It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:09 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have spent some time studying the different Mediaservers that can be installed in WHS. The seems to do mostly the same, but there are some differencies. There are Boxee, Twonkey, Mezzmo etc. I'v got a new LED-Samsung with LAN, and tried to stream content from the WHS using Tonkey. Some files are ok, but many are not.
It seems that the not all codecs are supported.

My question if there are any overview (table) where these programs are listed and compared, or if there are any articles testing the different program?

I did hope that the Popcorn or other devices would not longer be necessary when the TV had LAN capabillities.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:49 am 

metropol wrote:
I have spent some time studying the different Mediaservers that can be installed in WHS. The seems to do mostly the same, but there are some differencies. There are Boxee, Twonkey, Mezzmo etc. I'v got a new LED-Samsung with LAN, and tried to stream content from the WHS using Tonkey. Some files are ok, but many are not.
It seems that the not all codecs are supported.

My question if there are any overview (table) where these programs are listed and compared, or if there are any articles testing the different program?

I did hope that the Popcorn or other devices would not longer be necessary when the TV had LAN capabillities.

If you go into the Reviews section you will see various different reviews I have done for the Dune BD Prime, PCH A200, PCH C200, etc... I just received the SageTV HD300 yesterday, so I hope to start working on that review shortly.

Unfortunately Twonky does have limitations when it comes to codec support. Maybe best if you could write exactly what you are looking to do. For example, what types of files are you looking to play back, are you looking to bitstream HD audio,is netflix a must, online content, etc...

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:40 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thank you for the reply dbone.
I'll try to more specific.
1. I do not want to use a third party solution/gadget like popcorn, HTPC or similar. I have a TV with Lan capabillity that recognize DNLA services.
2. I have many hundred videos ripped from old VHS tapes, different projects using Pinacle, Premiere, experiented with different codes (mkv, mpeg4, avi, xvid, etc etc).
3. I'm looking for the mediashare program with best capabillities regarding speed and different codecs.
4. A comparison table of different supporting codecs for each program would be nice (if it does exist)

Hope this helps.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:21 pm 

metropol wrote:
Thank you for the reply dbone.
I'll try to more specific.
1. I do not want to use a third party solution/gadget like popcorn, HTPC or similar. I have a TV with Lan capabillity that recognize DNLA services.
2. I have many hundred videos ripped from old VHS tapes, different projects using Pinacle, Premiere, experiented with different codes (mkv, mpeg4, avi, xvid, etc etc).
3. I'm looking for the mediashare program with best capabillities regarding speed and different codecs.
4. A comparison table of different supporting codecs for each program would be nice (if it does exist)

Hope this helps.

One option you can try is software like PS3MesiaServer or TVersity. These programs are supposed to transcode your content so it can be played back on any device. Since it is transcoding though it is CPU intensive, but it may be worth trying out and see how it works with your WHS + Samsung

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:26 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I suspect it will be helpful for you to post the model number of your Samsung television. A little Google sleuthing seems to indicate that the Samsung DLNA implementation does not work equally well with all digital media servers. One thread I came across seemed to have multiple posters expressing positive experiences with Mezzmo.

(disclaimer: I don't have a Samsung DLNA television)

Edit - this was an interesting statement from the DLNA wiki page:

Quote:
As the president of DLNA pointed out to The Register in March 2009:[10]

"DLNA does not certify software at this time, only complete devices. The vendors of software are allowed to claim that their software is a DLNA Technology Component if the software has gone through certification testing on a device and the device has been granted DLNA Certification. DLNA Technology Components are not marketed to the consumer but only to industry."

DLNA has announced plans to begin a certification program for software, although it is unknown if any of the products below are now certified.[11]

Their software certification press release was dated January of this year. I am not finding any specific references to certified software products. It sounds like you're a bit out on the bleeding edge at the moment.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:53 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hmmm. I bit anoying reading the DNLA statement regareding hardware/software. No such info was given when I bought the TV. Seller said this was right-out-of-the-box. No problem.

I have a Samsung LED UE55C7705 with Samsung wi-fi dongle.

The PS3media server i assume work as all other mediaservers and does not require a PS3 machine?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:42 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

metropol wrote:
Seller said this was right-out-of-the-box. No problem.

When connecting DLNA certified hardware, I am sure it is: http://www.dlna.org/products

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:23 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Just wanted to put in a word for Mezzmo. Have just bought a sony blu ray player sdp 370 with DLNA and my whs was running tversity. The sony player didn't seem to find this at all (and after much googling i gave up with this). After further googling i came across Mezzmo (http://www.conceiva.com/products/mezzmo/default.asp).

There's a download available to try and within minutes it was setup. Installation on the WHS was a breeze. Point it to your relevant folders for music/photos/videos and you're just about done. The sony blu ray sees the media server no problem and was streaming avi/flv files in my case with out a problem. The gui interface on the WHs is very easy to navigate and looks good.

Anyone else tried this ? its definitely worth a shot i would say

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Utopian for this post
bserafino
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:10 am 
Founder
Founder

Mezzmo contacted me some months ago, initial testing performed by Comp1962 showed poor performance indexing media and I was occupied on other projects so we didn't investigate further. It's interesting to hear your feedback, I'll try to take another look.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:51 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

with mezzmo there are profiles you can setup.. the sony player within the software seemed to initially be set to NTSC/ no divx for some reason.... so none of by avis would play.. a quick chnage of profile to PAL/divx and away we go... buffer time initailly is about 4-5 seconds then it plays no problem.(that was tested on a 750Mb avi movie going thru Linksys powerline adapters)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:50 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Utopian wrote:
with mezzmo there are profiles you can setup.. the sony player within the software seemed to initially be set to NTSC/ no divx for some reason.... so none of by avis would play.. a quick chnage of profile to PAL/divx and away we go... buffer time initailly is about 4-5 seconds then it plays no problem.(that was tested on a 750Mb avi movie going thru Linksys powerline adapters)
Are you still using Mezzmo? I've installed the trial version on my EX490 but am having difficulty getting it to play anything. I have a Sony BDP-S570 and I can see Mezzmo but any time I try to select a Movie I get a "No playable file found" message. I've tried the Sony BDP (PAL), Sony BDP (PAL, No DivX) and the NTSC variants but no joy. I also expected Mezzmo to discover the Sony player but it didn't so I added it manually. BTW, I also get pretty the same results when trying to use Twonky Media. This is driving me crazy as I've found others that are having success with this player (results of Google search). ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Thanks