It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:50 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

This is an issue that I have not seen mentioned anywhere else. After installing the mac client, I can authenticate to the server and I get the green "Authenticated" notification. However, I am not able to click on the backup tab. I have seen users have the "cannot authenticate" issue, but nothing like this. I authenticate, but cannot do anything else.

Details:
- EX490
- Setup and working fine on my Vista 64 Machine
- Mac OSX 10.5.8
- I do see the server in finder.
- I can mount the CIFS shares.
- I even mounted the Mac share with the administrator account and still nothing.

When I get home I will take a look at the firewall settings, and also may try a system restore.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.....

Last edited by symbology on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:56 pm 
Founder
Founder

Welcome to the forums, can you share a screenshot of the problem? I'm presuming that there may be a compatibility issue with the Remote Desktop application...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:21 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks....

I am not home, so I cannot provide an actual screenshot, but this is where my installation ends. I Borrowed this screenshot from another thread.

Once I get here, there is no further response from the open window. The backup and I think upgrade tab are shown, but nothing happens when I click on them. I can hit the apply button all I want, and it refreshes and still says "Authenticated" I just cannot get beyond this point. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing a few times and still nothing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:27 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I got home and tried another macbook and it is the same exact issue. I get to the preferences page, where you configure the login for the MSS and I can authenticate, but that is it. The other tabs do not respond at all.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:58 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

So, I refreshed the MediaServer (Factory Reset) and it still does not work. The same exact issue. I even installed the new version of the agent in hopes that the first one was corrupt. No go....... These things really are a PITA.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:03 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Get ready for something idiotic. You need to set this feature via the PC first...

Blu-ray: 297

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:23 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

illegalprelude wrote:
Get ready for something idiotic. You need to set this feature via the PC first...

Thanks for the help.

You mean set up the stupid MediaServer, or did you mean something else? Yeah, I did that and It is up an running. I did it from my Vista machine. With the exception of the refresh process, the Vista machine has been fine with MSS. It is just these darn Macs. I just ordered an iMac, and if this MSS is going to be this much of a P:ITA with Macs, well it is out of here.

Last edited by symbology on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:25 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

This is what has been showing up in my console log. There is nothing that I can see in the event log on the MSS.

8/3/10 10:19:36 PM [0x0-0x12012].com.hp.mss.StatusCenter[257] SystemFlippers: didn't consume all data for long ID 0 (pBase = 0x1002ce8e0, p = 0x1002ce8e4, pEnd = 0x1002ce8e8)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:40 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

symbology wrote:
illegalprelude wrote:

Thanks for the help.

You mean set up the stupid MediaServer, or did you mean something else? Yeah, I did that and It is up an running. I did it from my Vista machine. With the exception of the refresh process, the Vista machine has been fine with MSS. It is just these darn Macs. I just ordered an iMac, and if this MSS is going to be this much of a P:ITA with Macs, well it is out of here.

Initial setup is correct bit In order to get time machine to talk with your mss, there is another setup you need to do via your pc. I'm not on my Mac and I have yet to setup that feature via my pc but I'll look into it more tomorrow and let you know.

Blu-ray: 297

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:56 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Oh, ok. I will try to search for these additional steps.

Thanks.....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:46 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

None of this seemed to work....

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1277379&tstart=0

Other...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-HP-Consumer-Products-and/Mac-HP-MSS-Control-Center-DOESNT-CONNECT-TO-WHS-server/m-p/67041/highlight/true#M282

I will have to try out the below next. I don't have time to mess with it today.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4301&p=37063

Quote:
I am running Leopard 10.5.6 to be exact. You do not need to wipe the server to use the Mac features. I know I was able to get it, at least working without the fresh install. I only did it to free up the most space for my Time Machine and to get the best results for Time Machine because I was having the same issue many have posted about the free up space for the back up. Just curious, if you go through the authentication process and get the green light and then close the HP control center. Go back into applications and re-open it does it work that way? I mean if you go back in does the show all button work? Also when you uninstalled it did you remove the plist file from preferences befre re-installing it? This can help because if the original install got corrupted it is likely to keep being corrupted unless you get rid of this file. It is located in Users/(User name)/Library/Preferences and the file is called "com.hp.mss.ControlCenter.plist".Does any of this help you out?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:59 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I called HP support and they narrowed it down to an issue with a missing or corrupt system library. I had to do a Disk Permission verify/repair and now it works. One of the Macs anyway. I have to try it out on macbook #2.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:40 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

symbology wrote:
I called HP support and they narrowed it down to an issue with a missing or corrupt system library. I had to do a Disk Permission verify/repair and now it works. One of the Macs anyway. I have to try it out on macbook #2.

Well, the permissions repair worked on my Wife's macbook too. So, both of my macs are connecting. Now, I just need to run the data collection and get Time Machine setup.

So, so far it looks like I am good to go.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:53 am 
Founder
Founder

Wow, good sleuthing on the part of HP support, and thanks for sharing your resolution, hopefully it helps someone else down the road. :mss:

Thanks