It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:24 pm 

Hi - I am new to the board. I am glad I found it because it has helped me a lot. I still have a couple of issues that I have not been able to resolved, nor the HP tech support.

My problem is I can watch the movies I've ripped with Rip it without any issues when the movie file is on the desktop, but when I move it to the videos folder on the MSS the video is choppy and it freezes constantly. I am using the Mac's DVD app. MSS's CPU and memory usage is low. I didn't have any issue when I store my movie files on an external hard disk that was connected directly to my iMac.

I am not using iTunes server, media streaming, or the twonky (media server) and time machine and remote access are disabled. The McAfee total protection service is also not used. Basically I use the EX495 to store my media files and duplication (back up) of these files.

My computer is an iMac running snow leopard.

The MSS's music, video and photo folders are mounted on my desktop. iTunes works great, and I can stream to my Apple TV both music and movies (converted to work with APTV) without any problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:41 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I'm suspicious of the connection speed.

What is your network utilization?
Do you have a wired connection (like gigabit ethernet) or are you doing it via wireless?

I can't provide direct help (yet) as I'm still getting my EX495 up and running and have yet to complete the network re-wire to move up to all gigabit ethernet routers and switches (I'm not happy with how long transfer takes over a 100 Mbit/sec connection).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:15 pm 

I tried both ethernet and w/l connection to my Airport Extreme with the same results. The 495's System Status indicates all is running well and at normal utilization (also verified by HP's tech support). Could it be Rip It's video file? This really bugs me because all else is running well, but if this is not resolved I would have to send it back...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:36 am 

OK. So I was able watch a movie ripped with Handbreak (m4v format) that is being stored in the MSS and was able to play it with out any issues with both iTunes and Quicktime. It guess is something to do with the rip results I get when using RipIt. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:24 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Welcome to WHS-Mac interaction hell. I've had this problem between my 495 and my Mac Pro since I installed my 495. SMB access between the two sucks. My Windows machines do not have this problem playing videos from the 495 with Media Player, VLC, iTunes, Quicktime, etc... just access between WHS and Macs. This spills over into horrible access issues with accessing files via the Finder.

It's a long-standing SMB issue between MS and Apple that is worse on WHS than it is on other MS server products. I had some slowness issues between my Mac Pro and my old Dell Server 2003 server (running a Celeron CPU), but nothing like the issues I see with the WHS unit.

If it wasn't for the unified backup services provided by my 495 I'd be sorely temped to set the thing on fire. And I am running a full 1GB network with Cat5E cables.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:25 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Interesting that the Apple TV works fine, but the Mac does not. One would assume the SMB issues would be present on both...

I've had a lot of success with my iMac, but I don't have an Apple TV to test. Also, I use handBrake for all of my video encoding.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:19 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

My question would be, what format are your files being ripped as? I have a Macbook with 4GB of ram on Snow Leopard and a 4GB of ram with a PMG5 with Leopard and I dont have any lagging issues whatsoever. No lag on my PS3 either. So it could be maybe the format that you are ripping as?

Blu-ray: 297

Thanks