It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:33 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Given that some of us own the iPad, how will you use it and integrate it in you WHS/MSS environment? What's your overall feedback about the iPad itself?

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank All4Fun for this post
dbone1026

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:29 pm 

Thanks for starting this thread Richard. If the iPad or tablets in general take off this definitely opens up a lot of options for streaming media. I look forward to hearing how people plan on using their Ipads to stream media from their WHS/MSS

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:40 pm 

Here are a few interesting tidbits:

I was reading Paul Thurrott's initial impressions, and he actually wasn't all that impressed. Here are a few interesting (and laughable) notes:

Quote:
16 GB isn't 16 GB with the iPad, it's 14 GB. That's a big difference when you're talking about a small pool of storage.

Quote:
the screen is way too reflective. And this is a problem for a lot of things, not just eBooks. It's hard to watch movies on the screen because there are so many reflections. (Well, that and the non-widescreen aspect ratio.

Quote:
The device is far heavier than expected, and heavier than it looks.

Quote:
Anyone who believes this thing is a game changer is a tool. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is.

It appears someone has already jailbreaked the iPad. Not being an iPhone guy, does this really increase the usability of the iPad? Does this open up the capabilities of the type of media that can be played back or streamed from a WHS/MSS (similar to installing Boxee/XBMC on AppleTV)? I am sure jailbreaking does sound interesting for us geeks but my guess the average user would never even consider.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:00 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Well. Paul thurrot has been bashing apple for quite a long time. So his comments don't entirely surprise me.

Jailbreaking means access to whatever 3rd party or home brew software you might choose to run on your apple branded tablet. On the downside you lose access to the apple apps store.

I think an important thing to remember about the iPad is that it is trying to strike the balance between power and usability. The CPU in the iPad is quite snappy, for a mobile CPU. It is not going to run Rings around the newest net book processors. On the other hand it runs a light weight OS, it gets outstanding battery life and it is an instant on operating system, so you never have to sit around waiting for it to start up (even a fresh boot takes maybe 30 seconds).

I currently have two movies, 5 books, 400 songs , 200 photos and a pile of applications on this iPad and I still have over 20 GB out of the original 29 free. Storage on the iPad is only for the stuff you need with you all the time, such as your most important photos, songs and enough entertainment for that next family trip where you might be away from wifi for a day or two.

I fully expect to see more and more streaming options for devices like this in the coming year.

One more thing. The typing gets easier the more you do it. This post only took a few mi utes to compose.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:41 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have an ipod touch (not the iphone, but it runs the same OS) and mine is jailbroken. I can access the Itunes store to purchase\download free apps as well as the ones from cydia.

The biggest thing I see to benefit from the ipad being jail broken is VLC. It works on the touch, but you have to keep in mind the processor speed. Just because you can put a large 4 Gig HD (mkv) video on it doesn't mean its going to play well.

Does anyone know if HP will adjust their streaming app for the ipad?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:23 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

bry1128 wrote:

If it doesn't work now with the iPod Touch/iPhone I don't see why they would change that after the release of the iPad, especially considering they're coming out with their own tablet soon.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:43 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Quote:
If it doesn't work now with the iPod Touch/iPhone I don't see why they would change that after the release of the iPad, especially considering they're coming out with their own tablet soon.

The HP Media Smart App currently works for the Ipod Touch/Iphone. I was using it as recently as yesterday.

The conversion that I was wondering about is all Apps written for the Ipod Touch/Iphone work on the Ipad, however they are all made for the screen size of the touch. So the mobile versions of my videos wouldn't look nearly as sharp on the Ipad.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:03 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

bry1128 wrote:
Quote:

The HP Media Smart App currently works for the Ipod Touch/Iphone. I was using it as recently as yesterday.

The conversion that I was wondering about is all Apps written for the Ipod Touch/Iphone work on the Ipad, however they are all made for the screen size of the touch. So the mobile versions of my videos wouldn't look nearly as sharp on the Ipad.

If they have an app out now then it would seem reasonable they would update it for the iPad. Although, again, with a competing product coming soon there's always the chance they will not.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:59 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

bry1128 wrote:
I have an ipod touch (not the iphone, but it runs the same OS) and mine is jailbroken. I can access the Itunes store to purchase\download free apps as well as the ones from cydia.

The biggest thing I see to benefit from the ipad being jail broken is VLC. It works on the touch, but you have to keep in mind the processor speed. Just because you can put a large 4 Gig HD (mkv) video on it doesn't mean its going to play well.

Thanks for providing that bit of info. I was under the impression from other things I've read that there were definitely disadvantages to jail breaking with app store compatibility being among them.

It will be interesting to see how Apple handles security on the iPad since it has higher dollar, higher profit applications available in the app store. There have been numerous stories indicating that a very high percentage of jail broken phones are running cracked/pirated versions of apps that are normally available for purchase and this puts Apple under pressure to make the device more secure.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:05 pm 

jmpage2 wrote:

Thanks for providing that bit of info. I was under the impression from other things I've read that there were definitely disadvantages to jail breaking with app store compatibility being among them.

It will be interesting to see how Apple handles security on the iPad since it has higher dollar, higher profit applications available in the app store. There have been numerous stories indicating that a very high percentage of jail broken phones are running cracked/pirated versions of apps that are normally available for purchase and this puts Apple under pressure to make the device more secure.

What is the biggest risk, that Apple somehow locks out your iPad? Can they kill functionality through an update on an iPhone?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:30 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Quote:
What is the biggest risk, that Apple somehow locks out your iPad? Can they kill functionality through an update on an iPhone?

The only people I've heard of getting banned from the apple store is the hackers themselves:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/hack-your-iphone-get-banned-by-apple/

So it is possible.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:38 pm 

It appears right now some users are have issues with the WiFi:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=7908&tag=nl.e589

Curious about the experience from any users here. Has anyone tried to stream content from your MSS/WHS, experiencing dropouts, slow performance, etc...?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:03 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
It appears right now some users are have issues with the WiFi:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=7908&tag=nl.e589

Curious about the experience from any users here. Has anyone tried to stream content from your MSS/WHS, experiencing dropouts, slow performance, etc...?

I haven't yet tried to stream anything from the WHS. One reason is that I don't have much video content right now (something I hope will change soon as I'm very close to investing in some kind of streamer and want to move my BD/DVD collection to the WHS).

I did initially have problems streaming video from Netflix and ABC. The video would start playback and then the application would fail and I'd be back at the iPad home page.

I did a restart on the iPad and it's been flawless with streaming video from Netflix, etc, ever since.

The iPad does have a Wireless-N radio in it and it would not surprise me if people with older firmware on their routers or routers that were draft-N and never made "N" compliant could be having issues.

I have a Netgear 3700 which has dual N band radios. I attached the iPad to my "N only" radio and it has a rock solid signal anywhere in my 3300+ square foot home. The only wifi anomaly I have noticed is that sometimes if you wake up the iPad and immediately try to connect you will get a message that the internet is not connected. A refresh, etc, clears this up. I suspect that the iPad puts the wireless radio into a standby state after a while to save on battery life.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:10 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
jmpage2 wrote:

Previous Jail Breaks have resulted in occurrences of bricked hardware, devices that could no longer run applications from Cydia, etc. I've never heard of Apple "banning" anyone a la MS with the Xbox 360 but then again I don't jailbreak my stuff so I don't know what they are up to currently.

There is a huge jail break community for iPhone and iPod Touch and it sometimes seems as though Apple doesn't take huge pains to lock them out.

As I said though, several studies have demonstrated that many people who jailbreak the devices are running pirated paid for apps, and this is something Apple (understandably) frowns on. Maybe at some point they can prevent people from using stolen software but still let them do some tinkering with the devices.

I view the iPad and devices like it as appliances. Even though I'm an engineer by trade and take great delight in disassembling electronics, tweaking operating systems, etc, when it comes to something like a media player I simply want it to "work" and be as rock solid as possible.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:30 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

This is a test recording that I'm making to determine how useful Dragon dictation is for doing forum posts and short e-mails from the iPad I will be posting this message unedited on the media smart server.net forms

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jmpage2 for this post
yakuza