It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:32 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

i have installed vail on virtualbox yesterday. i already have a ex487 running on my network with remote access though all the default ports. so for vail i wanted to change them i went into server manager, internet information, (my vail server), sites, default web site. from there i went inot binding and changed the https and http from the defaults to lets say 864 http and 865 https. when i try to turn on my remote access i get this error.
and when i go the the https site Https://(myserver).homeserver.com:865 i get The connection has timed out

also i can access the internet from my server.

Sorry for the terrible format and bad punctuation i had this whole thing typed out all nice and i click to quit out of the tab. (dumb me) anyways sorry again hope some of your vail heros can save me.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:14 pm 

Trying to get two servers working off 1 internet connection is very tricky but I have done it in the past but never to my full satisfaction. Now for me the issue came in with port 443. I had to experiment with this abit forwarding 443 to one server and 444 to another for HTTPS. I then controlled everything from my primary servers landing page and I used the Whiist Add-In to create the links for the 2nd server. The issue I encountered was the landing pages LOGIN Button would always goto the 2nd server because for that one to work I had to let it have 443 and my primary server had to have 444 so I had to create a REMOTE LOGON link for my primary server. I never could get my primary to be 443 and my second server to be 444.

I use a Linksys WRT610N Router and its always been reliable for me so I got this great idea to change out the router to a DLink DIR655 and other fine router. Thing is with the DIR655 I could not get the same results as my Linksys so I gave the DIR655 a task offsite where its working well. It could be the fact that I am more accustome to Linksys Routers but I was able to get two servers to run remote access using one internet connection but not to my full satisfaction and yes I tried many other thing like External to Internal Port Forwarding but had only success in what I described above.

If you has only the Vail Server running on your internet connection I would tell you ignore the error message and see if the server could be seen outside your network.

On another note recently I was playing with LOGMEIN and I installed it on two of my offsite servers one is an EX470 the other is a DIY Build running Vail and through that software I am able to logon to both servers desktops much like and RDP session which helps me out until my company figures out what to do with their current ISP. Since the two servers can not configure that router at work at all because its locked out and not setup to be automatically configured the LOGMEIN software worked like a charm and I am liking it very much along with their Hamchi VPN Software which provides me a very nice path to each of those servers.

Good Luck with your task at hand. If you use the 444 and 443 port forwarding method you may have to alternate them betwwen the two servers to get them to work if your router is willing to co-operate.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:52 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Trying to get two servers working off 1 internet connection is very tricky but I have done it in the past but never to my full satisfaction. Now for me the issue came in with port 443. I had to experiment with this abit forwarding 443 to one server and 444 to another for HTTPS. I then controlled everything from my primary servers landing page and I used the Whiist Add-In to create the links for the 2nd server. The issue I encountered was the landing pages LOGIN Button would always goto the 2nd server because for that one to work I had to let it have 443 and my primary server had to have 444 so I had to create a REMOTE LOGON link for my primary server. I never could get my primary to be 443 and my second server to be 444.

I use a Linksys WRT610N Router and its always been reliable for me so I got this great idea to change out the router to a DLink DIR655 and other fine router. Thing is with the DIR655 I could not get the same results as my Linksys so I gave the DIR655 a task offsite where its working well. It could be the fact that I am more accustome to Linksys Routers but I was able to get two servers to run remote access using one internet connection but not to my full satisfaction and yes I tried many other thing like External to Internal Port Forwarding but had only success in what I described above.

If you has only the Vail Server running on your internet connection I would tell you ignore the error message and see if the server could be seen outside your network.

On another note recently I was playing with LOGMEIN and I installed it on two of my offsite servers one is an EX470 the other is a DIY Build running Vail and through that software I am able to logon to both servers desktops much like and RDP session which helps me out until my company figures out what to do with their current ISP. Since the two servers can not configure that router at work at all because its locked out and not setup to be automatically configured the LOGMEIN software worked like a charm and I am liking it very much along with their Hamchi VPN Software which provides me a very nice path to each of those servers.

Good Luck with your task at hand. If you use the 444 and 443 port forwarding method you may have to alternate them betwwen the two servers to get them to work if your router is willing to co-operate.

The error message is not something im worried about since i get one with my ex487 too. as for LOGMEIN I have heard of it but never messed around with it. I actually use teamviewer. (its free) and i actually run host off all my computers so i can connect to them at any time by computer or phone. if you have not heard of it check it out.

(will keep updating as i get progress but its a busy week im getting married again on Saturday. (1 year ann.))

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:03 pm 

Congrats in advance on getting married this Sat. Wish you much happiness. In this case the server is not all that important but keeping things wife friendly will.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:51 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Congrats in advance on getting married this Sat. Wish you much happiness. In this case the server is not all that important but keeping things wife friendly will.

The nice thing is i can work on the sever all day when im at work =) i love remote access.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:26 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

till you change something that locks you out. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:31 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

lol yeah good thing i normally work though my home computer to get to my server.

Thanks  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]