It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:38 pm 

Thanks Charles.

I order the VGA cable assembly, and it arrived within a few days. Once installed I was able to log into my Acer easyStore H340 home server using a monitor.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:15 am 

Hope someone can help me. Since Ive began using the KVM Board I have noticed that the machines will only boot with cable plugged into motherboard. Once I remove the debug board the machines no longer boot instead I get contant purple/blue mixed led. Could there be a bios settings causing this? Ive tried reseting bios to defaults with no luck. Now I have 2 HP mediasmart servers that wont boot without the gen3 board inserted. Need urgent help please. Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:59 am 
Founder
Founder

Did you muck with the BIOS settings? Do you have to interact with the system via the KVM in order to get it to boot successfully? Do you have the jumper in place on the motherboard? Try resetting the BIOS to Optimized instead of Defaults.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:56 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Since geeksuneek also posted his question here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9189
I suggest we move this conversation there to avoid cross-post duplication.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:36 pm 

Are these debug boards still being sold?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:06 pm 

See the first post for instructions on how to email cakalapati

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Last edited by yakuza on Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Change instructions to email instead of PM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:12 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

...or you can read the first post (linked here), which will give you a much more timely response. If the first forum posting says that my service is open, then I am still offering the debug boards. If you have emailed me and you have not gotten a response in 2 business days, PM me to your hearts content. :-)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:18 pm 

My email did get through, and a PayPal bill was issued right away. The problem is that I am not used to PayPal and I guess I was expecting it to send me an email that a bill had arrived. In any event, mine should be in the Friday shipment!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:49 pm 

Before I decide which version of cable I order, does anyone know if a USB mouse and Keyboard work ok with the HP495 for troubleshooting only? (I didn't understand the scoping format when trying to open up the ADV FW to allow my work network to use Remote Desktop and have hence locked myself out of the unit for remote desktop and have not figured out how to get back in since I'm a 'Nix guy not a windows guy) ](*,)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:40 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

@CCotD

Welcome to the forums! This is a very common question, which is why I've put it in the FAQ section on the first (errr...second) post.

Q: Do I need to get the PS2 option if I am using the debug board for basic troubleshooting? Can I simply get a VGA-Only board and plug a USB keyboard into the HP box?
A: The VGA-Only is prefect for doing basic troubleshooting. As far as I know, HP does not lock out the USB keyboard, regardless of the debug board configuration. You will need a jumper to access USB keyboard functionality on select HP MediaSmart Server models.

The EX-495 will require a jumper to unlock keyboard functionality. Installation instructions for the EX-487 (a brother of the EX-495) can be found here. Good luck.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:23 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I ordered the VGA/PS2 debug board this past weekend and recieved it today. "Fast service and shipping" I connected it to my Acer 340 since it's the easiest to get at the connection. It booted up with video but the PS2 keyboard/mouse don't work, the num lock is lit on the keyboard but it doesn't respond. A USB keyboard/mouse does work. I understand that there is a jumper that enables the bios. Does this also enable the PS2? Also, mine has a jumper on it as shown in the picture:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/04 ... easystore/

Am I supposed to move the jumper to the right or remove it completely. I don't plan on messing with the bios quite yet but would like to know how to get in it.

Having the video is great.

Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:48 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi Iggy,

Thank you for those kind words and for voicing your concerns. Your feedback is appreciated.

A jumper is required to be placed on top of two pins on the Acer motherboard. Your debug board should have come with a jumper. That jumper should fit directly over the two pins near the Intel processor. That is, the jumper should not be moved to the right or removed (see picture to see where the jumper should be placed). Also, a USB keyboard with a USB-to-PS2 converter will not work. You need to use a keyboard with a real PS2 connector (no converter). Also, double check that the three keyboard LEDs (NumLock, Caplock, ScrollLock) flash on bootup.

Attachments:
easystore_jumper.jpg
easystore_jumper.jpg [ 115.67 KiB | Viewed 43243 times ]
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank cakalapati for this post
Iggy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:15 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

cakalapati wrote:
Hi Iggy,

Thank you for those kind words and for voicing your concerns. Your feedback is appreciated.

A jumper is required to be placed on top of two pins on the Acer motherboard. Your debug board should have come with a jumper. That jumper should fit directly over the two pins near the Intel processor. That is, the jumper should not be moved to the right or removed (see picture to see where the jumper should be placed). Also, a USB keyboard with a USB-to-PS2 converter will not work. You need to use a keyboard with a real PS2 connector (no converter). Also, double check that the three keyboard LEDs (NumLock, Caplock, ScrollLock) flash on bootup.

Thanks Charles

I guess I should pull out the glasses. I had printed the instructions (low-res) and didn't even notice the jumper with the orange box around it. Dah....

I did recieve the jumper (thanks), connected it and it works like a charm. I knew I needed a PS2 keyboard/mouse and spent the other day searching around the house for a old mouse that wasn't USB.

This is a great piece of hardware. Good design and well built. As far as I'm concerned it's a "must have" for anyone that owns the HP or Acer WHS. If your system ever crashes and you can't access it from remote desktop you will be glad you have it. It's one of those "Just In Case" items that could save you a lot of time and trouble, not to mention your whole server storage if something ever happens. Plus the fact that it works on both the HP and Acer makes it even more valuable to those who own both as I do. For those who want to try a different OS on thier machine, this will help you do it.

Thanks again Charles for all the support.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:35 pm 

I Just got this not to loung ago works vary well keep up the good work.

Thanks,
Robbie

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:38 am 

Huh, not sure is it only me or.... but

As I could count (correct me if I'm wrong), the whole assembly could not cost you more than $15, 1 PCB, 1 VGA, 1 RS232, 2 PS2, < 50 cm cable, 2 DF11-26DS-2C, 52 DF11-2428SC, 2 bolts, 2 screws and piece of plastic with SONY VAIO look-a-like logo and you are selling (read ripping people off) this for $100 plus shipping. So let me do a little math here, if I order the assembly from you, that will cost me $100 plus shipping to EU additional $28, and I can make it myself for not more than $15, so basically I sould pay your work (15 mins) to put it all together, astonishing $113? Oh btw, these $28 for shipping, does the package includes a 110 lbs 20 year old blonde?

I guess people now understand why the recession was inevitable.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next