It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:00 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi everyone!

Yesterday I decided to change my MSS system from English to French. I was living quite comfortably with the English Console, but for my local network clients and for my Webshare visitors a mix of English and French menus and titles was not very elegant. So I acquired the 3 original disks in French and started a factory reset. Now I have a complete French Console, but a somewhat combination of French and English in the Webshare.

Well... What do I know.

The factory reset was a breeze, following LandMaster's tutorial at http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168&highlight=factory+reset. I added some procedures specific to my situation MSS with two 500Gb disks a printer and a UPS:

1- Backed up important files.
2- Removed duplication in the Shares menu of the console.
3- Removed the second disk from the pool so the English system disk would be fully functionnal in case something went wrong during installation. This phase of copying back data from the second disk to the system disk took almost an hour.
4- Shut down MSS and physically removed the two disks and the usb printer and UPS plugs.
5- Inserted the second disk in slot 0, which will become the French system disk, while I kept the English system disk secured.
6- Followed LandMaster's guide to the factory reset.

Everything went well and server is fully functionnal. I'm in the process of copying data back to the server. I will put back my English system disk into the pool only when everything else will have been tested and verified.

Now why do I say that HP software is language specific... in my previous installation (English MSS with French Vista and XP computers), I could not see the HP connector during installation (only images, no text) unless I change my computer's regional options to English. Furthermore, after putting regional parameters back to French, the menu behing HP icon on the desktop would not work. But with the French version of the MSS I could install the connector without changing my regional parameters and have no problems accessing the menus. (I think this only true for the HP part of the software, I assume WHS can be installed on any language computer)

Conclusion (after a long post, sorry for that), the language of the MSS should match the language of the computers it is connected to.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!