It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:27 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Taken with the iPhone, just getting started, nothing fancy here, I'm afraid ;)

New gigabit switches, my favorite book, and "babyface", the new server

Hey, who's in charge of this sloppy work? ;)

The "frontend" -- powered by an HP m8400f with SageTV and Boxee installed, and a Hauppauge HD-PVR. (It's also the primary streaming server with AirVideo, OrbLive, and Simplify Media installed -- quad core comes in handy when transcoding video files on the fly :) )

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:01 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

JohnBick wrote:
Welcome, TurtleDriver, to the world of MSS/WHS! Good to have you aboard!

Basic advice is very simple.......

Thought I would post a link to some First Steps with a New MSS in hopes it may help some others...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:44 pm 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for posting your setup, darcilicious, you'll have to share pics of "babyface" in the "Show off your server" topic once you get everything set up in it's final resting spot. :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:35 pm 

New member here. Just joined the site after remembering that I had previously discovered a MediaSmart site/forum (while searching for info on the MediaSmart servers), and googling "MediaSmart forum".

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:06 am 

Just got my MSS delivered and setup today. Struck gold on an EX490 from HP.com for $350 w/ EPP discounts and a weekend sale.

So far so good... after reading the advice linked a few posts up I think I'll slow down and test the server more.

Can't wait to see how much this little machine can improve my technology footprint. :sanjuan:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:52 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

New Member here too. Have had my HP EX495 for about 2 weeks. Been reading and bookmarking a ton of good posts. Sure glad I found this place. Just some fantastic info on getting to know this hardware and how to use it, and just what you can do with it! I am sure I will have some questions as I get more into this thing!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:11 pm 

580guy wrote:
New Member here too. Have had my HP EX495 for about 2 weeks. Been reading and bookmarking a ton of good posts. Sure glad I found this place. Just some fantastic info on getting to know this hardware and how to use it, and just what you can do with it! I am sure I will have some questions as I get more into this thing!

Welcome to the gang 580guy :mss: :whs:

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:34 pm 

Hi,
New member. Have been reading for a few weeks. Found through numerous google searches. Longtime developer and system builder (when necessary).

I have run a raid 5 array in a Windows box as a share for home / home office use for the past 10 years. Current array is a paltry 500GB and 5 years old (one drive has gone bad and been replaced in that period). I've needed additional storage and capability for years but have put off the inevitable, partly because I'm trying to solve too many problems with a single box. I would like:
1) Fairly large, safe, filesystem
2) Good backup solution for the 8-10 machines in the house/home office
3) Media storage and streaming to mulitple targets, including our primary living room display
4) Very fast access to the filesystem from my primary machine
5) A box fast enough / big enough to setup and test multiple virtual machines at the same time
6) A box to run SBS or ? to have a real domain (or two) at the home office

WHS appears to solve 1,2 and 3 nicely. I've ordered an EX495 and 4 Samsung 2TB drives as a starting point. It should be here later in the week.

4,5, and 6 are still waiting for a solution. I'm leaning towards buying/building a workstation class machine with a fast disk subsystem and waiting on setting up a domain / exchange for now. As always, I'm torn by the conflicting goals of performance, portability, price and hassle factor. I've enjoyed using a Macbook Pro for the past few years, but it's not fast enough for much of what I want to do. Yet, I hate having to duplicate environments on two machines or split my life between two machines. No easy answers.

MSS has been a great resource. Thanks.

Best,

Steve

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:59 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi all,

Found the site today following some google searches, think I may have found a new home for my Media Server questions (and I have quite a few, lol).
I'm looking to go the DIY route so will be posting most of my queries there.....cant wait to start fleshing out my build and getting to grips with WHS.

My Background:

I'd class myself as a enthusiastic consumer, I've built a couple of gaming desktops, I'm part way through a custom HTPC based on the Zotac H55 ITX board.

Anyways, I've found loads of useful info on the site so far and will be posting more over the coming weeks as I get to grips with what I want/need and looking for advice etc on what's gonna suit me best.

One last important note - I'm UK Based so unfortunately the likes of NewEgg & Bestbuy etc are all off limits for me.

Sam

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:25 pm 
Founder
Founder

Welcome, Sam, we've got several UK members including our illustrious "Uber Moderator" Cougar, and if you've got favorite UK retailers let us know and we can try to post links to deals there as well.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:38 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Cheers for the welcome yakuza - loving the bubbles avatar (possibly my favorite series of all time) - will edit my post in DIY with my prefered vendors.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 am 

Hello,

I found this website while searching for information on a Norco 4220 case. I have built several PC's before but I have never built a server. So... I recently purchased a Compaq 22u server cabinet, rackmounted APC UPS, and a Norco 4220 case. I had some issues with installing the sliding rails that I purchased (Compucase RZ-SRA2-26K) however I finally managed to get them to work correctly. I went to the Norco website and looked at their instructions for their sliding rails and it was the same "instructions" that came with my rails. The only difference was the inclusion of screw sizes. The Compucase RZ-SRA2-26K sliding rails are $29.99 from Directron. The Norco RL-26 sliding rails are $42.99 from Newegg. I installed a Corsair HX750 PSU in the Norco 4220 case and I started researching motherboards the other day. The motherboard that cavediver used on Andromeda is discontinued on most sites. Do you think a Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H would be a good motherboard to use?

thank you

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:40 am 

bahamablue wrote:
Hello,

I found this website while searching for information on a Norco 4220 case. I have built several PC's before but I have never built a server. So... I recently purchased a Compaq 22u server cabinet, rackmounted APC UPS, and a Norco 4220 case. I had some issues with installing the sliding rails that I purchased (Compucase RZ-SRA2-26K) however I finally managed to get them to work correctly. I went to the Norco website and looked at their instructions for their sliding rails and it was the same "instructions" that came with my rails. The only difference was the inclusion of screw sizes. The Compucase RZ-SRA2-26K sliding rails are $29.99 from Directron. The Norco RL-26 sliding rails are $42.99 from Newegg. I installed a Corsair HX750 PSU in the Norco 4220 case and I started researching motherboards the other day. The motherboard that cavediver used on Andromeda is discontinued on most sites. Do you think a Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H would be a good motherboard to use?

thank you

First off, welcome to the gang bahamablue :whs: :mss:

I would post your question in the DIY Server section of the forum, as I am sure many members will be able to help you out.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:15 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hello everyone. I'm new here, but have lurked for a few months. Found this site via Damian's posts over at AVSForum's 'Media Streamers' section. Got my EX490 yesterday (primarily based on Damian's recommendation) and did initial setup. It went well, except it's showing a media collector 'not compatible' warning. Searched here and found this thread, so I'll try a reboot later today to see if it clears the warning.

Already have a San Digital 5-bay eSata tower & a 8-bay USB tower. Will have 26.5TB total storage. Plan to mostly use for Blu-ray ISO's/MKV's & cable/satellite hi-def captures. Also plan to install PlayOn.

Pretty soon, I plan to beef up the CPU & memory. I see a lot of forum members using the Intel E6300 & 4GB RAM. Is this combo still recommended? Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:07 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi guys, I'm a new member and new to the MSS and WHS software in general, although I'm not new to computers, if you can believe it, lol. I know, you're wondering if I've been living under a rock, but I honestly never heard of the HP MSS until yesterday while browsing some youtube videos on home servers.

The whole idea of this little machine really intrigues me because I've been trying to centralize all my media for years now, but never knew how to do it. I was networking my computers together via LAN, but when I upgraded two of my computers to Windows7, that all quickly came to an end because even though all of the networked components (desktop, laptops, PS3, etc.) could *see* each other, I couldn't get file sharing to work. I even lost my streaming ability from my Win7 computers to my PS3 (which I use as my media player for my home theatre). The only computer that still streams to the PS3 is my Vista laptop. None of the Win7 machines will work.

Anyway, long story short, I started looking into building a DIY type home server, and stumbled on products like the Drobo and the HP MSS. Even though the Drobo is a very interesting piece of hardware, the price is insanse, the performance is poor, and my main intention isn't just data backup, which is where that unit excels. I'm going to access whatever server I end up with just as much remotely as I will locally, and will use it for data backup, media streaming, etc. Performance is a very important factor here, even more important than storage stability because I keep all of my really important data backed up on several different hard drives, and if I have a system crash and lose some music or movies, I don't really care all that much. The unit will be available to my entire family, and select friends, and will more than likely be accessed by more then one from remote locations at the same time.

How did I find this site? Well, that's funny because I was looking on eBay and found a few for sale last night, and noticed that someone was selling a 470 because he replaced it with a 490, so I shot him a pm, and asked why he did that, along with a few other general questions about his experiences with the HP MSS, and through that conversation, he recommended this site, which seems to be an excellent source of info for this product, which is very important to me.

I never like to depend on the manufacturer for tech support (Dell has ruined me on that front), so I always like to own products that have a good following from good people, and I think I have landed in the right place.

I'm going to be looking into getting the absolute most out of my home server, so if I do end up going with the MSS, I'll more than likely upgrade the internal components to whatever the best is available at that current time. Like I mentioned before, I built my current water cooled rig, so hardware upgrades don't scare me. I enjoy it actually.

So what do you guys think? Is the MSS the right choice? The only negative thing I have heard about it is with the way it forms redundancy. I have heard that the MSS is very fast if you have a small pool, but once you increase the size of the pool and also increase the size of the data in the pool, the performance drops dramatically. Is this true??

Like I said, I don't care that much about redundancy, I'd rather have performance. Shucks, I'd put this thing in RAID 0 if I could, lol.

Jason

Gen3 Debug Board (all connections)

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next