It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:03 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

tumsk wrote:
1. Critical Error: The Backup Database has errors.....

2. Remote Access won't work

(1) Sounds like the System Drive was completely reformatted or, possibly, you used a new drive? I have restored before without loosing data on the System Drive (D-Drive partition), but not, of course, doing the 3.0 update. Cleaning the data off that drive with the Drive Balancer UTILITY would probably be a good preliminary step for others (as a preventative measure).

(2) Have you tried this from outside your home? It could be a loopback problem or a false error indication. Neither is uncommon. If you are in need you could PM me your url and I can test it from here for you.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:24 pm 

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome...

Texas-Hansen wrote:
Prior to the install of HP 3.0 was your MSS completely up to date with all updates?
Yes, it was, WHS PP3 plus everything delivered automatically via windows update plus and the latest HP Updates for the EX470.

Texas-Hansen wrote:
On the remote access, go to the Settings tab and remote access tab and release your web site and then set it back up again. When I've run into this problem in the past, that has worked for me to fix the issue. Perhaps, it might work for you in this instance.
Well that seems to have worked. It may be that this action is required to correctly re-install the SSL certificate for HTTPS. It seemed to cause the SSL port in IIS to get configured as it has return to 443 from an alternative I had set whilst trying to fix this. I changed the HTTP port back to 80 as well and now all the remote access tests in the setting window pass. \:D/ The moral of this story is dont give up without trying things that other people say has not worked for them! :roll:

So onto the next issue - all the sub-sites now seem to work except for HP Photo Viewer which only shows a "Server Error in '/PhotoViewer' Application" page. :?
UPDATE: Fixed with the advice from this thread - missing directory and index.xml file after 3.0 upgrade.

Last edited by tumsk on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank tumsk for this post
bgoodbody
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:36 pm 

Thanks for the response...

JohnBick wrote:
(1) Sounds like the System Drive was completely reformatted or, possibly, you used a new drive?
I'd tend to agree that the System Drive would appear to have been reformatted or at least the D partition of it was. It certainly wasn't a new drive, the upgrade was done with the system drive and pool drives in-situ.
UPDATE: Actually I take that back - the D:\folders\{6F8B59FA-07A0-46D2-B10C-034EA1B39AB0} directory contains a directory called backup with some HP-MSS R1.3.1 backup system files in it and the old 'webshare' folder is in that path too so unless the 3.0 upgrade put them there (v. unlikely i would have thought) then it looks like that partition was not reformatted. :?

JohnBick wrote:
(2) Have you tried this from outside your home? It could be a loopback problem or a false error indication. Neither is uncommon.
Remote access was all working beforehand on ports 80 and 443 both using the machine name and the qualified domain name (from within the local network). I'm using a Netgear WNDR3700 router and FWIW if you go with uPnP configuration then you end up with a loopback issue, but if you manually configure the port forwarding (which I have) then the router's behaviour changes and the loopback problems are resolved (go figure!). Anyways, this particular issue was resolved through releasing and re-configuring the windows live domain.

Last edited by tumsk on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:05 pm 

hellerbrewing wrote:
Kubiskisk wrote:
My EX470 with 2GB memory has behaved well anfter the initial evening of installation attempts. Last night I did a few windows updates when I were logged on to the server (RDP with mstsc.exe) and updated everything. I did notice the Marvel driver too.

Stability seems fine and streaming of movies seems to go a lot smoother too with the 3.0 update.

What are you using to stream movies?

Texas-Hansen wrote:
As side note, the general consensus is that for WHS, it's best to do the updates from the WHS Console (Settings>General> and in middle, you'll see Windows Update) rather than RDPing into the server platform and doing the Windows updates from there. The updates from within the windows server 2003 platform (RDP) are different than the WHS Windows updates and can sometimes create some unexpected results.

So just to be clear, is the Marvel driver update available in Windows Update in the WHS console?

Usually I would use a popcornhour a-110,but it died sometime before christmas. Lately I have used our Xbox 360. I have apopcorn a-200 on order. When you buy from the cheapest supplier of a device and it fails, things can tak a lot of time :-(. It failed in september last year.

I did *not* see the marvel driver as one of the updates from the WHS conosle. The MSS were left alone for more than 24 hours withour suggesting any updates.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:07 pm 
Founder
Founder

The PhotoViewer works fine no my upgraded EX485. Another user reported that this helped them, perhaps it will help you.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
tumsk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:35 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Well, its know 24hrs from installing the new marvell driver. All backups have completed with out issue. No file conflict either.
To this end anyone having problems with there external esata enclosures, I would suggest updating the above driver (a google search dose the trick).
Its going to be a week or so before I put any trust in the system with 3.0 update, but things are looking up for know. :)

All that is left is to get web access to work. Have released and renewed my domain but can;t get access. Any ideas would be welcome

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:25 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

ern wrote:
I seem to have a few permission problems in some of my folders which I am still investigating.

Hi,

Did you manage to resolve the permission problems on some of your folders ?
I have the same issue and didn't find any workaround ...

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:11 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

andricop wrote:
ern wrote:
I seem to have a few permission problems in some of my folders which I am still investigating.

Hi,

Did you manage to resolve the permission problems on some of your folders ?
I have the same issue and didn't find any workaround ...

Thanks

Yes I did the actions on this link http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-U ... 0518c3fde0

Which says the following

"If you are experiencing permissions issues on Windows Home Server after an RC -> RTM upgrade, and you are getting errors such as 'Invalid File Handle', please follow these steps.

1. Log into your home server via Remote Desktop.
2. For each one of the shared folders which contains files exhibiting this issue, e.g. Music, Photos or a specific user folder e.g. d:\shares\users\mark (don’t try this on d:\shares\users):
a. Right click on the folder, select properties, and security tab.
b. Click on the advanced button.
c. Check the “replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects”
d. Click apply.

Thanks to Mark Vayman of the Windows Home Server team for these steps!"

It seemed to work for me. It would be nice if someone a bit more clued up on WHS could confirm this is/was! safe to do before I could recommend you do this though

regards

ern

Macbook Air, Mac Mini
Viewbook Win8.1 Laptop
Acer Revo W7 PC for recording TV

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:14 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Well upgraded the ole' server with 3.0 today, went well with just a few little quirks. Seems that the discs H.P. sent are labeled wrong, The server restore disc was actually the P.C. restore disc, and the P.C. restore disc was the Server restore disc. That out of the way, Couldn't get the connector software to uninstall from my desktop. Used the uninstall in windows, but it wouldn't go away!! Finally after many attemps it did.

Ended up installing the 3.0 from desktop with a direct cable, and when the server rebooted and went to install the software on the computer ( 32 bit HP with Vista home premium ), the computer hung up and that was all folks!!. Shut everything down, hooked the server back into the network, and without thinking about it, ran the software installation disc on the other desktop ( HP 64 bit Vista Home Premium ) and it went right through without a hitch. Did have to change the server name, as the new default appears to be hpstorage instead of hpserver.

I did the server recovery( did back everything up to a non pool disc just in case ). When all was done, all my data was intact and gettable YAY! and it says all my pc backups are there. ( taking it's word for that) The server did a few updates, pushed new connector software to all the 4 computers that I had installed the 3.0 connector on.

So far all is well and plodding along nicely! reinstalled grid junction, re-added the "just in case" drive to the pool, let it format and turned on the folder duplications.

I like the new look and feel, and seems very responsive on the stock processor and 2 gig of memory. I must say that I have twonky off, and no video's to convert either - yet - :-D

So far very pleased!

Bob

HP 32 Bit Dual Core Desktop Vista
2 HP 64 Bit Dual Core Laptops Windows 8
1 Gateway 32 Bit Dual Core Laptops Vista
1 Gateway Laptop XP
C-200 Popcorn Hour

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:57 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

My upgrade on my EX487 went very smoothly. However we are a mixed house MAC's and PC's, the problem I have is I can see the HP MediaSmart Sever on my network from my MAC's but when I try and setup Time Machine I get an error message stating my HP Server could not be found, very strange. For the record I get a similar message when I click on the Software Update Tab.

Has anybody with MAC's (Snow Leopard) been able to get Time Machine to work for them?

Proud owner of a EX485 with 2 x 1.5 TB drives, 750 GB Drive, and 1 TB Drive

Mixed house of Windows XP, Vista and Mac OS X, Apple TV streaming from MediaSmart Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:57 am 

The upgrade story on my EX485 isn't so rosy. My discs were labeled properly and I popped in the Server Restore disc in my Windows XP box (which usually just does BeyondTV DVR duty). My first attempt resulted in a error about 30 minutes into the server recovery "could not write to volume." Second attempt also resulted in an error "could not write to partition." I tried 3 more times before I resorted to doing a server restore. When that didn't work I started to panic, thinking I bricked my server.

Some troubleshooting I did during my first 5-hour ordeal included switching ethernet cables, connecting a crossover cable directly between the PC and EX485, but still no go.

I then booted up my Mac Mini into Windows XP via Boot Camp and tried a server restore from there, and after an hour got a success message. I spent the rest of the day (and last night) copying data from a backup USB drive to the server and performing backups from my PC, Mac Mini, and MacBook. I've lost old backups (including Time Machine backups), but I'm glad I didn't brick the EX485.

As to the server restore failure from the PC, I wonder if I have a failing DVD drive (The old Pioneer DVR106 seemed to spin up and down a lot during the recovery/restore attempts). I also meant to remove Symantec antivirus software from the EX485 before the recovery attempt, but forgot so I wonder if that set off the chain of events.

My main reason for upgrading to 3.0 is for for (hopefully) improved Mac functionality. When using 2.5, my Time Machine volumes "Backup to HP Media Server" would not always mount when on ethernet (but interestingly would mount when on WiFi/AirPort). I'll need to do more testing in the next few days to see if 3.0 fixed this, but so far so good.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:14 am 
Founder
Founder

A bad DVD or DVD drive are usually the cause of the "could not write to volume" message, my from experience. Glad you ended up with a working system!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:51 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Here is how my day went doing the 3.0 upgrade on my ex475. The upgrade seemed to be going well and after 10 min. said it was done but didn't reboot, just went into wanting to install the connector software on my Win 7 64bit desktop I was using to install the up grade. That is where things went south on me. I started getting messages that the desktop couldn't communicate with the server and that the "operation couldn't be completed". I tried to do another recovery but got the message that the recovery could not be done, or something like that ( I know, I should have written down the actual message) and that I would be notified if a solution could be found.

At that point I hooked the MSS up to my netbook, 32 bit XP, with a crossover cable and started the process again. All went smooth. About the time I loaded the connector software on my original desktop I got the message that the back up data base was corrupt and needed to be repaired. I did that and lost the entire database. I'm thinking now that if I had done the connector software using the same username and passwords, I could have skipped that repair. No big deal as I have it backed up on my IO Safe if I need them. I then loaded the connector software on my wife's desktop, came back up and tried to connect to the server with the connector and got told "The terminal server has exceeded the maximum number of allowed connections" Having a hard time figuring that one out as I only have the connector software installed on four computers. I turned off two of the four computers and still got that message. Any one got a clue what that is all about? I haven't done a search on that particular message here yet but plan on doing it first thing in the morning. My brain is a little too tired to get into that issue right now.

So....except for having too many connections all looks good right now. There were several times today where I was kicking myself for doing the up grade.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:28 pm 

Just finished the 3.0 upgrade and everything went suprisingly well. The entire process including loading the connector software on all of the computers took about 4.5 hours. The only little speed bump I had was when it attempts to find the server for the final time...had to retry four times before it found it and completed. All the patches installed without a problem. Very disappointed that the add-in that is promised in the HP upgrade guide for Amazon S3 on-line backup is apparently not going to happen. I wonder if Amazon knows about this...they will as soon as I can contact them as well as HP. That's no way to treat customers!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:35 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Got my disks on Monday, I was pretty tired but managed to get through the upgrade before I faceplanted for the night. Something was causing Twonky to peg my CPU. Deleted the DVD backup of Family Guy: Blue Harvest. Twonky was immediately happy. By the by, big thank you to Alex for updating the MSS Fan control, much appreciated sir.

Everything seems fine, I'll have to troubleshoot remote access though. I think with my craptastic ISP Telus, I had to manually allow a bunch of port forwarded connections (for the 2.5 U/D for ex470) in the Windows Firewall for RDP from WAN, it works fine internally but from the WAN it refuses connections. occured to me as I was typing that I might have even posted what I had to do in a thread here. Gonna go check...

UPDATE:

I got home tonight to find HP had couriered me a message telling me my disks were mislabelled...

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next