It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:05 am 

I'm new to the community (and to using the MSS) and in process of setting up my home media. Have the MSS connected to my network, began using DVDFab (but haven't ripped many DVD's yet), looking for the best options to connect the MSS to my home theater (which is not setup yet). I was reading about HP Smart Connect, but then saw a post that it didn't recognize formats from DVDFab. Where can I start?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:37 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

rfagan, welcome to the forums! You have many options. Here is a thread to review:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5055

These folks are reporting out what they use. I use the simple end for this: PS3 connected to my wireless and Twonky to stream. I also use an AppleTV for all that iTunes-DRM'd stuff. Others here swear by Popcorn Hours.

Also look at this forum area:

viewforum.php?f=13

dbone1026 is also a prolific poster and moderator for this area; I would look at his blog posts as well to get you started.

Happy researching!

Jim

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:41 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Get a POPCORN HOUR...you will be very happy. I have had them all.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:52 am 

Haha Jim, I guess I have to post now :mrgreen:

@ rfagan - what are you looking to do, mainly the ability to play back your dvd collection (standard dvds or do you hope to incorporate Blu Ray?)?

There are many options (which is probably what makes it all confusing). Some of the popular media players that members here use are the Popcorn Hour, SageTVHD200 or a game console (Xbox360/PS3) and all have their pros and cons. Since you mentioned you wanted to play back ripped dvds in native format (DVDFab would rip to Video_TS) you can ignore PS3/Xbox360 (for simplicity purposes, there are ways to get Video_TS to work on these devices but it is not built in natively). The popcorn hour A-110 is a great little device, plays almost any format you can throw at it, can downmix HD Audio is well as bitstream. They have a great community of users and a lot of flexability with plugins (alternative UIs such as YAMJ, etc...). My biggest complaint about the A-110 is the blah stock UI, to really get the wow look you need to look at an alternative UI. It also a little more on the techie gadget side then something like the AppleTV. Also, this device is really focused on Videos, don't expect much from Music/Photos. The SageTV HD200 is another solid device, similar to the A-110. SageTV also integrates with WHS so it makes for a great whole house solution. To get the most out of it you need to also purchase SageTV Media Center software. My biggest complaints are no HD Audio downmix and a somewhat involved process when setting up with SageTV Media Center software.

There are a ton of other devices out there as well (Xtreamer, WD TV, Myka which I am currently testing, etc...).

The other option would be to go with an HTPC. My frustration with some of these dedicated media players led me to build two htpcs which I use as the primary players in my house. The new Ion platforms gets you a pc in a small form factor and complete control over the experience at a great price (around $300-400). Several members have gone ahead with these builds and to be honest if I had to do it all over again and pick up a media player for my entertainment room I would go back to an HTPC.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank dbone1026 for this post
rfagan
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:38 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

rfagan, the last post is why I pointed you towards Damian's posts!

Thanks, Damian.

1 2.0TB Barracuda® XT 7200 rpm drive
2 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda® XT SATA 7200 rpm drives
1 0.5TB stock drive shipped with MSS
Running HP 3.0 updated software

Thanks