It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:27 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Charles,

I ordered and received one of your Gen2 cables back in January and finally got around to installing it on my EX495 today. I was able to access the BIOS on the first boot. I'm using a PS2 Keyboard and Mouse via my ATEN KVM Switch but everything seems to work just fine. The only thing I haven't checked is the serial connection.

:sanjuan:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:20 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Has anyone been successful at getting into the BIOS with a USB keyboard?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:44 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

bWare wrote:
I didn't buy your connection kit but I followed the orginal thread and built VGA+PS2 keyboard connector.

VGA works but not PS2. One thing I notice, and very strange, that my EX490 BIOS is an EVALUATION COPY!!

I have capture the screenshot of the boot screen, hope it may give you some idea to fix the problem. -> see thread viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6973

USB Keyboard works (can press CTRL-ALT-DEL at network boot screen) but I don't seem to have option to get into EX490 BIOS even with JP2 shorted.

Update: I got PS2 Keyboard working. My original connection is to connect +5V to pin2 and GND to pin4. I observed that the keyboard doesn't seems to react. I then measure the voltage between pin2 and pin4. It was around 1.65V, I also measure pin1 and pin3 which gives me 5V. I move the keyboard 5v connection to pin1 and GND to pin3 and I got PS2 keyboard working. It seems like EX49x may have different CN2 connections.

I still don't have access to BIOS; (

I am in the same situation as you. typing this from my PS2 keyboard on my EX49x.
I built my own cable also with the VGA,PS2 keyboard and mouse. The VGA works. I just tested the PS2 keyboard. At first it was not working. The keyboard does work on my EX47x but not on the EX49x. I changed pins 2 and 4 to pins 1 and 3 for the EX49x and now it works.

But I also have the issue of not getting into the BIOS when hitting DELETE. I can type as I am doing this post. I did try 2 different jumpers without success.
UPDATE: I grounded pin 4 and can now boot into the BIOS

There must have been a change in the connector, maybe different production runs.

I have not tested the PS2 mouse yet.

Last edited by Diehard on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Diehard for this post
MrPlow, pax
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:51 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I previously reported that my Gen2 KVM cable worked with my EX495 using a KVM switch. Unfortunately, it wouldn’t work if I directly connected a keyboard and mouse to the EX495 which led me to do a bit more troubleshooting. After making the change described below, I have been able to get 2 out of 3 of my keyboards working with the Gen2 cable when directly connected to my EX495. With help from Cakalapati, I’m still trying to figure out why some keyboards work and others don’t but thought I should at least let everyone know what we have figured out to this point.

It appears that HP has made a change to how Pin 4 of the 26-pin KVM cable is used. In earlier versions, Pin 4 was tied to ground just like Pins 3, 10, 16, 17, 20, 21 & 24. With my EX495, I confirmed that Pin 4 is tied to one side of JP2 (BIOS Access Enable Jumper). The other side of JP2 is tied to a sense line just as it apparently was in the earlier EX48x version. The sense line has a pull-up resistor to 3.3V which explains why folks have reported measuring only 1.7V between the +5 and Ground pins of their Mini-DIN keyboard connector.

In this version CPU board, JP2 must be installed AND Pin 4 of the 26-pin KVM cable must be tied to ground in order to enable BIOS keyboard access. The pull-up resistor limits the current to < 1mA so it is safe to connect Pin 4 to ground. The ground pin (Pin 3) of your keyboard connector must also be tied to one of the other ground pins in the KVM cable to properly power your keyboard.

My KVM switch makes it work because it connects the keyboard and mouse grounds together. If you are using one of cakalapati’s Gen2 KVM cable kits and you are good with a soldering iron, you can simply solder a short jumper wire on the back of the KVM adapter PCB between Pins 3 & 4 of the 26-pin connector. That both ties pin 4 to ground and provides the proper ground reference to the keyboard ground pin.

Please note that there still appears to be some difference between the EX490, EX495 and X510 that prevents some keyboards from working so even if you make this change, your keyboard may still not work. Until we figure out why, the only option appears to be to try another keyboard until you find one that works.

Note: Corrected from original post which indicated Pin 2

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank James_T_White for this post
MrPlow
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:41 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Gen3 KVM Coming Soon!
...with full PS2 Keyboard and PS2 Mouse support, with EMI and ESD protection.

Update: The Gen3 debug board released. Click here to order.

Attachments:
GI0F7406 (Large).JPG
GI0F7406 (Large).JPG [ 92.92 KiB | Viewed 33637 times ]

Last edited by cakalapati on Mon May 10, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank cakalapati for this post
efegue, yakuza
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:58 am 

Gen3 KVM where can we order that , do you have a link ? thanks'

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:41 am 
Founder
Founder

It's not available yet, but when it is the Marketplace forum is where you'll find it.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
culius
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:03 am 

I have a X312 and a VGA only connector cable. Is it also possible to make the changes to the connector cable but to use an USB keyboard instead of a PS/2 keyboard directly attached?

Regards,
Martin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:02 am 

A workaround for installing Linux on the X300 Series devices:

Zero all drives' partition tables and boot sectors and boot via PXE. As soon as the BIOS POST is done, USB input (keyboard) is fully working and usable.

My X312 was set to boot from LAN if no bootable partitions are found when I bought it. I havent' managed to get into my BIOS so far, but at the moment there is no need for it anyway...

Installing Debian via PXE from another Linux box (Also works from an Ubuntu Live CD, if you dont have a Linux box): http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/478

In German:

Installing Debian via PXE from another Linux box: http://www.onderka.com/2010/09/02/debia ... x311-x312/

Installing Debian via PXE from a Microsort RIS Server: http://www.onderka.com/2010/09/03/debia ... is-booten/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:38 pm 

Diehard,

>UPDATE: I grounded pin 4 and can now boot into the BIOS

Thanks your good job!!
I try made the cable which the pin 3 and the pin 4 short, and only connection of the VGA signals.(= Without PS2 signals)

I connected cable, inserted JP2 and the USB keyboard, and the USB mouse to EX490.
My EX490 was operated in BIOS screen with the USB keyboard !

The PS2 keyboard is already unnecessary!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:45 pm 

bWare wrote:
I didn't buy your connection kit but I followed the orginal thread and built VGA+PS2 keyboard connector.

VGA works but not PS2. One thing I notice, and very strange, that my EX490 BIOS is an EVALUATION COPY!!

I have capture the screenshot of the boot screen, hope it may give you some idea to fix the problem. -> see thread viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6973

USB Keyboard works (can press CTRL-ALT-DEL at network boot screen) but I don't seem to have option to get into EX490 BIOS even with JP2 shorted.

Update: I got PS2 Keyboard working. My original connection is to connect +5V to pin2 and GND to pin4. I observed that the keyboard doesn't seems to react. I then measure the voltage between pin2 and pin4. It was around 1.65V, I also measure pin1 and pin3 which gives me 5V. I move the keyboard 5v connection to pin1 and GND to pin3 and I got PS2 keyboard working. It seems like EX49x may have different CN2 connections.

I still don't have access to BIOS; (

Just want to thank you and everyone else around the MediaSmartServer.net forums. I was completely stumped as to why my ex495 keyboard wouldn't work. I followed several posts across several forums to find the parts and made my own cable but just could not, for the life of me, figure it out. It wasn't until I searched this forum with the keyboards "ex495 keyboard jumper" that I found your post and several others.

I moved pin 2 to pin 1, moved pin 4 to pin 3 and then I jumped pin 4 to pin 10 in order to ground pin 4. (I also added a jumper to JP2 which is labeled C on my mobo)

So thanks to you and to everyone else around here.

Mr. Plow

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:19 pm 

This is my very first post so please bare with me. Just thought I would share this experience with everyone.
Consider it a "Teaching Moment"...

I've had my EX490 for about two years now. It's a fairly vanilla configuration although I did add a 1T and 1.5T drive to it over that period of time. Up until recently the system was running the McAfee SW that came pre installed. Last week I decided to remove it and install Vipre because I have a 10 PC license and they say it also runs on Windows Server 2003. I couldn't justify extending the McAfee license if I could use the Vipre license on this system as well. Everything went as expected up to the point where I had to reboot to complete the Vipre installation. After the reboot I have not been able to access the EX490 through Remote Desktop, none of the Shares are accessible and the Web interface is not accessible. I'm basically locked out of the system. I suspected that port 3389 was being blocked by the Firewall as well as a slew of other ports used by WHS. To verify this I installed Vipre on a Windows Server 2003 that I had laying around and sure enough, port 3389 was blocked by the Firewall. Fortunately, this system had a console so I was able to log in locally and unblock port 3389. Now it allows Remote Desktop connections.
However, the solution is not that simple in the case of WHS since Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, didn't want video ports on WHS for whatever reason. After many hours of researching this problem, I discovered this site and more importantly, the post by Charles regarding his video interface cable for the EX49x (viewtopic.php?t=8066). I decided to order this cable from Charles and it arrived yesterday AM. Using the disassembly instructions on this site I started to take my EX490 apart in order to install my brand new [Gen3] HP MediaSmart Server VGA/PS2 Debug Board. Well, I'm kinda old school and learned many years ago that it's not a bad idea to use an anti-static strap whenever you climb into the inerds of anything electronic. Everything went good until I tried to remove the power supply/CPU module assembly. Some how my anti-static strap snagged a component on the CPU module and pulled it right off of the board. At this point my dog ran into the bedroom and hid under the bed because of all the nice words she heard coming from the basement. I'm not sure how this happened but it seems like that component came off the module pretty easily. Almost like it was on it's last leg and about to pop off anyway.

With the help of the very nice folks over at Digi Key, we were able to determine that the component, labeled like this:
sepc
Is actually a Sanyo Aluminum Organic Polymer Radial capacitor 270uf 16V. They didn't have this particular part on hand but recommended a substitute where I promptly ordered 3 of them @ 82 cents a piece. The 3 day shipping added a little over $17 to the order. While I'm waiting for this part I have considered cannibalizing a cap off of an old MLB but all my older CPU modules seem to have 6.3V caps instead of the 16V. Would there be any harm to my system if I made this substitution for a few days? I'm not sure what would happen if the substitute cap blew...

Has anyone ever had a similar situation or am I the only one here being actively stalked by our old friend Murphy - of Murphy's Law fame. Does anyone have a source for these kinds of parts? I'm reluctant to try Radio Shack and I can't think of any stores that might carry this kind of stuff. It would be nice to be able to walk into a local store and buy these types of things in an emergency like this. I mean, I dearly miss my WHS... I live in Taxachusetts so we don't seem to have many electronic parts sellers here.

I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of my replacement part so I can try out the Video interface. I have a Belkin Omni Cube 2 port switch set up on my Desktop PC which will allow me to share my monitor with the EX490. Once I get on the server and fix the Firewall I have a 4GB memory upgrade and a E6600 CPU upgrade ready to install. This should be a screemin little machine when finished.

I'll post a couple of pics of the component later, they are on my other PC which is turned off at this moment. The component in question is labeled on the MLB as "TC3".

Charles,
Thanks for that Gen3 video interface, I can hardly wait to try it out.

/TJ

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:07 am 

Well, for some reason or another, I can't upload images. I have a really slow DSL connection.

I did manage to get the capacitor issue resolved and got the Server up and running. I was not successful in getting the video interface to work with my GEN3 cable assembly. I tried to find some installation instructions that would show me the position of the jumpers but was not successful there either - I'm not having a very good month. I tried installing the jumper that came with the GEN3 into the JP2 location and I left the existing jumper where it was. This did not produce any video on my monitor but the system did boot up and seemed to be working - I could hear the disk heads jumping around and all lights eventually were blue. I powered the system down and took it apart again to move the existing jumper (JP1) to the other position. Instead of putting the system back together again, I thought I would just slide the power supply back in and turn it on without any disks to see if I got any video at all. Again, no video. I removed the power supply and put the JP1 jumper back to its original position and tried it again. Still no video. At this point I tried removing the jumper that came with the Gen3 from JP2 and tried the system again. Still no Video. I removed the 2 port video switch that I was using and connected my monitor directly to the video port and tried it again. Still no video but worse - the power supply would come on for about 1 second and then shut down. I removed everything from the system board that seemed non-essential - basically, anything attached via cable ( LED/USB port, GEN3 video cable, disk riser card. I powered the system on, again the power supply came on and then immediately shut off. I attempted several other things but nothing got me back up and running. Now, the power supply doesn't even come on for that 1 second period when you first turn it on. I'm beginning to suspect that I may have blown the power supply from repeated on off cycles in an attempt to get the video working. In hindsight, I should have connected the monitor directly to the Gen3 instead of the Belkin 2 port switch to get things tested initially. I'm going to remove the power supply and see if I can force it on so I can check the output voltages.
/TJ

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 am 

All power supply voltages looked good with the exception of the 12V on pins 11, 16 and 17. These all came out at 11.71 volts. Is that the expected reading for the 12V outputs? Would that explain why the PS won't turn on when you plug it in or hit the power button?

I noticed that looking inside the power supply from the end where the Molex connector is, you can see two adjustments. Would it be possible to adjust the 12V output back up to 12.00V?

/TJ

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:16 am 

I finally figured out why I couldn't get the video interface to work on my system. Man, what a ride this has been for the past several weeks.

The Gen3 Video Interface assembly that I purchased from Charles was the culprit. It seems that the video cable was plugged in backwards at the adapter module end of the cable. The Gen3 came pre-assembled and tested so I never thought to check to see if the cable was plugged into the Gen3 correctly. I only noticed the problem because looking at the side of the Gen3 you could see a crack in the connecter where the cable had been forced into the connector. I removed the cable and notice that it didn't align with the keys that were build into the male and female connectors. I reinstalled the cable with the keys properly aligned and viola - we got video!

Unfortunately, in the process of trying to diagnose the video problem I wiped out the power supply. I have a new one on order so hopefully by the end of the week my EX490 should be up and running again.

I did manage to build an adapter cable so I could hook up a generic ATX power supply to my system for testing purposes. The memory upgrade and E6600 cpu have been installed and everything seems to work fine.

/TJCyr

Thanks