It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Andromeda
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:29 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ok well thats good to know that it seems to be a problem but a problem that can be solved. So what would you suggest ? I take the 1 sata cable that goes to my OS drive and move it to another Sata port on my MB then take the other 4 MB ports and use it to run the 3rd row on the Norco ? I read you description on how to see what channel was the OS by doing a disk management and add in path but i did not know how and where to do that. Sorry i must seem really behind everyone else on the forum. Just still kinda new to it all but willing to learn so i can solve these type of problems myself in the future.

I was not aware of it being slower. I use this system just for blu rays but i do have a ATI 5750 that i must have a open slot for as well. I do want to upgrade my MB and Power supply very soon, but would love to be able to at least fire up the 3rd row of drives with the MB ports if all possible. It sounds like you have been in this same situation before and going through what i am now.

Cavediver suggested a Supermicro MB for a upgrade. I was looking at a Gigabyte that i posted above. Just want to get the most out of the Norco i have now. I wish i had another slot for another SM card, but i do not as it is blocked by the 5750.

How will the slower access effect me with Blu Ray Rips ? I have not noticed a problem on playback.

Thanks again for your help !

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:48 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Do you have the diskmanagement add-in installed. If you do, the first digit of the path is the channel the drive is on. If you do not have it installed then install it and look at the available paths. Should be fairly easy to identify the MV8 since you have 8 drives populated there should be 8 paths with the same channel. You only have the system drive on the motherboard and that path should be 0 if it is 1 you have the wrong port in use on the motherboard.

I agree with Cavediver, you should look at a Supermicro board with pci-x slots, ebay is a good place to find a tested used motherboard if you're looking to conserve cash because they are normally quite pricey.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:31 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

No i do not believe i do. I do not use Windows Server on my unit. Really never knew if it was a good thing to use. I know how to use Vista, that is why when i built the system i just used Vista for a OS. So i do not know if i can use what you suggested, and see what path it is on. That sounds simple to do the way you put it. If i am not mistaken, your saying basically once i can get my OS drive on the right path which would be 0 not 1, the system should be able to fire up with the SM card and also using the remaining 4 ports on my MB to run the 3rd row of drives ?

Is there much to be gained by using Windows Server ? I was going to use Windows 7 for when i rebuild. If i were to use Windows Server, would or could i still use Windows 7. Just not sure if Windows Server is more of a add in. I must admit the interface that i have seen on the forums with Win Server is nice. Seems very nice to keep track of what is going on with your drives. I just was not sure since i do not use raid, i just use JBOD that i would gain anything from Windows Server

I was looking on Ebay as you had said and saw a Supermicro board on there that seemed to have a good amount of slots but then i do not know too much on those boards. It was Supermicro H8DAE.

Thanks !

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:16 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I'm sorry. I either didn't read the total thread thoughly enough or missed it. I thought you were running WHS. The same concept applies to the other operating systems though. You probably have the capability to search a limited number of drives for an OS and your system drive is not within those limits when you fully populate the system with drives. Look in device manager and I think you can get the same type of info to give you and idea of how many different path numbers you have on the mother board for the various sata controllers and raid controllers. If you have limited experience I would stay away from the more sophisticated AMD motherboards like the H8DAE which is a Twin AMD dual core because there are issues with Powernow and you probably don't have AMD socket 939 dual cores laying around, also the memory is ECC buffered(not your normal run of the mill system). If you are familiar with intel or have intel processors you can use, look for a single processor motherboard which takes your processor and memory. The other systems can get quite dicey to get up and running effectively.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:23 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

cavediver wrote:
From everything I've been able to figure out, Drive Extender doesn't exhibit proper PP3 behavior when receiving file copies from Windows 7 x64 machines.

cavediver

Have you had any success finding a solution to this issue?
Seems like you, Chasrobin, myself, and a few others have this similar problem.
Win7 (Ultimate) 64 bit copy-paste to WHS. DE seems broken. :cry:

All my writes go to the drives with the most data on them until they are 99% full.
I just had one of those full drives fail as well. I can only blame it on the drive having only 10 GB free space on a 2 TB drive.

All my drives are WD 2 TB Green's. I'm wondering if only this drive behaves this way, or do other brands as well.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:22 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

stelvio wrote:

cavediver

Have you had any success finding a solution to this issue?
Seems like you, Chasrobin, myself, and a few others have this similar problem.
Win7 (Ultimate) 64 bit copy-paste to WHS. DE seems broken. :cry:

All my writes go to the drives with the most data on them until they are 99% full.
I just had one of those full drives fail as well. I can only blame it on the drive having only 10 GB free space on a 2 TB drive.

All my drives are WD 2 TB Green's. I'm wondering if only this drive behaves this way, or do other brands as well.

Thanks

I don't believe there is a solution to this DE problem as of yet and there probably won't be one. I experience this problem when copying from any 64 bit machine including my Vail server to Andromeda. My obversation is that DE in WHS v1 does not play well with 64 bit machines. It works perfect from 32 bit machines.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:37 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

cavediver wrote:

I don't believe there is a solution to this DE problem as of yet and there probably won't be one. I experience this problem when copying from any 64 bit machine including my Vail server to Andromeda. My obversation is that DE in WHS v1 does not play well with 64 bit machines. It works perfect from 32 bit machines.

Well at least the problem is not isolated to my system then.

Is your Vail server 64 bit then? I would hope MS would have this solved, but doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll just have to use your method of removing full drives and then adding them back to the pool before they get above 85-90% full.
I don't believe the drive and system performs at 100% if some drives are 99.9% full.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:41 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

In a classic it world the fix would be a raid set with lots of spindles and a good controller with lots of cache.
You would fan the load out as best you could.
Unfortunately WHS was designed from the outset with some limitations.
Microsoft often has self imposed limits to force you to step up to their full blown server line.
Unfortunately for us again they didn't have the foresight to move some of the WHS features into the higher end products.

Perhaps with Vail/Aurora we will see a tiered approach.
I would love to be able to run raid sets under WHS, or atleast multiple DE pools so I could spread my risk out a little and have cross pool duplication.
Not to mention hot spares.
Perhaps a given pool to a designated controller so a bit of load balancing could happen.
and loose the 32 drive limit so instead of using 2tb drives you could make a pile of 1tb-1.5tb drives where the per dollar to tb bang is better for my buck.
As well as gain the performance boost from more spindles.

Oh Well we can dream, but It might serve us well to run a double headed beast.
A smallish web/server front end and a full blown Win2k8 file server in the rear.
I love the DE simplicity and yet HATE! the DE simplicity.

I don't know still waiting to see if vail changes course.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:40 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

stelvio wrote:
Well at least the problem is not isolated to my system then.

Is your Vail server 64 bit then? I would hope MS would have this solved, but doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll just have to use your method of removing full drives and then adding them back to the pool before they get above 85-90% full.
I don't believe the drive and system performs at 100% if some drives are 99.9% full.

Thanks

Vail is based on Windows Server 2008 R2 which is 64 bit.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:12 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Yup, knew that.
I'm holding out hope HP will do something special with Vail/Aurora and release a high end bit of hardware along the lines of their ML Series of systems with a nice large drive bay.
True SAS controllers Multi CPU's accesable slots for expansion, and integrated iLo.

HP if yer listening, some of us have or will get the budget for a bit of nice hardware.
You could call it the EX9000 in honor of the HP9000's of years past

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:58 pm 

cavediver,

You mentioned you would have preferred setting up your WHS using a Xeon processor. What do you think of the following setup?

Component Part # or Description
SATA Controller: AOC-SASLP-MV8
SAS Cables: 50cm MiniSAS SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 Cable with Sidebands
CPU: Intel Xeon L3406
Motherboard: ASUS P7F-X LGA 1156 Intel 3420 ATX Intel Xeon 3400 series
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/4GI
Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91
Case: NORCO RPC-4220 4U Rackmount Server Chassis

Does that sound more like the setup you would have setup?

Currently I have a WHS with 9.5TB that I can't expand anymore due to hardware limitations aka old desktop form factor.

I'm actually thinking of investing in something like this.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:45 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

FYI, I use the Asus P6T7 and though it's a very nice board I have had some issue's that give me pause.

#1 and most annoying S3 sleep mode does not work.
#2 Practically no win2003 drivers.
#3 I feel it compromises reliability/compatibility for speed (Forces dumbing it down)
#4 GOD Awful network adapter, you can tinker to get them ok but you shouldn't have to.

If you get the asus

1, lock the bios into a fixed cpu default speed.
2, buy an intel network adapter
3, don't even think about sleep modes install lightsout and have it shut off. (saves power and noise)
4, cooling, cooling and more cooling.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:19 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Krazie00 wrote:

Motherboard: ASUS P7F-X LGA 1156 Intel 3420 ATX Intel Xeon 3400 series

Does that sound more like the setup you would have setup?

I prefer the Supermicro mobos simply because they're designed for use in servers.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

cavediver,

How good is norco's exchange policy? I just got my norco 4220 setup and all 5 of the backplanes are not powering up... I started to see some smoke from one of the backplanes and I just pulled the plug to shut the system down. Hope mobo and the cpu is okay. Sigh...

JB

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:48 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

psxstudio wrote:
cavediver,

How good is norco's exchange policy? I just got my norco 4220 setup and all 5 of the backplanes are not powering up... I started to see some smoke from one of the backplanes and I just pulled the plug to shut the system down. Hope mobo and the cpu is okay. Sigh...

JB

Norco is very good at replacing defective parts. Call them and tell them the problem. They love to see pictures of defects if the defect is visible and they'll want to see your purchase invoice.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next