It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:53 pm 
Founder
Founder

Yes.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:24 am 

Hi Alex, thanks for setting up this wonderful forum - been using it to get loads of information for my newly put together WHS.
I intend to use BDBB and folder duplication (from PP2) to get my WHS backed up to an external drive and then sneakernet it offsite to my office/friend's home. I want to use truecrypt to keep this backup encrypted, but BDBB is not recognizing my truecrypt encrypted disk. I have two truecrypt encrypted external disks

Disk A: File contained encrypted volume. The file is about 900GB, and there is remaining 30GB unencrypted space on the disk. In "My Computer" this shows up as a volume(E:) of capacity 930GB of which 900GB is one file called data.raw, and remaining 30GB is unused. Let's say the disk is assigned E:, and the encrypted file is mounted as F:. BDBB only shows E: (with 30GB available space) in its list of devices. F: doesn't show up.

Disk B: Fully encrypted volume. It shows as an unformatted volume (E:) in "My Computer". The encrypted volume is then mounted as F:. BDBB, however, shows a red X in this case.

Only one of these disks was attached to my WHS at any time.

I think I have the latest version of the add-in. Here is the info from readme.
Quote:
Title: WHS BDBB (Backup Database-Backup)
Version: 1.0.1.6 Beta
Date: 4/20/2009
Author: Alex "Big Al" Kuretz
http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Copyright (c) 2009 Alex Kuretz

Am I missing something in this setup? Maybe the order of mounting the encrypted volumes. I would appreciate and ideas and workarounds. Thanks!

-Sahi

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:42 pm 
Founder
Founder

Hi Sahi, we identified an issue where TrueCrypt drives are not detected correctly. I have a new version of BDBB that resolves this and a couple other issues, I'll be releasing that shortly, hopefully in the next few days.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
sahihe
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:49 pm 

Great, looking forward to it. Thanks again.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:22 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

reposted from viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5413 as suggested by Chris Bickerstaff (CBick)

Dear Alex,

thank you the add in, it is great.

I have a couple of questions:
a) could you tell me where on the pool it is saved? (I cannot find it
b) would it be possible to have the possibility of scheduling (say once a week Sundays at 7am for example)
perhaps this would be in conjuction with tickbox indication that previous backup would be deleted.

c) Finally I am after a solution where I can have the whs database/client backups automatically written to a usb drive as soon as I attach this.(or if not feasable, at aspecific time)
For a small business this would be very valuable; plug it in in the morning and take it out after work to take off site. (Even better (now I am on a roll...) would be if 2 usb drives would be recognised and used alternately, old data deleted and new written)

Do you know of any way to do this automatically, or does one always have to go through the console?

Thanks for you thoughts,

Jaap

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:36 am 
Founder
Founder

Hi Jaap, I've responded to you in your original topic.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:41 pm 

Did V 1.0.2.2 get put on hold or is the link broken?

Alex,
I follow both the Wiki link and the download link from the first post on this thread to find the latest version of BDBB. The Wiki release notes state that 1.0.2.2 is released but the download link points back to the first post of this thread. When I click on the link in this thread I get V 1.0.1.6. Did 1.0.2.2 get put on hold or am I just missing the obvious in trying to find the download?

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:38 pm 
Founder
Founder

We're doing final tests on 1.0.2.2 and I got a little ahead of myself with the Wiki and links. :D Hang tight, it's imminent...

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
Neophyte
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:36 am 
Founder
Founder

Alright, 1.0.2.2 is live and the first post of this thread has been updated.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:24 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I currently have a NAS and I use Allways Sync to back my WHS shares up to the NAS vs. using folder duplication. 2 completely seperate machines is a better backup strategy - and I can cycle HD's from the NAS to work so I have reasonable offsite storage.

In the past I never really used the client backup functions before WHS, I just backup each PC's documents and favorites (all of the music, pictures and videos all sit on the NAS anyway).

Now I would like to add the client backups to the rotation.

Can I just keep using Allways sync to copy the backups directory to the NAS? What are the benefits of using this program instead?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:38 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

AustinBike wrote:
Can I just keep using Allways sync to copy the backups directory to the NAS? What are the benefits of using this program instead?

There is no backups directory like the shares. You can probably do it (I'm not sure how Allways sync works), but BDBB makes it really easy to backup the backup database and makes it very easy to restore the backup database on the WHS machine if the backup database were to become corrupted or lost.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:20 pm 
Founder
Founder

AustinBike wrote:
I currently have a NAS and I use Allways Sync to back my WHS shares up to the NAS vs. using folder duplication. 2 completely seperate machines is a better backup strategy - and I can cycle HD's from the NAS to work so I have reasonable offsite storage.

In the past I never really used the client backup functions before WHS, I just backup each PC's documents and favorites (all of the music, pictures and videos all sit on the NAS anyway).

Now I would like to add the client backups to the rotation.

Seems possible though I'm not familiar with the tool you mention. I'd recommend you read the Microsoft article linked in the first post/wiki entry to see exactly what BDBB does to backup the backup database.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:56 pm 

I decided I want to write a script to handle automating the database backup. I have read that you not only need the files, but also the client registry keys. Does anyone know where I can find documentation on the registry keys that need to be backed up? Or does someone know that could fill me in? Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:10 pm 
Founder
Founder

brandont wrote:
I decided I want to write a script to handle automating the database backup. I have read that you not only need the files, but also the client registry keys. Does anyone know where I can find documentation on the registry keys that need to be backed up? Or does someone know that could fill me in? Thanks!

All that you ask and more is in the Wiki. Specifically the first paragraph and the "How to use BDBB" section.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:03 am 

Thanks, found it.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next