It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:48 am 
Founder
Founder

Remote Notification forwards the WHS Health Notifications, not anything from Event Viewer.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
nucleardirk

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:01 am 

yakuza wrote:
Remote Notification forwards the WHS Health Notifications, not anything from Event Viewer.

OK, I see!
But I have had some of such Health Notifications as well - I remember one morning when a problem with a drive appears and the icon was "red".

or must this situation be there for a decent time before a warning-email will be sent?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:14 am 
Founder
Founder

nucleardirk wrote:
or must this situation be there for a decent time before a warning-email will be sent?

There is a 60 second window that a health notification must be active before Remote Notification sends email. You can view the server Application Event Viewer and see Remote Notification reporting that it received a WHS notification (ADD) and then clears it (Remove). If these two events occur in less than 60 seconds you will get no email.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
nucleardirk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:03 pm 

Works perfectly...no idea why I have had trouble before!

THX for the nice addin and for your help!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:20 pm 

I love the Remote Notification. I have it going to my phone. I was wondering when you are going to come out with an updated add-in. I was also wondering if their is a way to shorten the length of time before notification. I was wondering if you next version will alert you to more things.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:55 am 
Founder
Founder

joshualist wrote:
I love the Remote Notification. I have it going to my phone. I was wondering when you are going to come out with an updated add-in. I was also wondering if their is a way to shorten the length of time before notification. I was wondering if you next version will alert you to more things.

Thanks for the feedback, I do have ideas for an updated version but am soliciting input on what you'd like to see. Please share your list of wanted features, as detailed as possible.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:04 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Just tried Remote Notification email with yahoo and it works, smtp port 25

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:00 pm 

Alex,

Installed it and did the test notification the the console closes on me?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:00 am 
Founder
Founder

Interesting, check the HomeServerConsole log on the server for an exception, and also (probably in PM) share a screenshot of your settings, please.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:55 pm 

I'm also having the same problem with this "remote notification" add-in... when I go to the console settings and then remote notifcation and click on "test", my console freezes and then disconnects. One time, it was frozen everytime I logged on to the console and I had to physically reset the server. The other times, it just stays frozen until I close the console and log back in... at which point I get an error message. In both cases, I've never received a notification to the email or to the 10-digit cell phone number I gave it. Finally, I uninstalled it because I wasn't able to use it and installed "remote alert" instead. If you can tell me where the HomeServerConsole log on the server is and what PM means, I can take a screenshot and/or send you the information that's there. In the meantime, attached is an error message that I get (after I reinstalled the add-in) after I restart the frozen console... which, again, freezes when I click on ""test". I used this website (http://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/ ... n-add-in-1) for the email settings.

Attachments:
File comment: Here is a screen shot of the error I get once the console freezes, is closed and restarted.
RemoteNotificationErrorAfterConsoleFrozen&Restarted.JPG
RemoteNotificationErrorAfterConsoleFrozen&Restarted.JPG [ 19.14 KiB | Viewed 30590 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:00 pm 
Founder
Founder

It's not clear from that link what settings you used, and all indications are that you are not using the correct settings for Gmail (uses port 587 not 465, for example). If you want to take a screenshot of your settings send it via Private Message (PM) on this forum I'd be happy to take a look.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:25 pm 

yakuza wrote:
It's not clear from that link what settings you used, and all indications are that you are not using the correct settings for Gmail (uses port 587 not 465, for example). If you want to take a screenshot of your settings send it via Private Message (PM) on this forum I'd be happy to take a look.

I used port 465 since according to gmail (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=13287) that is what should be used for SMTP. Attached is a screen shot of my settings, I didn't put in my actual details due to privacy concerns. I'll try port 587 which you mentioned is what should be used for gmail and will let you know.

Attachments:
remotenotificationsettings.JPG
remotenotificationsettings.JPG [ 61.54 KiB | Viewed 30576 times ]

Last edited by firstlast on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:28 pm 
Founder
Founder

Port 587 has worked for me for 2 years with Gmail, I never got 465 to work. Definitely try that. Also make sure you're using your full username@gmail.com for the Sender Email.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:56 pm 

yakuza wrote:
Port 587 has worked for me for 2 years with Gmail, I never got 465 to work. Definitely try that. Also make sure you're using your full username@gmail.com for the Sender Email.

I changed the port to 587 and the test worked, however, in your whs port forward there is port 9999 with no description and created by "Unknown", which wasn't there just yesterday before I installed your whs port forward. I tried to delete it but it won't let me because it wasn't created by your whs port forward. I did create one for port 587, this is why I saw port 9999... any idea what it is from or why it's there or, more importantly, how to delete it?

I can login to my router but there are no ports open under persisten port forwarding.

Last edited by firstlast on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:25 pm 
Founder
Founder

You likely have our WHS Fireplay Add-In installed, this opens port 9999.

Also, Port Forwarding is to allow incoming access from the internet to your server. You don't want to enable that for port 587, there is no need as your emails are outgoing to gmail's port 587.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next