It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:35 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

thanks for the great writeup. I don't have a need to use it now, but I will in the future.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:49 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

yakuza wrote:
This is only meant to be a process by which you can upgrade your System drive to one of larger capacity without needing to perform a Server Recovery.

Doing a Server recovery seems very fast. Although having to reinstall the add ins can take some time. I recently dumped the 1 TB Seagate for a 1.5TB WD green drive. The whole process was pretty quick. I like it much better than how it was done with the EX47X series.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:58 am 

Has anyone done this successfully with an ears drive by wd. At what point would you align the partitions?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:01 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi all,

I'm running out of space on DIY WHS so I want to switch my main system 500GB drive to a 1.5TB drive which was remove from the pool and replaced with a 2TB drive...

I tried using Acronis True Image home 2010 to clone the system drive to the 1.5TB drive but i get an error that the dive is full!? :crazy:

I've tried a full format of the drive but I still get that error... is there something that's permanently on old pool drives which won't let me clone it???

Any other suggestions?? I have a 1TB drive that has never been in the pool but I'd rather use the 1.5TB for more space.

Thanks! :) :cheers:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:11 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

You can try putting that drive into a PC and format it there, then return it to the server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:21 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Diehard wrote:
You can try putting that drive into a PC and format it there, then return it to the server.

I tried that... is there something that's permanently on old pool drives which won't let me clone it???

I'm having trouble cloning drive...

Anyone run into this problem?? ](*,) :(

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:28 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Not that I know of.

I have heard mention of problems the other way around. Where if you use a drive that was once a system drive and you tried to add it as a pooled drive, there might be a problem formating it.

I surprised that formating it in a PC didn't help.

Have you tried using the diskpart command ?

Or try formating it through the RDC on the server with Disk Management. Also try deleteing the partition, do a quick format, delete the partition again.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Diehard for this post
ipeefreely
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:31 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks for the suggestions Diehard! :mss:

I'll give them a try when I have some more time to test! :wink:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:36 pm 

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

I had one of the bad Seagates - and for the last few months, I have been having to run checkall.cmd more and more often ... so, I finally bought a WD drive and followed the instructions. They were clear, concise, accurate, and I had no problems at all. Thanks, guys!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:32 am 

I was following the guide in order to replace a 500Gb system drive in my frankenbuild that had started to occasionally click/play up, and use Easeus Disk Copy to clone the drive.

When I checked the uniqueid on the drive in the optional part of Step 13 - it had actually copied the old system disk uniqueid over to the replacement 1.5TB system drive.

Easeus Disk Copy is free, so it might be worthwhile adding it as a recommended program to the tutorial if it makes the process of cloning the system disk just that little bit easier.

Thanks again for the guide - it is one of the most useful WHS related guides I've ever seen anywhere. Outstanding!

NB: I had a link to Easeus Disk Copy in my post, but the board wouldn't accept a post from a new user with a url link; do a google search for "Easeus Disk Copy", and it should be the first result.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm 

Followed this guide to migrate to a new hard drive. Everything went well. However, as I went to a larger hard drive I have some free space on the disk. I would like to create a new volume in this space. I have tried creating the new partition as both logical and primary. In both cases it causes Server Storage to perpetually say "calculating sizes". How can I create an additional partition on the system drive and have it accepted by WHS?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:35 pm 
Founder
Founder

You can't, to my knowledge. You're better off cloning the system drive again and resizing the D: partition to use the full capacity.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:06 pm 

Thanks so much! It worked like a champ

The 750gb Seagate included with my EX485 was dying (errors every other day and getting louder by the day). I dreaded the idea of going through a full recovery and so I followed these instructions carefully and was able to swap out the drive for a larger, WD 1tb Caviar Black I picked up on sale at Newegg.

I'm not sure what surprises me more:

1) The fact it worked
2) The fact I didn't mess up a step
3) The fact somebody figured out all these steps and was able to communicate them in a coherent fashion or,
4) The fact that Microsoft didn't foresee a case of the system drive failing and provide a method for cloning the drive

Anyway, thanks again for helping me through my little crisis!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:51 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

great tutorial i do need to upgrade my original disk that came with the server soon. since its starting to fail. this will help me a lot thanks again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:26 am 

I tried your method of moving the system partition to a larger disk - but failed!
On the first look everything went fine. Every entry in the registry was easy to identify and to change - checked everything twice. But in the end I restarted the machine and had an endless number of errors in the console health state window.
THe only difference from your dicription is that the WHS recieved the latest windows-updates and that it is an ACER Easystore H340.
The new system disk is a SAMSUNG 2TB.

I also had some issues with Acronis Home 2010, it contiously showed the error "disk is full". I tried everything: Formatting, deleting and rebuilding the partition, empty the partition. Writing a TIB file and trying to write it to the destination disk requires a very expensive server version of aronis - which I did not do.
So I took drivesnapshot from Mr. Tom Ehlert - the software was bundled with WIN 7-PE in one of the latest CT-magazines. As I mentioned - cloning worked woth DRIVESNAPSHOT, the whole "registry-procedure" worked also - but the result was bad.

Does anybody know if the reason might be a change during the last windows-updates, or something else?
Otherwise I will have to restore my WHS to the factory state loosing 4TB of data :-(((
Or has someone experiance saving the data from all the disks manually to a different drive? How is the data oranized on these disks?

Greetings from Vienna,
Werner

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next