It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: iPhone app for WHS?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:14 am 

A neat app for the iPhone would be one that uses an add-in tomimic the WHS Connector when using your iPhone on your home network so you could "check in" to see how things are running. Maybe could also use it to check in remotely when outside the home network.

Any one know of such a thing?

MediaSmartServer.net Wiki, it's loaded with helpful information about WHS and the HP MediaSmart Server.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: iPhone app for WHS?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:11 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

I have iTap RDP client installed on my iphone, so I can connect to the console from that and do anything I need from the iPhone. Quite a neat app, but not free.

I'm new to the iPhone having been a WinMo user for many years, but really glad I switched.

Orb live is definately better than the MSS app for the phone!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:01 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Cougar wrote:
I have iTap RDP client installed on my iphone, so I can connect to the console from that and do anything I need from the iPhone. Quite a neat app, but not free.

I'm new to the iPhone having been a WinMo user for many years, but really glad I switched.

Orb live is definately better than the MSS app for the phone!

Really? Is orblive better than the iStream app? I'm really happy with the iStream app, except when it times out. What are the benefits compared to iStream? Is there a big difference between the free orblive and the $9.99 one?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:38 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Cougar,
I'd be curious to hear how you're using Orb as an alternate to iStream.? Per my thread below, I think HP really dropped the ball with their app.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4875

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:35 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

I find orb works really well on a 3G connection, and I havent had any drop outs yet. The interface on iStream I always found a little sluggish.

There are in fact 4 different flavours of Orb for the iPhone, Media, Music, Live and Live Free. There is a comparison chart on the Orb KB (http://support.orb.com/kb/entry/417/)

The free version is basically good to try it before you buy, but thats about it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:39 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Cougar,

I have both rdplite and winadmin and I cant connect to my server from outside my network. Is there a trick to get it to work? I want to beable to RDP in and reset orb. I have the older app and the new server software, I seem to crash orb a lot. I stupidly deleted the old software version ( got the older version around winter). I like the old Iphone app because I can adjust the quality to my tastes as apposed to Apple and AT&T tastes.

I have other apps that work just fine. your WHS health works great WHS mobile has hiccups but works rather well.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:12 am 
Founder
Founder

You have to modify the firewall on the WHS to allow RDP connections from outside networks as by default it's scope is set to Subnet Only.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:15 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

is there anything special I need to do with it or just open it up?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:39 am 
Founder
Founder

If you want it open to the general internet, then just change the Scope to "Any computer", and forward port 3389 on your router to the server.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank yakuza for this post
T-Bone
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:31 pm 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

Yep; that should be enough. There is a new version of Orb out that seems more stable as well.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Cougar for this post
T-Bone
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:25 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I got the new server software from them like a month ago. I like the set up of the old iPhone software I like being able to dial in the quality I want myself.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:48 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Does anyone know if a way to get older versions of the iStream app? I know they did a update to remove streaming over 3g but im still interested in trying it out. wish I would have grabbed it when I had the chance. think i missed it

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:33 am 

There's a WHS 2011 app for the Windows Phone 7 OS. See it at http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/apps/ ... e7d1fa76f8. The comments and ratings run the spectrum.

There's a WHS v1 app for the Android OS. See it at https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... rch_result. It seems to have received good ratings.

I am not surprised the mobile OS worlds have ignored WHS. But I am surprised that the iPhone, specifically, doesn't have a way to access shared folders on a local network.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:01 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

My EX490 (WHS v1) is set up with the default remote access (80/443/4125) and so I was tempted to set up the EX487 (WHS 2011) for RDP using the standard port. Unfortunately, Microsoft for whatever reason hard-coded 3189 deep within the bowels of the OS and I've not found a means of changing it. You might ask why I'd want to change it, and it's the cynical side of me...if I open a well-known port, surely there is a malicious attacker out there looking to exploit a vulnerability in the Microsoft OS. It's bad enough I've got ports 80 and 443 open and actively soliciting connections. Do I really want to open more well-known ports? (I have Exchange and SharePoint and I've got those on very high numbered ports like 53682.)

I've had some colleagues use a product called Splashtop Streamer (free) and Splashtop Remote Desktop (fee varies by device). I got an HP TouchPad at the employee fire sale a few weeks ago and wanted RDP. My iPhone and iPad use an app called Jump Remote Desktop ($9.99 if memory serves me right).

I liked Splashtop's (supposedly customizable) ability to change the ports needed. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to stick, but the folks at Splashtop have indicated in their forums they know of this bug and are working to fix it. The Streamer doesn't seem to consume too many resources, so it may be a nice alternative to RDP. It would appear to me that the Streamer is rich media optimized, meaning you could connect to a desktop, for example, from an iPad or TouchPad, and watch a streaming Netflix movie--streamed to the desktop, watched over the tablet--without degradation. RDP, by contrast, is optimized more to be a utility app and not a rich media one.

Splashtop has clients for the iPhone (3GS, 4 and 4S), iPad (1 and 2), iPod Touch (3rd gen and later), Android (2.2 and later) and HP TouchPad. The Streamer is a free application that can be installed on PCs (XP/Vista/7 32- and 64-bit) and Macs (Snow Lepoard and later). WHS 2011 is not officially supported, but I've got it working just fine.

Another cool feature of Splashtop is that it has a utility app that enables you to use an iPad as an external monitor! It's neat, although a bit buggy--it causes Windows to think there's too much video memory consumed and shuts down Aero Glass.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:48 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I've been using Splashtop for a number of months now to connect to my home systems from afar via my Ipad. Damn fine app. Can indeed watch SD video over 3G though HD is unwatchable in my experience sans wifi.

Very happy with the app and PC agent. Have not tried alternatives as I was pleased out of the gate...suppose I should play more with other tools to see if there is something I might like better.

Thanks