It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:09 pm 

Hi,

I have had an HP EX487 for a few months now... But, the WHS area is new to me so I have not delved too much into the Add-Ins and stuff. So far, I pretty much just back-up my laptop on a nightly basis. As such, I tend not logon to the WHS Console very often but, recently, I've started noticing "graphical corruption" of the WHS Console display that I don't recall seeing previously. There are extra lines showing-up in places like by the Settings button as well as the Selection buttons along the left side. (see attached pic) I was hoping that somebody might know why... I tried doing some research (via Google), I came across mention of the MS Update (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963032) for Netbook Displays but determined that this should not have affected me since my laptop has a resolution of 1920X1200. I am not even sure how to check which updates have been applied to the EX487. It is running software version 2.5 though. Thoughts?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Brian-

Attachments:
HP WHS Console Corruption.JPG
HP WHS Console Corruption.JPG [ 167.75 KiB | Viewed 7315 times ]
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:20 pm 
Founder
Founder

I have never seen that before, does it affect other tabs or just the HP tab? Can you think of anything that changed prior to the corruption showing up? Any new add-ins?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:07 pm 

Hi,

The extra lines that I'm seeing never go away regardless of the section that I am in. When moving the 'selector' up/down the options along the left side, the lines around those options change some what though. It's almost like a texture problem that you'd see in a 3D game. Could the nVidia display drivers on my laptop be affecting the display of the WHS Console? I have not noticed any issues trying to display anything else on my computer. The only things that have changed for sure since I purchased the EX487 would have been the HP Software upgrade to version 2.5 as well as any miscellaneous MS updates. I have not installed any Add-In's (yet) and don't really know how.

Is there any way to see a list of what has been installed on the WHS? Something like the 'Add/remove Programs' list in XP?

Thanks.

-Brian-

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:28 pm 
Founder
Founder

It might well be a display issue on your client side, I'd suggest updating drivers on your PC, or at least try viewing the console on another PC. You can view the installed Add-Ins from the Add-Ins Settings Tab of the Server Console. Add/Remove programs is available, but you would need to use Remote Desktop to access the server for that.

Let us know what you figure out!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:36 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

hmmmmm...is this coincidence?
I found a similar post 2 days ago that I had participated in and it looks like it could be the same problem...
Have a look at the post here: http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php? ... entry58232
Very weird...

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:56 pm 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for the link, Nick, that makes me think even more that it's an Nvidia display driver issue.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:04 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have had the same problem pop up on my Dell Latitude D510 it has Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile Report, Intel Processor 1.73GHz with 1 gig RAM. For various reasons (have been running the XP SP2 with all the updates and to much extranious software since 2005) I had started from scratch and formatted and reloaded my system. The first thing I did after installing Windows XP SP2, prior to updating any Windows update, I installed WHS Connector software via http://"MyServerName":55000/ . After starting up my WHS Console right off the bat the msyterious white grid lines reappeared. When I go through remote desktop and bring up WHS console within Remote Desktop then the grid lines disappear. Anyway I do not think it is old or new video driver issues nor Window updates or any other updates. These grid lines do not affect any of the other 3 computers (another laptop and 2 desktops). It'd be nice to figure this one out. I don't know if there has been a HP or Windows update specific for WHS that may have caused this. Its the only thing I can think of causing this, then again maybe not.
Any constructive help or criticism would be great. I've noticed this on a couple of other websites but "no joy" there either. I will post this message on those sites as well. BTW I have a HP EX470
Rick

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:21 pm 
Founder
Founder

Welcome to the forums! I still believe it is almost certainly a video driver issue on the client PC.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hello to all,
Just an update to this issue. I ended up starting a fresh install with the DVD server installation disc and choosing to load a completely new install with formatting the drives. I had backed up my previous shared folders and various system files that I wanted to keep. Upon loading the installation disc and updating upto SP1. I noticed that my main wired network Computer when after loading the connector software through http://"MyServerName":55000/ and starting the WHS console the grid lines appeared. I think I had also updated to WHS SP2 on my EX470 along with updating the connector software the lines were still there. The same hold true on my 2 wirelss Laptop showing the gridlines on the WHS console with a fresh connector install using SP2. I thought this was also the case under remote desktop to the server. But I was just looking at my remote connection and opening up the WHS console the grid lines are not present. Also, I should note other than loading Windows and HP software updates that the grid lines were there. This was before I had propogated my current shared and created share directories. I had not at the time install any of the add-ins at this point. So I am at a lost of what is causing this. I have upgraded the RAM and Processor as indicated above. I would really like to find the cause of this to figure out if it is a software or hardware issue with possible serious ramification later i.e. losing data. Any constructive thoughts or ideas are appreciated and let me say thank you for time in reading this.
Rick

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:57 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I think I have found the problem that was causing my WHS Console to create grid lines. WHS Console is based on Windows Remote Desktop Connection. I found this online on a security patch update done in August might have caused this. Sounds like if you are running version 6.0 or less of Windows Remote Desktop Connection file MSTSC.EXE located under C:\WINDOWS\system32 is less than version 6.0 this may be causing grid line issues on WHS Console. It worked for me. Since I have not updated my Windows XP past SP2 then I was using the older version of Windows Remote Desktop Connection. You can find more info at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 3866ce0e01 . And you can download the patch or upgrade at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925876 .
The main thing for me is it fixed the problem that I could not find out and after figuring that WHS Console is based on Windows Remote Desktop Connection and stated to do searches on that. Bottom line is if you are having issues with grid lines visit the aforementioned sites and I hope this helps you if you’re experiencing the same issue.
Rick

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Rickie for this post
bmahan, yakuza