It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:13 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

T-Bone, on iTunes 9 someone collected instructions and posted in this thread for how to rip it apart and modify so that it can be installed on the MSS. I haven't tried it yet, though.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:18 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I saw that but soon after he posted this:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5314

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:19 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

My Apple TV upgraded a couple of days ago to v2.4 of the software. I haven't really looked around for info about what this upgrade does, but it does make a big change to the look of the interface. I also lost the "Shared" entry for Music. (I'm assuming that if I had any photos or video in iTunes on the MSS, that it would have lost the shared entries for those too.)

As it turns out, resolving this was fairly easy. I went to Settings -> Computers and noticed that the entry for my MSS shared library was greyed out. So I disconnected it and then re-added it, and now everything is back in order. Whew. :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:02 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Back again, after the latest Apple TV update, now to 3.0

Using my ipod Touch with the Remote app, I was previously able to control the Apple TV streaming from iTunes 8 on the MSS. Now, I can't seem to find shared music from the Remote app. I did some searching around and found a reference to setting Remote to control iTunes itself on the server (going into iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced, and checking "look for remote speakers with airtunes"), and turning on Air Tunes in the Apple TV. After doing that I see an extra option in Remote under Settings, for speakers - turned "on" the Apple TV. Using that, it does at least see the shared music but when I try to actually play nothing happens, and then I get "an unknown error occurred".

Any ideas? I wonder if this might be something like the Apple TV 3.0 needs to have iTunes 9.0.x to work properly? (As we know, that might be possible to install on the MSS, but might be problematic too, so I've held off on trying.)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:24 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The remote app was just updated to the 1.3.3. It say there arebug fixes and support for iTunes 9 an atv 3. Hope this helps

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:10 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I updated the Remote app last night, and it made no difference. I posted about this on the MacRumors forum too, and someone there opined that Remote/Apple TV v3.x don't like iTunes 8. Well, Apple TV 3.01 certainly has no problem with iTunes 8.2 and streaming. Since Remote is controlling the Apple TV and not iTunes, I'm not sure that the version of iTunes on the MSS should matter. I may go ahead and try to install iTunes 9, but it just doesn't look to me like that is clearly the problem.

Is anyone else successfully controlling an Apple TV v3.x streaming from the MSS, using the Remote app? I know some other folks have been doing this prior to v3.0 of the Apple TV OS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:49 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Update: I upgrade iTunes on the MSS to 9.0.2. I still can't see any way to use Remote on the iPod Touch to control the Apple TV streaming content.

Apple is really burning my britches right now... :evil:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:55 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

skerik wrote:
Update: I upgrade iTunes on the MSS to 9.0.2. I still can't see any way to use Remote on the iPod Touch to control the Apple TV streaming content.

Hmmmm... It's been working fine for me. I have iTunes 9.0.2, AppleTV 3.0 and the most current Remote software on my 64GB iPod touch... I'm streaming all of my video-so I'm sure I'd notice if the streaming wasn't working :) Have you tried a factory reset of the AppleTV? That would be the first thing I'd try. (you'll probably have to download & reinstall the 3.0 software again...) Check to make sure your touch remote is current using the app store. After the Apple reset, re-pair your touch. I'd be surprised if you were still having issues after you took those steps... let us know!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:11 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

hestaman wrote:
skerik wrote:

Hmmmm... It's been working fine for me. I have iTunes 9.0.2, AppleTV 3.0 and the most current Remote software on my 64GB iPod touch... I'm streaming all of my video-so I'm sure I'd notice if the streaming wasn't working :) Have you tried a factory reset of the AppleTV? That would be the first thing I'd try. (you'll probably have to download & reinstall the 3.0 software again...) Check to make sure your touch remote is current using the app store. After the Apple reset, re-pair your touch. I'd be surprised if you were still having issues after you took those steps... let us know!

hestaman, thanks for confirming that it's working for you. Just a question to confirm things - where do you go in Remote on the Touch to control the streaming content? (Just making sure that I'm not missing it somewhere.)

So anyway, I did do all of the above, actually. The ATV after a factory reset was at 2.0. Interestingly, I could actually connect to and control the iTunes library on the MSS directly from the Touch, and use the ATV 2.0 as an AirTunes speaker. Of course, ATV 2.0 doesn't even "see" the Touch as a Remote so couldn't even test that. However, after re-upgrading to 3.0.1 that capability is also not working. I had upgraded Remote on the Touch, too. Note that I tried this before upgrading iTunes to 9.2, and I haven't done another factory reset of the ATV since then. (Been out of town for several days.)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:50 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I just read all 99 posts to this thread... but the one thought that keeps recurring is:

Wouldn't it just be easier (and better) to run iTunes on a single desktop (ex: iMac) rather than all of the synchronization scripts etc that are necessary but running iTunes on the MSS?

I am asking the above seriously. What does running iTunes on the MSS really buy you?

Some of my considerations:

1 - I want my irreplaceable media to be on a computer that is well backed up. My client is automatically backed up twice... once to the cloud (using Mozy).. and a 2nd time to the MSS. Both are critical... and Amazon S3 (in the MSS) is way too expensive to be considered.
2 - Isn't the Apple TV designed to sync with a home computer?
3 - Isn't the tools set for client computers better suited for media conversion?
4 - Certainly the performance of a client computer is higher than the MSS
5 - The MSS (or other solutions) could give the client nearly limitless storage
6 - My client PC is going to be turned on 24/7 anyway.

I am just trying to figure out what I am missing. In my case... I am migrating from PCs to Apples almost across the board. We already all have iPhones. My wife and I have switched to Mac laptops (MBP/MBA)... and we are about to retire our single PC desktop in favor of a 27" i7 iMac.

Right now, we use TiVOs for our media content... but an Apple TV might be in our future. Does it really make sense to attach it to a MSS running iTunes rather than our iMac?

/Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:53 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

JimP, that's a really good question and you've clearly thought about it a bunch and raise several good points. Obviously, situations will vary a bit from person to person and how they like to run things, but I suspect the main thing for many is that the MSS is already there, and on, all the time. If you have a PC/Mac that is always on anyway, that is less of a reason to run iTunes on the MSS. One other factor for me is that I intend to migrate over to lossless rips of a large CD collection so it will likely approach 500+ GBs of data.

Of course, as you can see there are issues with running iTunes on WHS with the MSS, and I've definitely been having some difficulty that appears to be related to that so I might try your suggestion and see if it resolves my own dilemma of streaming to the Apple TV not being controlled by my iPod Touch.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:47 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

skerik wrote:
One other factor for me is that I intend to migrate over to lossless rips of a large CD collection so it will likely approach 500+ GBs of data.

Certainly you can keep the iTunes music files on the MSS... but keep the actual iTunes (including the XML library file) on the client. In that case the actual music would not be backed up.

Option 2 is to just get a large HDD for your client. 2TB drives are pretty inexpensive right now. I just bought a couple at $140 each. My new iMac came from Apple pre-configured with a 2TB internal drive.

/Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:49 am 

ATV and MSS Novice. Using the post I successfully got itunes 9 running on my MSS. I can stream movies, music and photos to my ATV. I have one issue: I can't get iTunes on my MSS to connect to the iTunes store to log in. I don't intend to buy anything but I need to log in to enable the homeshare feature in iTunes 9. I turned all my firewalls off (temporarily) but this didn't solve the connectivity issue.

I can get to some websites using IE on the MSS but others just time out. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Craig

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:11 pm 

The "no audio device" error message is cured by installing the "Virtual Audio Cable" as described in this post :

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9350

Worked a treat for me.

Just need to borrow an Apple TV off a friend to check it works, but so far got a library of 25000 songs loading up nicely, visible on the iPhone Remote app, and looking dandy.

Oh, and I'll be needing to load up all those DVDs as well.

Personally not keen on pointing my PC iTunes library strainght at the server, so my approach is to maintain two libraries (for music) and use the "GoodSync" tool periodically to write back my changes. The .BAT file above should then sort the iTunes library on the server. Because I do it this way I am only going to run the .BAT files once a day, while I'm in bed....

Thanks for this post. Really useful stuff.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:14 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I have had the same question or similar issue for a long time. My situation is this. I have two ATV 3gs, EX490 running WHS v1 and I use a Mac Mini running El Capitan. My iTunes library sits on an external hard drive. I do most of the work on the Mac Mini.

Currently, I am using EX490 as storage but I would like to centralize the iTunes Library and put it on the server. I would like the server to hold the master library and the Mac Mini uses a copy or I use a shared drive to access the master library. I would like to use the server to stream movies to ATVs. I don't want to experience any delays or buffering issues.

One minor problem is the iTunes library has been made using the newer version of iTunes. On older equipment, you can't install newer versions of iTunes. So how do you overcome this little problem?

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7