It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:57 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

OK, so suddenly (well, maybe not suddenly, since I haven't played with the WHS since last night), I can't connect to my EX490 through Finder. Everything else is fine. I can get to the Home Console screen, I can backup using Time Machine, but I can't ping or otherwise access the server. The IP address is static via DHCP, and I've even verified it through Home Console. However, whenever I try to connect through finder or by a ping, I get a "cannot connect" or "unknown host." I'm trying to connect to smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (which is how I was doing it before). The only change has been that I went from connecting via 802.11n to using gigabit.

Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: I can type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" using the server IP and packets are sent and received. however, using "smb://" results in "unknown host"

EDIT2: After an hour of troubleshooting, I finally just went ahead and restarted. It's working now. I'd still appreciate any ideas, but maybe I just ran into a glitch. Weird.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:06 pm 

Mine did same thing around same time. Got in briefly at one point but locked out again...something has changed - maybe a software update?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:00 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Dunno. The restart seems to have fixed it for several days now. I guess us Mac users will just have to get used to (again) the need to regularly restart products running Windows. WHS isn't too bad, but it's definitely been a headache compared to the usual "turn on and don't worry about it" of Apple products.

EDIT: Of course, the WHS is far, far cheaper than anything Apple has out to accomplish the same purpose, so I guess it's kind of a wash. ;)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:16 pm 
Founder
Founder

The Mac has a notoriously finicky Samba implementation, a web search on "Mac samba issues" turns up a lot of weird behavior with few solutions.

There is a scenario where too many failed authentications in a short period of time can cause a user account to be locked out, but I'd expect that to give a different error message.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:55 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

i have noticed that there is a problem when losing connection and re-gaining it with the media server. I constantly have to reboot my mac to re-connect to the server. I believe this is purely a osx problem and not a WHS problem

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:16 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

p010sp0rt8 wrote:
i have noticed that there is a problem when losing connection and re-gaining it with the media server. I constantly have to reboot my mac to re-connect to the server. I believe this is purely a osx problem and not a WHS problem

The worst I've had to do is log out and back in as I have my shares listed as login items. Usually just unmounting them and then hunting the, down again on the server works.

One thing I've noticed is that if you need to restart your server and you have an OS X Lion client talking to it (if you can get Lion to talk to your WHS at all) unmount your SMB shares before rebooting the server or Lion will go nuts and will redline your CPUs. Lion's SMB service is completely broken.

Thanks