my server through the RDC :oops: .

Won't play content by using my mouse either... nothing to do with the remote app. Something is preventing itunes from playing on the WHS install. No error messages - just no action.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:32 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I don't know what specifically is going on with your server, but I would try a clean install into a clean environment. This is something I did recently on my server after unsuccessfully trying an experiment. You will need to download CCleaner, a freeware registry cleaner.

1. Uninstall iTunes
2. Install CCleaner on your server
3. Run CCleaner against the registry on your server until it is no longer able to find registry entries to fix
4. Restart your server
5. Reinstall iTunes 10 - it is not necessary to make any modifications to the install program

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:03 pm 

Thx Cliff - great advice.
I tried the clean install as described and am still running into the same issue. I am getting an "audio configuration" error message each time I fire-up iTunes on my WHS. This may be the issue that's causing me grief. I found this post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9350 although, I'm stuck after going through the described resolution.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:17 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

If the error is the one I am thinking of, I get it too. Can you post a screencap of the error dialog?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:35 pm 

Attachment:
File comment: Audio Error Dialog
audioerrordialog.jpg
audioerrordialog.jpg [ 13.95 KiB | Viewed 10081 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:40 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

That one is normal.

By the way, when you run iTunes on your server, are you doing so from an RDP session where you have connected via the /console switch? Reread the first post in this thread for a discussion of that - it's towards the end.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:56 pm 

wow. If that's a normal error, I'm feeling like I'm running out of options :(

I had read elsewhere that the audio configuration error was a hangup for others and the fix in post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9350 looked to help resolve it via virtual audio cable.

As for the the console switch, I haven't been logging in that way. I have been logging in as 'administrator' tho. When I tried using the switch (with either the name or IP) I get an error message:
Attachment:
ConsoleError.jpg
ConsoleError.jpg [ 23.6 KiB | Viewed 10061 times ]

Obviously, I'm missing something. Thx for all your patience.

Thanks