It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:52 am 

Am Paul Hale. I think I am asking of the right thing. Basically, I have all of my movies backed up on my hard drives, so I have several external hard drives but am running out of space on my desk. I want some sort of enclosure that will hold several internal hard drives to save space. What I do is stream my media from my computer to my PS3. If anyone can kind of guide me on where to start, I would greatly appreciate it! =;

By
Paul Hale

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:38 am 

Hi paulhale welcome to the forums!

There are many devices that can do what your asking. Since this site is dedicated to the HP MediaSmart Server and Windows Home Server your going to get a wide range of recommendation including one of the HP MediaSmart Servers be it new or used. Some may also recommend you build your own server.

You could extend your storage capablilities using an eSATA or USB Port Multiplier Enclosure connected to the computer hosting your files now if your happy with that. There are 4, 5, 8, 9, and 10 Bay enclosures available on the market today that can be run in a JBOD mode or Just a Bunch of Drives.

I have nothing to gain or lose from which ever method you chose but I do like for people to chose what best fits their comfort level with may or may not be my prefrence but my prefrence doesn't matter its yours that does.

So do you want a unit to host all your files or do you want to continue the way your doing it now. If you want a unit to host your files can you kindly tell me how many drives are you using now and how many enclosures and how are they currently connected to your computer? Also the drives themself what type of connectivity do they have are they IDE, EIDE, PATA, SATA, SCSI, SAS? Also what is the combined capacity of all your storage drives. Not sure if you have many smaller capacity drives that when combined everything will fit on a single large capacity drive.

Basically I just want to better understand what your wants, needs and requirements are so that I can better help you figure out whats best for you. Notice I said whats best for you and not me. Also the bigger picture is what kind of budget are you looking to work within because often that is the limiting factor but maybe its just a starting point where you can get started and then expand out over time. These types of thing grow as time passes.

Once again welcome to the forums and I look forward to hearing back from you! :mss:

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:15 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Also, the PS3 works as a great front-end for my MediaSmart movies. The only issue I've seen so far is that the PS3 cannot handle lossless WMA or WMV files. Other formats it can play OK.

Thanks