It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:16 pm 

Has anyone played with iTunes 9 yet? It has a new feature called Home Sharing (http://www.apple.com/itunes/whats-new/#home-sharing). I am curious how this may effect an HX475.... :-k

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:39 pm 

Basically the HomeShare allows you to connect up to five computers on one itunes account; you then can see the shared files (much like networked shared before) but now you can create playlists using any of the libraries you are connected with. But you still can't use the DJ, and the MediaServer shared file has no change in functionality (you can play music, but you can't create a playlist or use the DJ function). It would be great if you could configure the MediaSmart itunes the same way - just plug in your itunes store account there and make the server one of the five supported.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:17 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Just don't try and install iTunes v 9.0 on the server... it wont load the upgrade. I have been doing some searching to see if someone has figured out a work around for this issue, so far I have been unsuccessful.

Early to rise early to bed, makes a man healthy... but socially dead.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:48 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ok, after an exhaustive search through forums and news groups I have finally been able to get iTunes vs. 9 to install on my MSS. It took mixing several different posts from several different individuals who have been successful installing iTunes several different ways. I can not take any credit for coming up with these work a rounds, all I did was take their advice and experiment. I also can’t guarantee this will work for you as well. The Apple forums are very lively right now with a lot of Windows server 2003 users screaming at Apple to come out with a fix for the 64x and server users. Currently Apple does have a download for 64x, but it sounds like it is not working. Who knows maybe apple will fix this issue and come out with an update, but until they do, I have the scoop for those that can’t wait.

Here is the problem I ran into. I was running iTunes 8.2 on my HP EX485 and decided I wanted to upgrade to iTunes vs. 9. I had already upgraded my other computers with 9 and I really liked the home share feature. It has the potential to work really well with MSS, especially if you use it as an iTunes server. I clicked upgrade in iTunes and the download began, once everything was completed it started to install and almost immediately crashed. The usual error message stated “Apple Mobile Device Support requires XP sp2 to be installed” or something like that. The installation process will then cease. I then tried to manually download the update and do a manual install of just iTunes.msi, same thing happened. So I gave up and started crawling through the internet to find a hack solution. Here is what worked for me; again I can not guarantee it will work for everyone, I tried so many different things before I did this that I am not sure that this was the “only” process that made it work.

1. Open iTunes and select check for updates then select download iTunes vs. 9 update. When the “Apple Software Update” window opens select the tools tab select “open downloaded updates folder”, usually found here (C:\Documents and Settings\”your user name”\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple\Apple Software Update), that way you can see the updates that iTunes downloads to your computer. Go back to the tools tab on the Apple Software update window and then select “Download only”, (I deselected the Safari and iPhone configuration utility). Note, I never sync my iPhone or iPods using the MSS so I don’t know if syncing works after doing this update. I have read that a lot of people have run into sync issues after doing this so keep that in mind if any of you use your MSS to sync your Apple devices.
2. This next step requires the software program Orca to open the Apple .msi files. I have it installed on my local pc so I actually copied the files from MSS to my local machine, made the edits and moved the files back to the update folder on my MSS.
3. Using Orca modify the “AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi” file: delete the “Launch Condition's” table and, in the “InstallUISequence's” table, delete the “LaunchCondition's” row. Overwrite and save the file.
4. Next modify with Orca the “iTunes.msi” file: delete “LaunchCondition's” table and, in the “InstallUISequence”, delete the “LaunchCondition's” row. Finally (and here’s the real trick) delete “ServiceControl” and “ServiceInstall” tables. Overwrite and save the file.
5. Before you begin to install, copy the iPod bin folder, usually located here (C:\Program Files\iPod\bin) and place it on your desktop. The person who recommended this said to copy the bin folder before you install, I did it during the installation process described below. I am not sure if both ways work or not.
6. Once the files are back in place on the MSS, run and install the MSI files in this order.
- AppleApplicationSupport.msi
- AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi
- iTunes64.msi
You may need to install “Quicktime.msi” if “iTunes.msi” doesn’t run it. I didn’t have to but who is to say that it didn’t get installed before I did this procedure. As a precaution you might want to run it before any of the files listed above.
7. Finally, iTunes will begin to install, once it is almost completed and begins to do its initial start an error message will appear… or at least in my case it did. The error goes something like “(ipodservice.exe could not start), then it will ask you to either retry, or cancel. If you cancel the install will completely reverse and put everything back to the way it was… in theory. While the error message awaits your decision, copy the bin folder from your desktop back into its proper location (C:\Program Files\iPod\bin) and click retry. Like I mentioned above, I did this backwards… not on purpose. Once I got the initial ipodservice.exe error message, I went and copied the bin folder to my desktop, clicked retry, the service failed again, so I put the bin file on my desktop back into the iPod folder and then clicked retry again and it worked??? Go figure.
8. iTunes should then start up. Again, I can not guarantee this will work, I have read horror stories where people can not restore iTunes back to 8.2 so use at your own risk and make a copy of your iTunes folders.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Mezo for this post
skerik
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:57 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I dont really understand why you are running itunes on your WHS's anyways???

itunes server service is more then enough. no need for full on itunes.
:encore:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:13 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I use a full on iTunes so that I can broadcast the music to airport expresses around the house. The expresses connect to external speakers... not to mention I use my iPhone to control the library and volume control. This can not be done with iTunes server service unfortunately. Believe it or not, I don't like Apple even though my setup proves otherwise.
:ms:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:44 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

bostoneric wrote:
I dont really understand why you are running itunes on your WHS's anyways???

itunes server service is more then enough. no need for full on itunes.
:encore:

Unless you want Video...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:33 am 

Please can you confirm that you have itunes 9 working with airport express and the iphone remote app.

I almost went for the HP server as a solution to listening to music when my laptop wasn't in use. I realised that you have to use itunes as an interface to play the stored music.

If so then I will look into it, so long as it isn't too tricky.

Is there any way of controlling the itunes stored on the server normally without the hack mentioned? So i could run the music through my hifi without my laptop, controlled by my iphone?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:55 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi ajmortimer,

I have in fact got everything running again, i.e. airtunes, iphone remote connect, etc. I have not made the switch back to iTunes 9, however... still running 8.2. It took so much time to get everything working back to the way it was, so I want to wait and watch the Apple boards to make sure that 9.0.1 does in fact fix EVERYTHING! On a side note, I don't know if WHS will ever be added to Apples operating system list, so you might never be able to cleanly install vs. 9. Here's the deal; Microsoft recommends that iTunes not be installed on WHS because the platform is designed to run services, not 3rd party apps. or so they say. So if that is their stance, most likely Apple will never create a bundled iTunes install for the server platforms. In the past iTunes would install on WHS with one minor error which did not stop the entire installation. Now iTunes 9 comes with more individual programs that install with iTunes, i.e. QuickTime, mobile device monitor, etc. These other pieces of software are, for the most part, required to run iTunes 9. So when you run the iTunes installation process all of these attached programs check to see what operating system platform is being used; if it does not recognize the os, iTunes fails and uninstalls. Because the installation of iTunes 9 has gotten more elaborate with there monitoring device services that install with iTunes, the small hack listed above was needed. Currently Apple only has iTunes for XP, Vista and supposedly 7 is also included, not to mention they also have a version of iTunes for 64x operating systems as well. I think there is a very small percentage of us that run a full version of iTunes on the Media Smart Server so I don't see apple fixing this install issue in the near future. The server works great running iTunes 8.2, and there are no issues with airtunes, remote connection, etc. So if you don't mind running an older version of iTunes, the Media server works great running iTunes. If you are insistent on running vs.9, the hack will probably always be needed, and I can not confirm that it will work even with its latest bug fix... yet.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Mezo for this post
ajmortimer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:45 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Mezo,

First, thanks a bunch for consolidating and posting the instructions to do this. I'd been trying to do an upgrade to iTunes for a while and this should help.

One question, though - I noticed you list the 64 bit iTunes and AppleMobileDeviceSupport installer versions. When I did the download on my MSS, I did not get those. (I did get the 64 bit versions when doing the download on my Vista 64 system, however. So I do have both available.) Can you confirm which version of iTunes, 32 or 64 bit, should be used? Or does it seem to matter?

[Edit: I see in your followup post that you mentioned 64 bit versions being available, but WHS is 32 bit, right? So I'm a little more uncertain about that mention of the 64 bit versions in the instructions.]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:55 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

That was a typo from when I copied the name from an iTunes installer open on my pc running vista 64, the version you want from Apple is 32. It should read iTunes.msi and mobileservicedevice.msi not 64. WHS is 32, to answer your question. By the way, check out this post from dbone 1026, very interesting…. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5499

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:07 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Here is a nice link to how to install itunes 9 with photos.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/09/11/help-key-install-itunes-9-on-windows-home-server/

I followed the instructions in the link. There are a bunch of error messages here and there but in the end it does work. I wonder if turning off some of the services under msconfig that relate to itunes and the errors will stop the error messages from showing. I'll have to play around with it.

There are some differences between the instructions in this thread and the crunchgear instructions. Specificially:

For this: Edit AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi; the crunchgear instructions have you change the number in the launch conditions table, the instructions here have you delete the “Launch Condition's” table and, in the “InstallUISequence's” table, delete the “LaunchCondition's” row.

For this: Edit iTunes.msi; the crunchgear instructions have you delete the entries in the service control table, the instructions here have you delete “LaunchCondition's” table and, in the “InstallUISequence”, delete the “LaunchCondition's” row. Finally (and here’s the real trick) delete “ServiceControl” and “ServiceInstall” tables.

Finally after the above editing the crunchgear article has you double click on the itunes.msi to install it. The instructions here say to: copy the iPod bin folder, usually located here (C:\Program Files\iPod\bin) and place it on your desktop and then install the MSI files in this order.
- AppleApplicationSupport.msi
- AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi
- iTunes.msi

Does anyone know if the differences have to do with different versions of itunes being installed.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank nippyjun for this post
Teknmage
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:14 pm 

I'm trying to evaluate how to approach my home configuration of iTunes. Does anyone know if Apple has updated the installation files to eliminate the need for any hacks? I read somewhere else that they'd received a lot of requests to resolve installation issues regarding servers.

I'd like to keep things as simple as possible. I'm going to use Simplify Media to connect remotely, so my only concern is true home server functionality. I want to consolidate all media files on my MSS (HP EX495). If iTunes 9 would run well on the MSS, I'd prefer to do that so long as it's easy to sync my iPod.

Please point me to another topic if something else addresses already my questions. I searched, but didn't see that much in the way of newer postings on these issues. Thank you in advance for any help.

Kind regards,

Jason Havens
Destin, FL

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:36 pm 

Welcome to the forums. So far, I have not seen anything to indicate that Apple has modified iTunes 9 to solve the issues with installing on Windows Server 2003 but it's possible I missed something as I do not run iTunes on the server. Rather I run it on each client PC and then have all music and libraries on the server and point each client PC at the libraries on the server.

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Texas-Hansen for this post
jasonhavens
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:50 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

See my post about iTunes :
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6489&sid=f983721c3f2693911a96eb9b5f7c5c24

Thanks