It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:07 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

My new HP X510 WHS (identical to 495) developed an problem after 4 weeks usage where I couldn't access the server intermittently.
It would boot fine sometimes, it would work, then after some time it would just be uncontactable, lights all on. Othertimes it would take 3 attempts to get it booted.
I swapped CAT5 cable, switch, PC client, I tried to reinstall the OS but this failed every time and I ended up with a non-working X510.
I took out the system disk, connected it to PC running XP using a USB adapter, ran numerous chkdsk's, no problems were found. Eventually I suspected that the disk drive might be the issue due to it being a 'green' WD EADS20 (2TB) - when I first got the server I swapped the supplied 1TB normal drive with a low-powered bigger one. Possibly not my best upgrade decision.
I rang WD , suggested running their utilities to test the drive (I did this, no problems shown up), upgrade the drive's firmware (it was the latest). I mentioned to them that I read that it can happen that these green drives power down and perhaps they can't be woken up - they accepted this as plausible and they were happy to replace the drive with another (but I'd lose the data!).
I have now removed the 'green' and put back the originally-supplied 1TB, and the server coped with a factory reset first attempt, and has been running smoothly since. Relief that it's since been 100% reliable for 3x24hours.
Now my problem - I cannot access the data on the 2TB drive, despite it appearing to be working perfectly.
I've inserted the 2TB green drive into the X510 as an extra drive, hoping to extract the 800GB of data before RMA'ing the drive. The system disk (1TB) is fine and server working fine. The 2TB disk appears fine, all the directory and file structure is in tact and visible, data from the original 20GB partition can be accessed without a problem, HOWEVER all the data on the DATA partition is NOT available to access. The moment I try to copy the data, I get a "Cannot copy xxxx: This file cannot be accessed by the system." And I cannot obtain this data by plugging in the drive via a USB adapter on another PC - get an error.
I've checked security access on this partition and random folders, all seems fine - accounts have R/W access.
I'm hoping this is just a security issue and can be resolved - if I can get the data off I'll have the disk replaced.
Any suggestions?

Attachments:
File comment: Pic showing 2 disks, 1TB (C: and D:) and 2TB (E: and problem F: partition)
2TB partition issue.jpg
2TB partition issue.jpg [ 147.91 KiB | Viewed 4499 times ]
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:48 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

When the drive is inserted in another PC you will probably have to take ownership of the data partition or folders to copy the data off of it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:30 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

SOLVED!

The original files are in a hidden folder DE\shares !!!!! I hadn't enabled 'View hidden files and folders' and hence never saw this folder.

The Windows Home Server Forums on the Microsoft site had the solution http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/8b39a91b-8a9d-47d9-ae83-3d9427e3bf45

All data is available from this folder.

Thanks for the response Tim - I was convinced it was ownership/security too, the file structure in WHS is more complex than it first appears.

Thanks