It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:33 am 

Hi,

I bought my EX485 in April and have had a relatively good experience. Starting shortly after the recent update, the server began to lose network connectivity on a regular basis. (2-3 times per day). At first, I thought that it might be my router Linksys WRT310N since I purchased it as the same time, but just rebooting the router will not restore the connection. The only option is to reboot the server. I have looked through other posts but have not been able to find something similar. I did find one post (can seem to find again) that stated something about a network loss issue when the CPU hits 50c. At idle, my server is between 48-50c. Any thoughts on a direction I should begin looking at would be appreicated.

EX485 - still with single 750GB drive
Linksys WRT310N with latest firmware (Set to static IP address)
Windows Vista

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:35 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Is that router green? Does it turn off ports not in use?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:48 am 

That I am not sure of. Will do some research on that today. Thanks...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:46 am 

yaunches wrote:
Hi,

I bought my EX485 in April and have had a relatively good experience. Starting shortly after the recent update, the server began to lose network connectivity on a regular basis. (2-3 times per day). At first, I thought that it might be my router Linksys WRT310N since I purchased it as the same time, but just rebooting the router will not restore the connection. The only option is to reboot the server. I have looked through other posts but have not been able to find something similar. I did find one post (can seem to find again) that stated something about a network loss issue when the CPU hits 50c. At idle, my server is between 48-50c. Any thoughts on a direction I should begin looking at would be appreicated.

EX485 - still with single 750GB drive
Linksys WRT310N with latest firmware (Set to static IP address)
Windows Vista

On my EX470 it was running fine, did the CPU upgrade it worked fine for weeks. Then all of a sudden, I could not RDP in my MSS taskbar icon was grey and stranger than that my Router was frozen?

I tried lots of different approaches, they only thing that has worked was putting my old CPU back it. it has been running for weeks fine now? I will have to do some testing to see if it was a heat issue?

I just could figure out why my MSS would cause my router to go offline? Once I unplugged my router and hard booted my MSS it was fine. Then it would happen again the next day or hours later when idle? I thought maybe heat issue during the afternoon before I got home but I found it did it overnight a few times as well.

Joe

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:33 am 

I am having nearly the identical experience with my EX485. Lately, I have had the MediaSmart Server lose its network connection 2-3 times per day, with the only apparent solution being to reboot the server. I have several other PCs and devices connected thru the router that are all behaving normally. To be safe, I updated the firmware on the router. At first, I thought I might have it solved, as the server stayed connected several hours. However, last night I noticed that it was offline again.

My configuration:
EX 485 with 750MB, plus another 1TB WD drive added
Linksys WRT54GS router
Windows XP on desktops (2)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:14 pm 

Holy smokes! I'm having the same problem, with the same router! It began when I was trying to get the ex485 to use UPnP to become remotely accessible, with the whole domain-name creation thing. Then, suddenly thereafter, poof! Gone. Like you all I could do was a violent, hard power-down, which had the effect in my case of crashing the HD, so a call to the techs was in order (thankfully fixed: thanks HP).

Today I tried to manually set up the ports to the server on the router, and the moment I was passing port 80 over to the server, the moment I started passing port 80 over.....poof. Gone again. Another hard boot, and again I have a chowdered disk.

My 310N has worked just fine, and has the latest Linksys firmware on it. Nothing flaky installed on the server. Ugh.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:07 pm 

I have an idea. After much trial and tribulation I think that, in my case with the 310N and the EX485, my issue was because I reserved an IP address for my EX485. In my case I told the 310N to reserve the 192.168.1.106 address for my HPSERVER. While this provided me with some certainty that the HPSERVER would always have the same addess, I have a hunch that the DHCP client service on HPSERVER would keep hitting up the 310N for renewal, and the router would ignore the request.

I removed the DHCP reservation from the 310N (and have only one, now, for a wireless printer), and the EX485 seems to be working just fine. I'll check again in the morning.

Anyway, I scoured the logs, and found this entry at suspicious times:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Dhcp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1002
Date: 7/14/2009
Time: 11:43:36 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HPSERVER
Description:
The IP address lease 192.168.1.106 for the Network Card with network address 000AE489EA63 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:54 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

What firmware do you all run? Original Linksys or some alternative firmware?

If you wana try an alternative firmware i can recomend DD-WRT

I'm using DD-WRT on a WRT54GL and have nerver had any problems with that firmware or router.

APC Smart-UPS 1000 VA

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:48 am 

Mine was a dlink router

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:48 pm 

Mine is WRT54GS with updated Linksys firmware. I have not reserved an IP address, so still not sure what's up. Will put it back on HP support soon.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:00 pm 

It appears like I'm having a similar issue. WHS was working fine since initially installed in April, including remote access. Monday morning I tried remote access from work and found out that WHS was offline. Went home and discovered that I'm getting grey box in tray on both computers on my network. Reset everything (router, hard reset of the WHS) and still can't get WHS back online. Checked my router and it shows WHS as inactive. I'm totally a novice network guy and am nervous about trying to configure my router to reserve an IP address. Any suggestions before I really screw things up?!?! ](*,)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:51 pm 

I am having a similar issue. I have an EX470 I bought last year in June (just over the 1 yr warranty :( and about 6 months ago I was not able to complete a server backup to an external drive, did not matter if USB or eSATA. Around halfway through I would loose the network connection and the server would lock forcing a hard shutdown and restart.
Then the EX470 started locking up my Dlink 655 router - the whole network would go down including Internet (TW cable), if I unplugged the network cable all was good again but had to hard shutdown the EX470again. This would happen randomly and over the course of a few weeks then would not happen again for months. I have never figured this one out.
I had PP2, MyMovies, AnyDVDHD AVAST, and AutoExit installed.
I have since moved and now have AT&T Uverse, everything was good the first month (June) then the connection to the EX470 started dropping, grey WHS connector and a timeout trying to RDP.
I also in the same timeframe put a clean Win 7 RC install on my main PC.
This week I did a Server Recovery and was not abe to complete it form the Win7 box, I got all the way to "installing updates" after serve init and then it would lock.
I was succesful in a Recovery from my wifes Vista PC. I installed all updates to PP2, MyMovies, AnyDVHD, and AVAST and still have the network drop.
Tried DHCP IP from my 2Wire Uverse router, fixed IP form 2Wire, added and removed Web Server and HTTPS Server port forwarding in the 2Wire, updated SiS191 driver, and still have the problem.
My thoughts are to now try my Dlink 655 in the DMZPlus Zone off my 2Wire. From there I am out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:17 am 

Hey all, thanks for the suggestions. I have been slammed at work and have not had the opportunity to explore the further until now. The issue seems to be happening about once every 24 hours (or less). I am going to try and take out the port reservation on the 310 to see if the server will stay up for more than 2 days. If that's the case, then I will probably try and install the DD-WRT firmware onto the 310 as I hear it is a lot more stable than the generic Linksys version. Will report back findings.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:56 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I have an ex470 that started doing the same thing after PP2.
Being a Network Admin I play this game every day.

Back ground: EX470 LE-1640 CPU, 2GB ram, 4x1.5TB int plus 2x1tb usb ext.

Symptoms, Server had all blue lights, but no connectivity from any clients and unpingable.
At first reviewing event logs showed nothing.
So I connected a secondary usb network adaptor assigned it a fixed ip and RDP'd into that interface.
And spent the next two days dumping huge amounts of data accross the primary connection trying to induce a failure.
I soon realized the failures came at one hour intervals.
After I installed the secondery interface the event logs started getting entries that corasponded with the failure.
Each time it was the "WinHTTPautoproxy" service. According to the info I found it's not necesarry.
So I have disabled it, and am continuing testing but so far so good.
BTW it seems to have helped my throughput a bit as well.

Hopefully someone else can confirm.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Chasrobin for this post
JohnBick
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:50 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Great first post, Chasrobin! Welcome to the world of MSS/WHS! Good to have you aboard!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks