It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:29 pm 
Founder
Founder

veekay wrote:
but I know the addin to control the lights does nothing on the data vault.

If you mean the Light Show Settings Add-In, that was designed strictly for the original EX47x servers, though I doubt it is labeled as such. You can still access the Easter Egg to change the LED behavior.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:36 pm 

That would explain it - too bad. I use the easter egg, but changing the timings and/or morse code would be nice.
yakuza wrote:
veekay wrote:
but I know the addin to control the lights does nothing on the data vault.

If you mean the Light Show Settings Add-In, that was designed strictly for the original EX47x servers, though I doubt it is labeled as such. You can still access the Easter Egg to change the LED behavior.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:18 pm 

ymboc wrote:
This is how I wired my VGA cable...

Code:
CN2 Pin# --> VGA Pin# (Description)
-----------------------------------
  09     -->   12     (DDC Data)
  11     -->   15     (DDC CLock)
  14     -->   01     (Red)
  16     -->   05     (Ground)
  17     -->   06     (Ground)
  18     -->   02     (Green)
  19     -->   14     (VSync)
  20     -->   07     (Ground)
  21     -->   08     (Ground)
  22     -->   03     (Blue)
  23     -->   13     (HSync)
  24     -->   10     (Ground)
  25     -->   09     (5V)
Hope it helps.

Happy New Year!

Thanks ymboc,

Had to come back and check to make sure I had it right. Just received the parts, about to build the cable tomorrow.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jazzman for this post
kfournier
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:10 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

jazzman wrote:
Just received the parts, about to build the cable tomorrow.

If you won't be using a crimping tool, make sure you have a good wire contact with the pins (I soldered each pin a little bit to make the connection stronger).
The extra time spent for carefully built cable will avoid a lot of headache later.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:10 am 

HappyBison wrote:
jazzman wrote:
Just received the parts, about to build the cable tomorrow.

If you won't be using a crimping tool, make sure you have a good wire contact with the pins (I soldered each pin a little bit to make the connection stronger).
The extra time spent for carefully built cable will avoid a lot of headache later.

Whats funny about all of this is, I used to work in a manufacturing environment. We built circuit boards, cables for military vehicles. Most of the work we did was military based. I built all kinds of prototype cable testers everyday. But, most of us got laid off about 1-1/2 months ago which is cool, I didn't like that job anyway.

But there I was exposed to crimpers and all the really cool tools that you would use to do your job professionally. So now that I had to build my cable, I had to order my parts instead of going to the stockroom and getting my parts there. Instead of using a professional crimper, I had to use needle nosed pliers to crimp each end of the pin and then solder each wire onto the pin without a magnifying glass. What a nightmare this was. I didn't take a picture of what I did, but I used colored ribbon cable and made my cable with that.

So far everything works great, my jumper 13 (i think) is always jumpered. I have installed windows server 2008 on the box, I would like to put exchange, but I know that will slow it down tremendously, I don't know yet. I will still use my QNAP 109 II for doing certain things, but at least I have my server back up and running and it's in a small profile case.

Thanks again to everyone for the help, I know we all appreciate it here.

Oh yea, I like the acer case so much, that eventually I will put in a different motherboard with a faster chip. I will have to tone out the connectors to find which is power, hdd etc so I can connect them. The hdd leds are cool, but its not that important to me right now.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Pin 25 Question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:16 am 

Newbie question. I read all the posts plus other websites. All say that they wired the VGA 5v+ (VGA Pin 9) to PIN 25 on the media server. However, when I look at all the photos of the VGA cable examples, I don't see any wire in the 25th pin hole. What am I missing? Thx.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re: Pin 25 Question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:25 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

kfournier wrote:
Newbie question. I read all the posts plus other websites. All say that they wired the VGA 5v+ (VGA Pin 9) to PIN 25 on the media server. However, when I look at all the photos of the VGA cable examples, I don't see any wire in the 25th pin hole. What am I missing? Thx.

That's optional. I did not use it when I built my cable.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank HappyBison for this post
kfournier
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:20 pm 

Hi!

I've an Acer H340 and want debug the LED stuff so I can write an Linux driver. For this, I need serial access. For access serial, I need an MAX232 between my PC and connector, right? So far I understand, that's not the "pure" signal which I can use directly on my pc, right?

prodigy7

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:40 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

It's a AFAIK it's a TTL signal... you could buy the right chip to convert the signal, scavenge a USB<->TTL cell phone cable (ie: nokia CA-42)... but if you value your time, what I'd really recommend is buying a cable from cakalapati in the marketplace.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:46 am 

I'm sorry I have to ask this question:

Can anybody tell me which parts I have to buy?
Especially the boardconnector...

A digikey-url would be perfect...

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:04 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

From page 3....
ymboc wrote:
Parts List:
  1. 1x XFX Low Profile Kit (I scavenged the VGA connector from this, and later soldered a longer ribbon cable to it)
  2. 1x 26 position 2mm pitch Connector Housing
  3. 15x 2 24-28AWG Crimp Connector Terminal (Fits into the housing)
Product Links
The Connector Housing I got (10)
The Crimp Terminals I got (100)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:09 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Since the minimum order from Digi-Key is 10 or 100, has anyone got any spare connector housings and pins? I need the 26-way housing and pins to build a VGA cable, but also 2 x 16-way housing and pins to make a new cable that connects the front panel (LEDs and USB socket) to the motherboard if anyone has those too?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:08 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

IMGrant wrote:
Since the minimum order from Digi-Key is 10 or 100, has anyone got any spare connector housings and pins? I need the 26-way housing and pins to build a VGA cable, but also 2 x 16-way housing and pins to make a new cable that connects the front panel (LEDs and USB socket) to the motherboard if anyone has those too?

Man, it's too cheap to even bother getting a single piece.
The housing is like $5 for all 10 pieces. And the pins are like $4 for 100 all pieces. With shipping you will have it for like $15 or so.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:15 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

HappyBison wrote:
IMGrant wrote:

Man, it's too cheap to even bother getting a single piece.
The housing is like $5 for all 10 pieces. And the pins are like $4 for 100 all pieces. With shipping you will have it for like $15 or so.

True, I am tight-wad. More importantly then, the housing is out of stock until end of May, which is aaaages away. Plus, shipping at UK Digi-Key is £12 (~$18).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:03 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

IMGrant wrote:
True, I am tight-wad. More importantly then, the housing is out of stock until end of May, which is aaaages away. Plus, shipping at UK Digi-Key is £12 (~$18).

In this case you should specify UK :-)
For the out of stock stuff, you could get a replacement on DigiKey.

If noone will respond, please drop me a PM tomorrow. I'll see if I can find my housing and connectors at home. I'm in US so someone local in UK will do it faster.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next