It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:56 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

My apologies if I missed this in one of the articles but I'm really curious about the sleep mode on the newer units, especially the EX495. Is it the same as the older units? i.e. set the unit to sleep at certain times or can it put itself to sleep after a certain period of inactivity and then wake up when called on?

Thanks

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:13 pm 
Founder
Founder

Yes, the Sleep Mode appears to be identical to the feature in the EX48x servers.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:54 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Define identical, please. I've noticed some very odd behavior with my EX495 with regards to the Sleep program. I have my server set to go to sleep at 11:00 p.m. and to wake up at 5:00 a.m. I usually hit the rack about 10:00 p.m., so I assume it goes to sleep. I wake up at 5:00 a.m. and when I check on the MSS it is on. However, the MSS seems to have some sort of amnesia when it comes to. None of the PCs can connect to it nor can you RDP into it - it is almost as though it forgets who it is. Oddly enough you can ping it via the static IP address. A power button cycle will restart it and all is well afterwards. Now after this morning's power cycle, I tried manually putting it to sleep and that worked fine. Then I sent a "Wake Server' command from a PC and it came right back. Not sure what to make of it. :?

I sure like to hear what others experience. Maybe I am missing something, but the feature seems buggy on my machine. For now, I am disabling the sleep cycle until someone else can either confirm what I am seeing or tell me what I can do to correct the problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:44 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Okay... Not sure what to make of this, but in the previous post I mentioned some odd wake-up-from-sleep behavior that my EX495 was experiencing. So I conducted a little test. As I left the house today, I manually put the server to sleep. I was out of the house for about 9 hours, walked in and woke the server up from the console. Everything worked like a charm. So I reset the sleep time to 7 pm and as advertised it shut itself off on time. I had set the wake time to 7:30 pm. Once again, it woke up just fine. So... I'm going to put it to sleep tonight at 10:00 p.m. and see if it can wake itself with no problems at 5:00 am tomorrow. Not sure what was up with the past two unattended wake-ups. Anyone have any ideas? :-k

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:09 pm 
Founder
Founder

Did you modify the maintenance window? Otherwise I believe it will wake itself at midnight to back up the clients and download updates, then go to sleep again when it has completed those activities.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:13 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

If you mean back-up window, yes - the back-up window is 5:30 a.m. -8:00 a.m.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:25 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Amnesia seems to be gone this morning. MSS woke up on schedule and back-ups were completed within an hour. Life is good!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:28 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

After nearly a week and a half, my server's 'wake-up amnesia' was back again this morning. Anyone else using the sleep feature seeing this??

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:27 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

TechVet wrote:
After nearly a week and a half, my server's 'wake-up amnesia' was back again this morning. Anyone else using the sleep feature seeing this??

Ive only had mine for 2 days. I will keep an eye out for it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:53 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I've had some time to explore this issue some more on my new EX495 and I think I found the problem. I'm pretty sure it is NOT a MSS issue and instead is operator/administrator error. When I set up my home network, I used my router's DHCP addressing feature to automatically assign IPs to each device's MAC address, including the MSS. In teh case of the MSS only, I also hard-coded the same assigned IP address into the network settings. By looking closely at the event logs, I saw that when awakening from Sleep Mode, the network adapter was coming on-line, then going off-line immediately. I started wondering if the dual efforts to get the IP assigned were playing off each other. So, I deactivated the router's IP automatic assignment for the MSS and I am happy to report that I haven't had a problem since. I have always used this belt and suspenders approach to IP assignment with my prior MSS, but since my EX475 did not have a Sleep mode, it never cropped up as an issue. I'll continue to monitor, but for now I consider this problem shelved. I've edited the Bug post accordingly.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:32 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Well, I thought I had this fixed, but I'm still having problems with the MSS remembering who it is after waking from sleep. The IP is ping-able, but RDP and Console won't connect. Note that this problem is very intermittent - yesterday the MSS woke up and did fine, while today it woke and forgot who it was.) I don't know how many folks use the Sleep Function and it is not a deal breaker for me if it does not work. Has anyone routinely used the Sleep Function for a week or more on one of these 3rd gen machines and NOT had any problems?

Addendum: If I manually put the MSS into Sleep mode, I also cannot wake it from sleep. I get an error that says something like"Wake on LAN Operation Failed." I am using a Linksys RV042 Router with a SWR224P Managed Switch. However, since I get errors when the MSS tries to wake itself up as well as when you try to manually wake it from sleep, I'm leaning toward this being a machine issue (hardware or software.) I tried updating the NIC driver (which is way out of date) and the problem persists..

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:02 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

How does one setup the sleep modes please? Sorry to be such a doof, looking for either an add-on or general setting to put this puppy out at night and wake it up in the AM.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:03 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Open the Console and click on the settings icon over in the upper right corner. Go to the MediaSmart Server Tab along the left hand column and it should be the first screen that pops up from there (Power Tab across the top).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:56 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I don't seem to have a media smart server tab. I go to settings, I have a list of items of course, but no media smart server tab.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:47 am 
Founder
Founder

Which model of MSS do you have?

Thanks