It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:01 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Wegotserved has an article up that MSE is now compatible with WHS.

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/07/20/w ... s-working/

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank T-Bone for this post
Gardian

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:02 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Has anyone got this to work, when I try to run the exe file (through RDC) on my EX495 it says the file is valid but that it was meant for a different kind of computer (or words to that effect). I did download the 64bit version as per the instructions on wegotserved. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:36 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I interprated it to be that Connect was the only location to get the new file from as it was still in beta.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:46 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Thats right, and the 64-Bit version is good for vail but WHS V1 is only 32 bit.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:03 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I had downloaded the file from Connect but should have put brain in to gear before hitting download! Now I have the 32bit beta installed, updated and it is running a scan so we'll see how it behaves. Thanks for the immediate assitance and will try to remember to engage brain next time :oops:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:34 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Will MSE close when you log off from the RDC? Does a service has to be created for it to stay open and protect the server?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:21 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I got it, installed just like normal.
I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes on all my PC's since WebRoot SpySweeper got so Bloated.
Anyway, It has been scanning for 7 hours so far, not done yet.

I don't know how relistic scanning this much data weekly will be, I still think it's better to scan files on the local PC's before sending them to the server.
But I do think it's nice of Microsoft to do something good for free. :-k

Thanks much for the info. :mss:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:25 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

This needs to go into a plug-in so that we get notified when it finds something... otherwise you'd have to check it's own console every so often.

It's an opportunity for somebody to get creative here...!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:49 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

ewww! ewww! I am feeling squeamish.

This newbie needs a dialog box that says "Click NEXT> to begin installing this software perfectly on your server, you pathetic pile of ineptitude."

Is installing Security Essentials on my new EX490 going to be like brain surgery? Should I stay clear for a month or two until a user-friendly interface is developed?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:09 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Just installed on my server. MSSE is OK for the price, but I've seen where it gets disabled pretty easily by crapware. I've been using MSSE on my XP and Vista systems since it was in Beta. I have to admit, I still like the Windows Live One Care solution BETTER, and still can't figure out why MS dumped it (a paid product) for a free one, MSSE.

My One Care substription runs out pretty soon my last desktop I had it installed on, so I'll have to do something with it soon.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:13 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Brian A wrote:
ewww! ewww! I am feeling squeamish.

This newbie needs a dialog box that says "Click NEXT> to begin installing this software perfectly on your server, you pathetic pile of ineptitude."

Is installing Security Essentials on my new EX490 going to be like brain surgery? Should I stay clear for a month or two until a user-friendly interface is developed?

Just download the 32-bit beta, and copy it to your shares somewhere. Remote desktop into your WHS, and copy the install file to your WHS desktop. Double click to install. Easy! 8)

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Mach1 for this post
Brian A
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:46 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I agree One care was a good product when it worked. when there was an issue it was a nightmare. There were feature that I loved about it. could shedule scans, remove start up items, and the firewall was really straight forward. Made setting it up on my parents machine very nice because I could do routine maintenace with out them caring.

As for MSE, I havent had any issue at all. I read that it was one of the better virus scanners out there. Easy and secure that is what people like. As for why they changed direction who knows. Microsoft has a history of giving up on making money just before a product really takes off. I assume that with the collassal flop that vista was to their rep. Microsoft decided to give this out gain some good public image.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:08 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Mach1 wrote:
...Just download the 32-bit beta, and copy it to your shares somewhere. Remote desktop into your WHS, and copy the install file to your WHS desktop. Double click to install. ....Easy!
I upgraded my EX490 System Drive to a 2TB Black Caviar this evening and successfully completed the "Factory Reset". (I thereby promote myself from noob to beginner.) However, I still have no idea what you are talking about. Is there a link describing "WHS desktop", "Remote desktop" etc, etc, etc?? McAfee bloatware wants to install! Don't know how to remove. I can't believe you guys have figured this all out.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:13 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Brian A wrote:
Mach1 wrote:
...Just download the 32-bit beta, and copy it to your shares somewhere. Remote desktop into your WHS, and copy the install file to your WHS desktop. Double click to install. ....Easy!
I upgraded my EX490 System Drive to a 2TB Black Caviar this evening and successfully completed the "Factory Reset". (I thereby promote myself from noob to beginner.) However, I still have no idea what you are talking about. Is there a link describing "WHS desktop", "Remote desktop" etc, etc, etc?? McAfee bloatware wants to install! Don't know how to remove. I can't believe you guys have figured this all out.

If your using Windows 7, click on Start and type Remote Desktop Connection, a list should popup, click on the Remote Desktop Connection link, a windows will open, type in the name of your server and continue.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Diehard for this post
Brian A
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:20 am 
Founder
Founder

Brian A, we have several tutorials on the Wiki that describe exactly what you are asking, you can start here.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... the_server

Thanks