It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:23 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Dear MediaSmart users:

I was wondering since it didn't specify in the help documentation what size of a USB flash drive I would need to copy the necessary files from the Mac to the flash drive. What are the exact steps (or where can I find them in the help documentation?) I am asking now in the event that a system crash occurs on my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 . I have an HP MediaSmart server EX 495 .

Sincerely,
markerline

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:36 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Are you referring to a complete restore? Like a Time Machine restore or are you simply talking about restoring Snow Leopard? If you are talking about a full blown Time Machine restore then the USB drive will need to be at least as big as your Macs hard drive. If you are looking for an OS restore and start up then check out this link-

http://www.maciverse.com/install-boot-o ... drive.html

This explains how to put OSX on a flash drive and boot from it in case of system crash. You will need at least an 8GB flash drive for this.

Take care.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:07 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

There is a way to get a WHS Time Machine backup to appear as a network drive when running a restore from the Apple install CD's. My guess is that this is what the OP's question is about. What you linked was how to install a working copy of OS X on a flash drive (which can actually be done from an iPod, believe it or not). Two different things, of course, though perhaps related. (I don't know the answer to the OP's question because I decided WHS isn't reliable enough at this point in the game to store TM backups on).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:19 pm 
Founder
Founder

TX Ciclista wrote:
(I don't know the answer to the OP's question because I decided WHS isn't reliable enough at this point in the game to store TM backups on).

Do you trust a non-RAID USB hard drive to store your Time Machine backups?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:54 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

markerline wrote:
Dear MediaSmart users:

I was wondering since it didn't specify in the help documentation what size of a USB flash drive I would need to copy the necessary files from the Mac to the flash drive. What are the exact steps (or where can I find them in the help documentation?) I am asking now in the event that a system crash occurs on my MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.4 . I have an HP MediaSmart server EX 495 .

Sincerely,
markerline

When in doubt, try it... About 5MB for the USB drive, looks like. And page 209 in the manual or this support page: link to HP site.

And no, I didn't attempt a recovery on my machine. I separately keep a bootable clone on an external FW800 drive. If my boot drive fails then I'll boot into the external drive and figure out what I need to do next

Attachments:
Screen shot 2010-09-05 at 6.46.17 AM.png
Screen shot 2010-09-05 at 6.46.17 AM.png [ 544.02 KiB | Viewed 6472 times ]

Thanks