It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:05 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Well, my warranty expires in a few days for my 485 so it's time to change out the processor to a E5200. Since everything is passively cooled, has anyone tried lapping the CPU to take temps down even more? Anyone have before and after results?

Viral

HP EX485, 8.00TB Storage

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:56 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Viral,

I have lapped before, not on the HP server, but on my home PC. While I no longer have the before and after results, it did help by a little. if memory serves me correctly it was minus 2-3 degrees F from ambient. The results all depend on how bad things are to start off with of course, and whether or not you lap just the CPU or the CPU and the heatsink.

On a side note, I was able to overclock the Intel E6600 (2.4GHz) on the Abit AW9D-MAX to 400MHz which is not an easy task for that mobo :P

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:55 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

What grit did you use for the lapping? I'll probably do both the cpu and the heatsink just for those extra degrees. Maybe I can squeeze a few more hundred Mhz out of the CPU.

TAdams wrote:
Viral,

I have lapped before, not on the HP server, but on my home PC. While I no longer have the before and after results, it did help by a little. if memory serves me correctly it was minus 2-3 degrees F from ambient. The results all depend on how bad things are to start off with of course, and whether or not you lap just the CPU or the CPU and the heatsink.

On a side note, I was able to overclock the Intel E6600 (2.4GHz) on the Abit AW9D-MAX to 400MHz which is not an easy task for that mobo :P

HP EX485, 8.00TB Storage

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:42 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

It has been so long now it is hard to remember the exact grit, I know I did it in 3 stages. I believe the first stage was around 300 grit, then 1000(not sure on this number) and then 2000 grit. I wanted the shiny finish haha! My wife thought I was weird, however when I started taking apart the motherboard and replacing the thermal pads with thermal grease, she was ready to have me committed! :crazy:

Good luck and post pictures! Perhaps when the warranty is over I will do the same :sanjuan:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:49 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

As far as lapping goes, I have lapped the heat sink itself. It is by no means flat...

From what I have seen for myself, lapping the CPU will be a waste of time compared to that of the heat sink.

I have pictures of before, during, and after lapping the heat sink. Is there a way to post pictures directly on this forum?

I think that you'd be really surprise by how far off it is. I believe that I lowered the temperature by about 6 degrees.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:28 pm 
Founder
Founder

You can attach files underneath the box where you type your post (you need to use the Full Editor to access that).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:52 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

OK, I lapped the CPU heat sink that was on my EX485. I'm going to try to put just a few pictures up here. I have many more high-resolutuion pictures that I took throughout the process, but I think that these few lower-resolution pictures will make my point about the heat sink.

Just to show my progress, I took a blue sharpie and made a serpentine pattern on the heat sink surface. I could go into more detail on what I used and etc., but I thought that you might first find this visually interested in what I found as I lapped the heat sink. It did take some work to get it done, but I think that the heat sink is a much bigger issue than lapping the CPU. Not to say that doing both wouldn't help.

I did this about 6 months ago…

Attachment:
File comment: Before
_HeatSinkB4s.jpg
_HeatSinkB4s.jpg [ 338.38 KiB | Viewed 14047 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: In Progress - 1
_HeatSinkS1s.jpg
_HeatSinkS1s.jpg [ 351.7 KiB | Viewed 14047 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: In Progress - 2
_HeatSinkS2s.jpg
_HeatSinkS2s.jpg [ 374.92 KiB | Viewed 14047 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Final
_HeatSinkFs.jpg
_HeatSinkFs.jpg [ 359.23 KiB | Viewed 14047 times ]

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Klips for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:27 am 
Founder
Founder

Nice post, those pictures are good at showing your progress. How long do you think it took to complete? I agree that there's likely more value in lapping the heatsink than the CPU.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:54 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Will there be any difference in performance if my temps are between 30C and 57C instead of my current 35C and 62C?
This sound like it would have made a differecne in the days that I used to overclock CPUs, but that was in the 90's and early 2000's.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:15 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

aaronwt wrote:
Will there be any difference in performance if my temps are between 30C and 57C instead of my current 35C and 62C?
This sound like it would have made a differecne in the days that I used to overclock CPUs, but that was in the 90's and early 2000's.

I don't think that you will find many users that can report your temperatures as you are stating them. Maybe this is the temps that the EX490 series have but not usually for the EX480 series. If I was seeing 35C/62C, I wouldn't bother either. However, that isn't what I was seeing. At least, not from the WHS console. I saw a big difference in temperature between using CPUID versus the WHS console. I'm not sure which is actually right.

When I was running the E6300 in my system, under load the WHS console would be peaking out around 79C. Lapping the HS did bring it down from there.

Excluding the time to find the material, the actual time that I played around lapping the heat sink for me was around a couple of hours. But I was cleaning it off and taking a bunch of pictures as well. So, I'd figure a little over an hour.

I used a 1 foot square piece of single pane glass from Lowes (~$1.50). I went to an auto parts store and a variety pack that went from around 400 to 2000 grit. I think that I paid $10 for a variety pack and I still have enough left over to do a couple more hest sinks.

What I did was duct taped the glass down on a formica top. When I started with some of the 400 grit paper and taped it down on the glass. I choose to use water with a drop or two of dish soap. I would move the heat sink across the paper a few times and then rotate it 90 degrees and continued until I felt that I had gotten the most that I could get down to with that grit. Because I found the heat sink to be so off. I ended up putting on another fresh piece of 400 grit to get it down even enough to start polishing. Then I went from 400-800-...-2000 grit. Doing the same 90 degree rotation every ten strokes or so. I kept adding water to remove the reside of the sanding. Added a drop or two of dish soap to add a little lubrication.

Writing this down does reminds me of an issue I was seeing. The root cause turned out to be painfully obvious. As I was sanding, I was holding the heat sink on the sides as low as I could. I didn't want to tip the heat sink while sanding (i.e., I wanted it to stay flat). As I was sanding, I started to noticed this light brown, kind of rust, looking streaks in the slury of water and soap. I kept going for quite a while and just kept noticing it. After a few iterations and several grits of sand paper later, I found the problem. The water/soap combination was so good at its job, I didn't notice that I was sanding a couple of my finger tips down. Of course by the time I realized that I had sanded off many layers of skin, it really took me quite a while to stop the bleeding. It's funny that it didn't start hurting until I was almost done with the heat sink. Then it smarted like heck.

Klips

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Klips for this post
ViralHack
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Klips wrote:
aaronwt wrote:
Writing this down does reminds me of an issue I was seeing. The root cause turned out to be painfully obvious. As I was sanding, I was holding the heat sink on the sides as low as I could. I didn't want to tip the heat sink while sanding (i.e., I wanted it to stay flat). As I was sanding, I started to noticed this light brown, kind of rust, looking streaks in the slury of water and soap. I kept going for quite a while and just kept noticing it. After a few iterations and several grits of sand paper later, I found the problem. The water/soap combination was so good at its job, I didn't notice that I was sanding a couple of my finger tips down. Of course by the time I realized that I had sanded off many layers of skin, it really took me quite a while to stop the bleeding. It's funny that it didn't start hurting until I was almost done with the heat sink. Then it smarted like heck.
Klips

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do just that. I have to make the trip to Lowes. I must admit.... I lol'd at the sanding of the fingertips. :P

HP EX485, 8.00TB Storage

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:34 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

ViralHack wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do just that. I have to make the trip to Lowes. I must admit.... I lol'd at the sanding of the fingertips. :P

Make sure to get some temperature reading before and after lapping the heat sink. The skin on the finger tips did grow back. lol

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:28 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Klips wrote:
ViralHack wrote:

Make sure to get some temperature reading before and after lapping the heat sink. The skin on the finger tips did grow back. lol

I just got my new processor in yesterday. Time to head out and grab some sandpaper and go to town!

I'm going to get my temps from multiple sources just to get an overall look:

RealTemp
MSS Console
CPUz

I figure with all three I'll check the before and afters and see if there's much difference. I'll be taking the before's today. I'll keep everyone updated.

Viral

HP EX485, 8.00TB Storage

Thanks