It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:54 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I installed the new Vail Public Beta Refresh on my MSS yesterday. The install dvd is now bigger than 4GB so I had to purchase an 8GB USB thumb drive. I decided to keep my original version of Vail intact because it works really well as a streaming server, so I purchased a new 160GB drive to use as the OS drive for the installation. Installation on the MSS following the previous guide worked great. After installation the problems started.

First: I can no longer access the shared folders from my Win 7 64 Ultimate PC. I'm getting the "Windows cannot access \\Vailserver\Videos" You do not have permission to access \\Vailserver\Videos. Contact your network administrator to request access." I added my user account for the PC as a user in Vail and set the permissions for all folders to all access. I even tried turning on advanced sharing on each of the shared folders without success. The Vailserver and all of its shares show up under Network in Windows Explorer, but I cannot access them.

Second: I installed the Vail Connector on my laptop and can access the shared folders on the Vailserver from it via the Shared Folders icon. However, in the Dashboard on the laptop, it shows the laptop as offline and it won't configure the backups. I tried to install the connector again and get the error that the connector is already installed (I know, I have to uninstall it, but wanted to try just to see if it was actually connected). Also, there is no Dashboard icon on the laptop desktop, but there is a Shared Folders on the Server icon. And I still can't access the shares from my PC.

Third: I un-installed and re-installed the connector on the laptop this morning but the laptop is still showing as offline and I cannot configure backups. Also, even though the shared folders are available via the shared folders icon, I cannot copy files to the Vailserver (files on the network or directly on the laptop). I'm getting this error message "Cannot copy ___: access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

It appears this version of Vail is borked pretty bad!

Last edited by cavediver on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:56 pm 

Wow thats abit disturbing. While I did download the new version I decided to hold off on trying it for the time being. Maybe its better to just wait. New releases should so improvements and while bugs are to be antisipated it appears from reading your comments that its like 1 step forward and 3 steps back and with that in mind I would be very hard pressed to waste time attempting to look at it which is a sad state of affairs.

I really do want Microsoft to be sucessful in this developement but I have no clue what they were thinking on releasing this version which seems to be even more premature then the previous.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:57 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I'm going to wipe everything, re-install and start over. Maybe it'll be better the second time around. :roll:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:24 pm 

Not sure if your experience will be different but if it is I know I would be very interested in seeing what you come up with. My Vail test server is currently off site awaiting permission to have the ISP come in and open up the router for me. Now I am able to connect to is as of yesterday using LogMeIn and Hamanchi thanks to Damians recent write up on Hamanchi and for now I have has success installing it onto Vail providing me access to the server and the servers shares but as of yet I have not taken the VPN a step further to enable backup of any of my clients here.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:43 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I'm treading carefully. I have no problems with the first beta but this one seems like it has more problems than the first beta and we don't know what has improved if anything. No word on if the 10 drive limit is gone even.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:18 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I'm re-downloading the install files also, so I'll be starting completely fresh.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:42 pm 

I connected fine here with the new refresh. Make sure you uninstall your connector software then go to
http://yourservername/connect on your PC and re-download the new connector software and it should find the server and connect.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:48 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Soundtweaker wrote:
I connected fine here with the new refresh. Make sure you uninstall your connector software then go to
http://yourservername/connect on your PC and re-download the new connector software and it should find the server and connect.

I didn't have any problem installing the connector. I just can't copy any files to the Vailserver.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:15 pm 

cavediver wrote:
Soundtweaker wrote:

I didn't have any problem installing the connector. I just can't copy any files to the Vailserver.

Strange. Im copying files as we speak. Is the shared folders shortcut going to your server name?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:05 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I downloaded the new version and over wrote it on the original vail software using the same primary drive. The DVD fit perfectly on a standard 4.7 dvd without issues. ( You might check your download when you said that it took an 8.5 DL DVD) I installed the new versison and set it up and it has worked perfectly. I added 25 movies to work with and I have had no problem.

My biggest complaint was that it took about 11 hours to download the files to make disks as their web site was getting hammered. After about 7 PM it downloaded faster after the Europeans went to bed.

Vail is much faster than the original WHS 3.0 software with backups taking 1/2 the time at much less. If only a few changes to the client have been made the backup takes 2 minutes on some of my computers that still takes 30 to 60 minutes on the old windows server software. The file comparison is much faster.

So far for me both versions of Vail have been more stable and reliable than my HP servers. I own 2 HP servers and have a DIY Vail server.

I miss some of the User interfaces and add-ins for the vail server but add-ins have been slow to come as it appears that most programmers will not invest the time into developing software for a program that is not finalized yet.

If HP would come out with a new Vail update that included the EX 470 and EX 495 with some of their add-in OEM additions I would pay a reasonable price for it based on what I have seen.

Last edited by Eidos on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:00 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I completely started over. I removed all of the HDDs from the MSS, wiped the OS drive, and re-installed it in the MSS (I left the other 3 drives out). I re-downloaded the Vail refresh iso and re-made the USB installation drive. It took me three installation attempts to get Vail installed this time. I don't know why the first two attempts failed, but on the third attempt Vail installed on my MSS. I re-inserted the 3 other drives one at a time, which had been added as storage pool drives in my first problematic installation a couple of days ago. I had created a few sub folders in the shares via RDP. I figured that when I re-inserted the drives in the new Vail installation, Vail would ask me to add them to the storage pool. However, to my surprise, when I inserted the first drive, Vail instantly and automatically added it to the storage pool as Storage Pool 1 - Drive1 and locked the storage pool. There was a link to a help issue: "Why is the storage pool locked?" I looked it up and it indicated the storage pool was locked because there were missing drives. So, I re-inserted the other 2 drives and the original storage pool was immediately re-created. I was never able to copy any files to it, so there was nothing there except for the 3 sub folders I had created in the video share via RDP. There was also an option to re-create the default storage pool. I chose that option and all 3 drives were re-formatted and the default storage pool was re-created. Very interesting because, the option to add an existing storage pool from a previous installation worked like a charm.

The Vailserver showed up in the Network under Windows explorer in my Win 7 PC. This time when I tried to access the server, I was prompted for a username and password. I never got that prompt on the first installation. After inserting the username and password, I was able to access the shares and copy files from my Win 7 PC to the Vailserver and from Andromeda via the Win 7 PC to the Vailserver. So that issue is resolved.

I downloaded and installed myiHome http streamer. I had to disable IE8's enhanced internet security first. I had copied one episode from Dexter Season 4 Blu-ray to the Vailserver Video share for testing and went to the PCH to view, but it couldn't see the Vailserver myiHome server, so I went back to the Vailserver and turned off the Private network firewall which solved that issue. The video streamed flawlessly to the PCH via myiHome.

I then tried to watch the same file via the SMB share but the PCH couldn't see the Vailserver via the SMB share. I then went to the Dashboard and noticed that the guest user account was disabled by default. I enabled the guest user account and gave it read access to all of the shares. That solved the SMB streaming issue.

I installed the connector on my laptop which appeared to go smooth, but something is still not right here. I understand that there is supposed to be 3 icons placed on the desktop, but I'm only getting one: Shared Folders. I'm not getting a Dashboard or Launcher icon on the laptop's desktop. Also, the laptop is showing as offline in the Dashboard and I can't get backups configured.

Things with the new Vailserver are much better now, but not all is completely well. I think the connector is conflicting with the Sprint software for my 4G broadband card. With the previous version of Vail, every time I used the Sprint broadband card my backups stopped working and the laptop would show as offline. I had to uninstall and reinstall the Vail connector on the laptop to get the backups to work again. I haven't used the broadband card in awhile, but I'm seeing similar behavior. But now I'm seeing it without even using the Sprint software.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:27 pm 

cavediver,

The new installation now appears to be more positive then the first. Would you say it was worth doing? I am still up in the air on this and value your opinon. I currently have the new version but have yet to create the discs so if you say its worth doing then I will proceed.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:16 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Comp1962 wrote:
cavediver,

The new installation now appears to be more positive then the first. Would you say it was worth doing? I am still up in the air on this and value your opinon. I currently have the new version but have yet to create the discs so if you say its worth doing then I will proceed.

I just got it working fairly well late this afternoon. I was quite surprised by the old storage pool adding to the new installation so easily. Streaming to my PCH is great, as was the first Vail version. I've not had the time to test out much else yet. I'm also disappointed by the inability to get backups working on my laptop, but I'll be working on that more in the future. Is it worth doing? Sure. However, Vail is nowhere a finished product yet. I wouldn't install it for anything other than testing and evaluating, and I wouldn't trust anything critical to it yet.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:45 pm 

I know I would not consider running it to be a front line server nor is the current unit running the first release of Vail. I will bring it home and install the new version and see what happens.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:55 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

cavediver wrote:
I installed the connector on my laptop which appeared to go smooth, but something is still not right here. I understand that there is supposed to be 3 icons placed on the desktop, but I'm only getting one: Shared Folders. I'm not getting a Dashboard or Launcher icon on the laptop's desktop.

I just start playing with "Aurora" and after connecting one computer to it, I just got "Shared Folders" icon on desktop (no Dashboard or Launchpad).

Thanks  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next