It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Antivirus on WHS?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:54 am 

I was looking for a good antivirus, and interestingly google brought up multiple links where people are actually arguing whether an antivirus is needed at all for WHS!

People who say NO, say that unless you are running any programs on the server through a remote access (like a web browser or running any downloaded software directly on the server) then you don't need an antivirus period.

People who say YES, say that the server is running Windows and it is connected to the internet, so it is vulnerable no matter what you do (and they argue that it is just better to be paranoid).

Frankly, I don't know enough about security to tell who is right here. I'm using WHS for storage, don't run any programs on it, but I do have a web-site running on it through SSL protocol. Do I need an antivirus? What do people think here?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Antivirus on WHS?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:11 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

You will find the same discussion in several places here, too. And there is a third option mentioned around here as well: access the shares as a mapped drive to your client PC and have the client scan them over the LAN. Slow but it does work.

I think the general consensus is that AV on a WHS server is a good thing and that Avast! seems to be the package of choice. (Probably MORE consensus that McAfee is to be avoided!)

I always questioned it as I use my MSS "locally" almost entirely. I have a web site enabled and almost never use it. I use the remote access when traveling -- but NO ONE else has access. I NEVER use the web from the MSS. Yet Avast! did manage to find something a while back that had been missed on my clients. It was very minor but it did make a believer out of me. YMMV.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:55 pm 

Definately use an AV program on the server. Here's a recent threadby someone who was convinced it was unnecessary but found out the hard way that viruses can get almost anywhere no matter how careful you are. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7004&start=0&hilit=Virus

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:06 pm 

All right, I installed Avast. Can someone tell me how I can remove McAfee from the list of addons? I uninstalled it, but it still sits in the list of available addons and regularly bugs me by saying that my system is at risk because McAfee is not installed.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:40 pm 

Go to the Software Share and you'll find a folder called Add-INS. Open that folder and delete McAfee from the list.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:08 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I created a sub-folder there called "Uninstalled" and just move any Add-Ins I have uninstalled into there. That way I still have them if necessary.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks