Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:03 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

JimP wrote:
jmpage2 wrote:
1. yes, eBay.
2. eBay.
3. Unfortunately you cannot simply take the pool drives and move them from one machine to the other.

The best option for moving your data would be to do a drive removal on one of the existing 2TB drives (assuming you are using folder duplication) and then install it in the new machine, then copy all of the data over, then move the other drive. To do this you would turn off folder duplication on all folders and stop all services on the MSS related to media (Twonky, etc).

There are procedures for doing a "recovery" with the pool drives in place of a machine, which would require you to reimage the OS drive on the new Mediasmart, you could go that route if you had to (such as not having enough space to temporarily remove a drive).

Looking through eBay, there seems to be a glut of EX485's... to the extent I am not sure that I could get a good selling price. Still... I have done well in the past so I am not scared off by any means. I think that I would probably wait until early next year when the 495's start to be discounted.

My 485 has dual 2TB drives, fully duplicated... and they are far from being full. I also have an unopened 2TB drive that is planned for copies of the backup sets.

/Jim

Jim,

Under the circumstances then, the best way for you to migrate your data is simply to copy it over from one MSS to the other. You can even just add one of the drives from the old MSS to the new one as a non pool drive and choose the option to not erase the files.

Then just copy over the files manually onto the new MSS.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jmpage2 for this post
JimP

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:19 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

jmpage2 wrote:
Jim,

Under the circumstances then, the best way for you to migrate your data is simply to copy it over from one MSS to the other. You can even just add one of the drives from the old MSS to the new one as a non pool drive and choose the option to not erase the files.

Then just copy over the files manually onto the new MSS.

Thanks,

I think that I will wait to see what the 3.0 software looks like in December/January. If the resale market looks OK for the EX485... I might upgrade.

/Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:11 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

jmpage2,

I have decided to follow your advice and get an EX495. Rather than sell my EX485 on Ebay, I think I am simply going to remove the three 2TB drives, and give the EX485 to my daughter who lives away from home. I will feel better if her digital life is backed up... and since she is only backing up 1 laptop, I think that the 750GB system drive will be sufficient for her. I actually have some 500GB drives laying around that I might install so that she has a duplicated area for her media.

Now it is time to find the best deal I can on the EX495. It is $629 from HP with my Intel modest EPP discount. If anyone knows of a good deal... I would appreciate it!

/Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:58 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

JimP wrote:
jmpage2,

I have decided to follow your advice and get an EX495. Rather than sell my EX485 on Ebay, I think I am simply going to remove the three 2TB drives, and give the EX485 to my daughter who lives away from home. I will feel better if her digital life is backed up... and since she is only backing up 1 laptop, I think that the 750GB system drive will be sufficient for her. I actually have some 500GB drives laying around that I might install so that she has a duplicated area for her media.

Now it is time to find the best deal I can on the EX495. It is $629 from HP with my Intel modest EPP discount. If anyone knows of a good deal... I would appreciate it!

/Jim

$569 Black Friday special at Newegg.com

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/No ... -_-NA-_-NA

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jmpage2 for this post
JimP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:31 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

jmpage2 wrote:
\

This is showing up as $629 for me. Does it only take affect on the 27th? I have 1.5 hours to go if that is the case.

/Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:08 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

jmpage2 wrote:
\

It worked after midnight. ;) Thanks. My EX495 decision is complete!

/Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:03 pm 

Has anyone had luck in getting Media Collector to work on a Mac. I just got a EX490. Have HSS ver 3.0.0b80. Snow Leopard. Console page says incompatible on the Media Collector page?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:03 pm 

If you haven't gotten this to work yet... perhaps you've updated the server software to the latest version, but not the client software that's on your mac? The client should be at Version: 3.0.1b93.

I just purchased an EX490 last week and am having trouble too. I did get the media collector to work on my Snow Leopard iMac...once. But it's stuck now and hasn't run in several days with over 2500 files still pending. Also on my mac, the hpMSSAgent.app starts running and then stops responding and just sits on my dock. I have to force quit it to reboot the mac. I've tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling from the server, but it just does the same thing.

When I first set everything up and I couldn't get the collector to work, I did some research and someone said something about disabling the stealth mode in the firewall settings. So I did that, and that's what got the media collector to work the first time (I think). But like I said...now it's not working again and that app is hanging up.

Not sure what else to do...

BTW... everything else works fine. Even Time Machine. All my pc's are working with it well too with Windows 7.

Thanks!

Rachael

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:20 am 

Any fix for this ? I am running the latest software on my macs and EX490 but HP Media Collector still doesnt work.

If I reinstall, it works until i restart my macbook :(

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:23 pm 

Quote:
Also on my mac, the hpMSSAgent.app starts running and then stops responding and just sits on my dock. I have to force quit it to reboot the mac.

Same problem. is there a solution for this? I'm using snow leopard 10.6.3

thanks.

hal

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:53 pm 

I've also been having this problem for some time and haven't yet found a solution

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:49 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

My EX495 says that it has collected 3152 files and 18326 are pending from my MacBook Pro running 10.6.3. It has collected nothing from my Mac Pro running 10.5.8.

I'm wondering if it's a configurational issue and not a Mac OSX issue.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:09 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

So far, ive yet to make media collector work fine. It goes and grabs random iMovie transitions and such but won't look in other drives and I have a G5 10.5.8. My new and recommended method, open finder, click on your MMS and connect via the username you set and just move your files in manually and from here on, just have your file exports set to your server.

If you would like your server to connect when you turn on Mac, go to system preference, User Account and then login items and add the server or specific folders to connect when you turn on your computer.

Blu-ray: 297

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:33 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

My media collector is disconnected most of the time. It moved a few of the files over, but not all of them. Not even close. It showed the agent as being disconnected. I then used finder to open a SMB session with the server and the agent connected and continued to complete my media sync.

This is a new iMac running 10.6.4

Thanks