It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:43 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

All,
i have just bought a used HP Mediasmart Server and i can't get it up and running. There is installed a 500GB (system) drive. My problem(s) are that it won't boot, i get a red light on the hdd system drive. I have blue lights on the Power on, Network. I have a purple light on the health indicator. I have read in a couple of forums that the Hdd red light shows that the hdd has failed on booting and needs to be replaced. I have a brand new 1TB hdd i want to install as the Primary System drive.
Again i have read that i need to enter the restore/factory mode, but it is impossible to enter the mode. I don't get the blue/red light blinking upon booting, i only get the purple light. I have tried to press the reset button quickly once with no luck. I have tried to press and hold the reset button and sometimes i get a blue,blue and red light, blinking in the mentioned order.

I have tried to follow the instructions in the manual on how to enter restore/factory mode, but the computer i try to access the server from can't find the server.

Is there a solution to get the Windows home server system installed on a hdd without going through the restore mode.
If possible i would like to get some assistance in solving this issue or should i just declare the server dead.

Thnx,
Michael

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:25 am 

HI michlyzt welcome to the forums and to the family of WHS users.

You did not mention which server model you purchased so I am going to assume its an EX47x or EX48x Server for my instructions below. If by chance you happen to have an EX49x then you will want to connect a network cable between your computer and the server then reboot your computer. Ignore the part about the looking for your server on the router just reboot your server and follow the instructions on the 3rd paragraph.

Heres what you do.....Install the new drive into your server and turn it on your server will boot into its recovery mode. Just to be sure its in recovery mode check your routers DHCP Listing and there you should see the name MININT followed by other things which is your servers name when in recovery mode. Also since you can see that write down the MAC Address since this is one identifier of your server that does not change and will help you in future to identify your server.

OK now run the Server Recovery software on a 32 bit computer and follow all the instructions with exception to pressing that Status/Recovery Button. Because this will be a new install you will want to select FACTORY RECOVERY. If all goes well your server will be ready to use in about 1-2 hours. Please be sure to download all the HP and Microsoft updates for your server to bring it upto date.

I do not know the actual meaning of the Purple Health Light accept to say that my personal experience with it was that my server was stuck in a recovery mode.

Since this will be a new experience for you I do welcome you to ask questions and lots of them. If you want to do something with your server and your not sure then please ask away. This site is packed full of more usefull information then anyone could ask for and the Forum Members are very knowledgable and often eagar to help.

Good Luck and Lets get that server up and running!!!!!!! :sanjuan:

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:03 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi and thanks for the Warm welcome. I Will try your guide in a couple of days A's i am away on vacation. The purple health indicator is actually if i look carefully, red and blue at the same time. I have all red lights in the hdd leds this could also mean a hardware failure i have read in another post. Anyways i Will cross my fingers and pray that my server get up and running.

Thnx again
Michael

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:36 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi,
you mention if i have a EX49XX model..... I have a EX47xx model. Will i be able to follow your guide, with that model?

thnx,
michael

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:45 pm 

I looked at what I wrote and I was trying to cover as many things as possible because at the time it was not clear as to what model server your using. You will be happy to know the EX47x series is a very easy server to recover provided the LAN Port is working properly and even then if the LAN port is not working well I can help you work around that.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:18 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to follow your guide, but my server wont show up on my router's dhcp list. All other devices, pc's, laptops shows fine on the router list. I have tried to install the new drive according to your guide with no luck :(

I have also tried to connect a LAN cable directly into my router, but this doesn't work either. I am thinking there must be a hardware failure somewhere in the server. I have also installed a GEN3 cable and hooked up a monitor, but i only get a Black screen.

Any suggestions?

Rgds,
Michael

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:52 pm 

Since you have the debug cable and you mention all you see is a black screen do you happen to see anything in the beginning like the BIOS Post? Also does your monitor report a connection at all. Some monitors if they do not see a connection will report they have no video connection.

I will review this entire thread and see if I have additional questions for you.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:11 pm 

If you remove the power connector from the server and then plug it back in and turn it on all the Hard Drive Lights will turn on RED then turn off. If they stay on RED then you definately have a hardware failure and you will not see any video.

I know this because I purchased a used EX470 to obtain the case and PSU for a port multiplier conversion and when I tested it out I saw the same thing mentioned above. I was not able to work around it and unfortunately I do not have a solution to the problem. Since I am not certain of the history of the unit I have no clue as to what may have caused the issue to occur. My purchase was just for the enclosure so it was not a loss.

What I can tell is what its not. Its not RAM or CPU related. I know this because I installed both and the issue was not resolved. I then installed the same RAM and CPU into another Motherboard to confirm what I already knew which was the RAM and CPU were in good working order. Also its not the PSU because I tested the PSU in another server to confirm its condition and that server is running that same PSU today without issue.

So the problem exists elsewhere on the motherboard. I am not certain if its BIOS related meaing the previous own attempted to modify the BIOS and made an error and bricked the unit or if the mother board failed for some other reason still yet to be determined.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:00 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi,
i get a black screen with a message on my monitor saying "no video signal". I don't even see the bios. My HDD lights are showing RED lights with both the original HDD and the a new harddrive installed. Unfortunately i think there is some kind of motherboard failure :(

Is there anywhere on the motherboard where you can "reset" the bios.

Rgds,
michael

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:07 pm 
Founder
Founder

If the hard drive lights turn red immediately upon boot and stay that way, that indicates a hardware fault.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

ok, then i will declare my server dead :( thanks for the replies and guides

rgds,
michael

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:55 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi,
i woke up my server from the dead. I disassembled it and took every component apart and re inserted them. Then i mounted the Gen3 cable and i got it to boot. Now i have hooked up a monitor and a keyboard/mouse. Now my only problem is:

1. As i bought it used i don't have the administrator password. Does Home Server comes with a standard password i could try out?
2. I have the originally 500gb inserted and have entered the restore mode.
3. My problem is that it goes well until i get a commandoprompt screen, saying "listener created". It seems to be stock in that screen. Any suggestion on how to get me further?
4. I have tried to install a brand new 1TB hdd, and let the server enter restore mode. It also get stuck with the screen "listener created".

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thnx,
Michael

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:06 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

i got my server almost up and running..... I have restored the homeserver.... Now my only problem is a "unknown error" while trying to complete the restore process. The indicator on my connected 32bit laptop which contains the cd for restore is stopping when it reached the configuration of the backup.

How can that be... does anyone has a suggestion to get me further?

thnx,
michael

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:49 pm 
Founder
Founder

Did you do a Factory Reset to erase all the drives? If not, I'd try to do that to make sure the system is clean. You might also try the initial setup from another PC if possible

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:52 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Everything is working now :) I did a factory reset and installation went smooth. Now i am eager to get my server tweaked....

Thnx for the support.

Michael

Thanks