It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:41 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I picked up a Mediasonic 'ProBox' HF2-SU2S2 4 Bay Esata & USB Enclosure from a local computer shop today. After tax it cost $156.81 CAD.

I updated to the Marvell 1.2.0.68 Driver (available here) before beginning but I'm not certain if this is required or even recommended.

In short: It works.

It has some nifty features: The PowerSync Modes (turns off/standby with attached computer). The fan as 4 Settings (Auto/High/Med/Low). It has both USB & ESata Connectivity.

I fiddled a bit with (esata) hotplug & hotswap. Hotswap is not supported and I found that hotplug was unreliable. I'll be powering off the server to make drive changes in the esata unit.

I only tested it with one drive but it worked in both slots 1 & 2. I presume 3 & 4 work also. USB connectivity was not tested (yet).

Anyway Pics (that I would have found useful before purchasing) follow:

Attachments:
DSCF3184.JPG
DSCF3184.JPG [ 231.03 KiB | Viewed 40797 times ]
DSCF3185.JPG
DSCF3185.JPG [ 227.48 KiB | Viewed 40797 times ]
DSCF3195.JPG
DSCF3195.JPG [ 152.69 KiB | Viewed 40797 times ]
DSCF3204.JPG
DSCF3204.JPG [ 187.11 KiB | Viewed 40797 times ]
DSCF3209.JPG
DSCF3209.JPG [ 150.97 KiB | Viewed 40797 times ]
DSCF3212.JPG
DSCF3212.JPG [ 134.43 KiB | Viewed 40798 times ]
DSCF3213.JPG
DSCF3213.JPG [ 154.02 KiB | Viewed 40798 times ]
DSCF3214.JPG
DSCF3214.JPG [ 133.96 KiB | Viewed 40798 times ]
DSCF3215.JPG
DSCF3215.JPG [ 177.9 KiB | Viewed 40798 times ]
DSCF3216.JPG
DSCF3216.JPG [ 186.24 KiB | Viewed 40798 times ]
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank ymboc for this post
klp992001, SeaRay33

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:22 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Ymboc,
Thanks for posting the pics and telling us about the enclosure. Looks like a pretty good enclosure and the price is terriffic! Thanks for letting us know it works with the MSS.
George

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:35 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

ymboc wrote:
I updated to the Marvell 1.2.0.68 Driver (available here) before beginning but I'm not certain if this is required or even recommended.

With the Sans Digital, the server would hang during a reboot until I updated the driver. I'm thinking that you probably would have had the same issue with this one if you had not updated the driver.

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:43 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Just curious if you've had a chance to add any additional drives to the unit beyond the first drive. I'm curious if it will show multiple drives when connected to MSS using eSata...

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:06 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Sadly I haven't yet... but I have tried all the slots independently... I had figured that would be enough to show they'll all work when more than one drive is present (do you know something I don't?).

I had bought the unit because of it's cheap price and if sata didn't work out I could still fall back on USB.

Anyway, I have a few extra drives kicking around I could plug in to test later this weekend.... I'll post if I end up getting around to testing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:29 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

ymboc wrote:
Anyway, I have a few extra drives kicking around I could plug in to test later this weekend....

Thanks - I went ahead and ordered the enclosure anyways. I saw a couple other posts where people seemed to get it working with multiple drives. I think the same thing you did - if eSata doesn't work I'll just use the USB port. I've got a bunch of drives, so as soon as it arrives I'm going to load it up and see how well it works. I'll post my results here for other's who might be considering it...

Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:55 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have the exact same unit, bought it from Canada Computers.

I've had it for around 6 months now, not a problem.

and since I just formatted my WHS and didn't install any additional drivers, I'de say that you don't need the updated driver for this.

I'm using the e-sata interface.

I put the fan setting to max, it gets a bit warm in there, I've had the maximum of 3 in there, but putting the forth one this week.

the mechanism to put the HDDs, especially the front door is retarded to say the least, at least comparing to how easy MSS is, but it works and it works well.

over all I'm a happy camper with it.

good purchase and review ;)

also, my friend owns one too, he is also happy with it as well

Attachments:
File comment: just a quick picture, sorry my WHS life is a mess, thanks to my recent CPU upgrade, thanks again ymboc, your guide was great!
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 40460 times ]
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank MetaLRasaM for this post
diggityDawg
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:36 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Well I picked up two WD 1gb drives today and tried to install them into the 'probox'.... and I'm having a hard time of it using esata :(

diggityDawg: You asked if I had tried more than one drive at a time... may I ask why/how you knew it could be a problem? (It seems you have some insights I'm lacking)

MetaLRasaM: Can you confirm which version of the probox you have (raid or the jbod version) and what you marvell driver version is?

I haven't given up but it's not clear to me what the trouble is...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:33 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

ymboc wrote:
diggityDawg: You asked if I had tried more than one drive at a time... may I ask why/how you knew it could be a problem? (It seems you have some insights I'm lacking)

In my research I found that the EX48x version of the MSS doesn't support port multipliers any more (the old version did), which you would need to recognize more than one drive. It basically takes the 4 sata ports and channels them through the one external port, then the MSS needs to recognize that there are four drives there, not just one. With the newer boxes the support isn't there for this. At least that's how I understand it...

I got my ProBox late last week. I put four drives in and it would not recognize the drives using the esata port. I switched to the USB and everything works great - all four drives show up, I've added them to the pool and I can see them in Drive Manager. I've heard that the speed is fine for most operations, but I would obviously prefer to use the esata port. I was thinking of upgrading the Marvell driver and trying again, but haven't had a chance yet (we access lots of our media from the WHS, so I can't reboot whenever I want). As soon as I do I'll post my results, but I'm not holding my breath...

Good Luck!

dd

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:47 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

diggityDawg: I have the EX47x... what do you have? I didn't expect to encounter port multiplier issues...

Edit/Followup: I got it working (so far - I'll post any further glitches as they develop)

The only thing I think I did different was now the hard drives in the esata enclosure are all formatted (the two 1gb drives were unformatted) and I'm using the 1.2.0.60 driver (was using 1.2.0.68 but also tried 1.2.0.46).

Last edited by ymboc on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:49 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

ymboc wrote:
diggityDawg: I have the EX47x... what do you have? I didn't expect to encounter port multiplier issues...

Sorry, thought you had the same box as me. I got a EX485. So definitely not the same issue...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:31 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Followup #2: It stopped working.

I briefly had two drives recognized half-way through a driver update... half-way as in the reboot immediately after a driver change where one half of the driver was installed before the reboot and the other half (marvell virtual device or something) after.

Thanks to VGA cable I know that with two drives in the enclosure (slot#1 & 3), WHS halts/reboots half-way through booting...

Going to experiment more to see if I can accomplish anything.

I'm still eagerly waiting to hear back from MetaLRasaM to confirm which specific model probox he has and which driver version works for him... He stated he didn't change anything which should mean 1.2.0.46 but that one didn't work out for me.

Followup: After another failed crack at it with the 1.2.0.46 driver I got it working with 1.2.0.69 (downloaded here).

Attachments:
esataworking.PNG
esataworking.PNG [ 53.33 KiB | Viewed 40302 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:58 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

ymboc wrote:
Followup #2: It stopped working.

I briefly had two drives recognized half-way through a driver update... half-way as in the reboot immediately after a driver change where one half of the driver was installed before the reboot and the other half (marvell virtual device or something) after.

Thanks to VGA cable I know that with two drives in the enclosure (slot#1 & 3), WHS halts/reboots half-way through booting...

Going to experiment more to see if I can accomplish anything.

I'm still eagerly waiting to hear back from MetaLRasaM to confirm which specific model probox he has and which driver version works for him... He stated he didn't change anything which should mean 1.2.0.46 but that one didn't work out for me.

Followup: After another failed crack at it with the 1.2.0.46 driver I got it working with 1.2.0.69 (downloaded here).

Sorry about the delay. I've recently formated my WHS like 48798479847 times, stupid failing HDD killed me, but it worked well with the stock driver, and I also tried the updated one you posted, and also worked without a problem.

I'm surprised you are having issues with it, my friend and I both have one, and not a single problem, it isn't hot swapple, but it works well. WHS sees the drives, you add them to the pool and everyone is happy.

I will post more details once I officially finish moving all my data back to WHS, I'm half way there, another 2.5TB and I should be done.

I have the non-raid one...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:59 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

let me know what else you need to know, I'll be more than happy to help out.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:03 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

MetaLRasaM wrote:
I'm surprised you are having issues with it...

I was similarily suprised but at least it's all resolved now.

Perhaps I had screwed around with the drivers a bit too much testing for hotswap/plug support.

Cheers

Thanks