It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:24 pm 

I have been toying with a Windows Home Server for a bit now, and was in the process of setting up DHCP services so that the Home Server could potentially function as a Domain Controller at a remote site. First and foremost, however, I wanted to get DHCP running, so it could act as our router (rather than having yet another piece of hardware). Somewhere in the process, I severed the connection to the server without completing the setup of DHCP.

Here is what I had accomplished.

I setup a network bridge between the Local Area Connection Ethernet Port and a ClearSpot 4G+ USB Wireless Modem (Local Area Connection 2).

This setup was working fine, but the ClearSpot was acting as the DHCP server. This is where I decided, I wanted DHCP on the server in the event that the modem stopped functioning or lost power (since apparently the battery life only lasts for 4 hours, and it can't sustain a charge off of USB power alone).

I disabled Windows Firewall and began setting up RRAS. I never actually got to the DHCP setup before losing remote connection to the server.

Since that point, I've been unable to remote back into the WHS. I've tried:
- Plugging the MSS into the domain here at work to see if it get's assigned an address via DHCP (it does!)
- Connecting to the address via RDC displays an error about not being able to connect to the address.
- Plugging in an USB keyboard and trying to blindly disable the services and renable the firewall. I have no way of verifying that these steps are completing, other than the fact that I still CANNOT remote into the WHS.

I obviously can't run the server recovery disk from a remote client computer when I can't even remote into the server. I could try loading the recovery disc onto a USB flash drive/external HDD, but again, without being able to see the GUI, navigating through the process would be a nightmare.

So I'm coming to the realization that the only way this is going to get fixed is by somehow attaching a VGA display to the device. I've read through the BIY instructions for the VGA adapter, but it's a bit out of my comfort range (though I may try it if I have no other choice). The prebuilt options offered by VOV Technologies are nice, and would love to get one, but $80.00 is more than I can spend since it would have to come out of my pocket.

So my question is, are there any options that I haven't exercised? Will a VGA/USB converter work with the LX195?

Thanks!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:17 pm 

Hi Crush,

If you have an LX195 you should be able to perform a server recovery because the server when placed into its recovery mode will boot off a hidden area on the motherboard itself and will use the files from there to setup the LAN port so you can perform the recovery.

The cost of a USB-VGA adapter is not that much different then the cost of the debug cables sold by VOV Technologies and do not work as well either. For example the USB-VGA will only begin to display once the server is actually booted. The debug board will display immediately when the server is first turned on.

Additionaltely to get the USB-VGA adapter to work would require you to RPD to your server and install the adapter from the servers desktop. You may also have to disable the Display Adapter from the device manager thats already loaded on your server in order for the USB-VGA Adapter to become the primary display adapter or atleast this was what I had to do when I first opted to use a USB-VGA Adapter but it was not long before I found myself not over joyed with it and ordered the 1st of 2 VOV Technologies debug cables. They work extremely well and I have yet to regret purchasing them and you can get them in different configurations so if Video is all you want then you can order one with just the video.

As for the stuff you are attempting to do this I can not comment on.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:11 am 

Thanks for the answer! This sounds like an acceptable solution.

*EDIT*
I got this into recovery mode - now I need to find the server recovery discs.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:23 pm 

If you can not find the Server Recovery Disks then contact HP and I am certain the will send you a new set as they have done for others in the past.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks