It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:54 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

cotedan wrote:
I also was getting the install validation error (on the PC I used to set up the server). I am otherwise running MACs.

The only way to connect to the server was to DISconnect the DSL modem completely. This works everytime. I don't use the PC except to make changes to the server setup so it's ok, but it's a cludgy way of doing it. Still, it works.

So, disconnect your router from your DSL or cable modem. That will allow the connection to the MediaSmart 485/487.

D.

That might be allowing it to work for you, but that's not the real solution to your problem. There's absolutely no legitimate reason that having a router plugged in to a DSL or Cable modem should cause the Mac and Media smart not to connect.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:07 pm 
Founder
Founder

jmpage2 wrote:
That might be allowing it to work for you, but that's not the real solution to your problem. There's absolutely no legitimate reason that having a router plugged in to a DSL or Cable modem should cause the Mac and Media smart not to connect.

Actually, if the router is resolving on the external internet a host name the same as your server's name, this could cause connection errors between the client and server. A way to test is to try to ping your server by hostname and see if the IP address shown is an internal IP address or some unfamiliar external IP. If so, a hosts file entry may resolve the issue, or renaming your server to something unique.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:48 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yakuza wrote:
jmpage2 wrote:

Actually, if the router is resolving on the external internet a host name the same as your server's name, this could cause connection errors between the client and server. A way to test is to try to ping your server by hostname and see if the IP address shown is an internal IP address or some unfamiliar external IP. If so, a hosts file entry may resolve the issue, or renaming your server to something unique.

You might be onto something, I guess it would depend on how the HP installation utility for the Mac does name resolution. I suspect that it executes an smblookup from the Mac which will look up the IP address of a host using WINS. An IP sniff would for sure show if this is how it was being done.

In any event, it's unusual for routers to configure themselves as the master browsers on local networks, although I'm sure that some of them have features allowing for this, and as you say it would also require the use of a home server name that is already in use on the home network AND being resolved and managed by the router for unplugging the router to have an impact on this.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:12 pm 

I'm not comfortable having to open the firewall to every application. So after reading your recommendation, here's what I did to get it working with selected programs:

Go to your Network settings, and then clicked "Advanced"
Attachment:
grab1.jpg
grab1.jpg [ 81.22 KiB | Viewed 10218 times ]

Then click on "Proxies" and type in your homeserver's name.
Attachment:
grab2.jpg
grab2.jpg [ 70.64 KiB | Viewed 10218 times ]

Click "OK" then you're done!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:33 pm 

Ok, so that didn't really work either. I could connect, but I had trouble setting up the backup. I ended up going back to disabling the firewall like was previously mentioned. Otherwise, I couldn't get Time Machine to see the backup disk...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:55 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

vlim, are you seeing the Home Server in your finder? It should show up there even if the software is not installed. This will hopefully help determine if it is a network issue. You can also try connecting directly to it using the Apple(Command) key and k from the finder and try to browse to SMB://(Your server name). I am just thinking has something to do with how it is seeing it. Maybe try changing the server name too. Maybe that is confusing it.

EX475 - 5.5 TB Total - 3.5TB MSS w Rosewill RSV-S5(2TB Backup Pool)- LE-1640 (AMD X2 BE-2350 unstable) - 2GB Ram
2.5 Unofficial Software Update/Time Machine Backup

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:12 pm 

gecko6375 wrote:
vlim, are you seeing the Home Server in your finder? It should show up there even if the software is not installed. This will hopefully help determine if it is a network issue. You can also try connecting directly to it using the Apple(Command) key and k from the finder and try to browse to SMB://(Your server name). I am just thinking has something to do with how it is seeing it. Maybe try changing the server name too. Maybe that is confusing it.

I'm having the same problem, validation failed, however I can connect to the server via SMB and RDC...i can also ping the WINS name and the IP. My server is also listed in the Finder under shared and I can access all the shares. I tried all the suggestions above but still cannot connect to the server via Control Center. Any ideas?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:43 pm 

I too am having the same problem. This happened after I installed the HP update for my mac. Everything was working fine before the update.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:55 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Which update do you mean 2.5 or 2.5.1?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:57 am 

Oh, I'm talking about update 3.0.1b93 sorry.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:22 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Ok, try the following:
1) Copy the DMG from your server's Software/Mac share to your Mac
2) Mount it and perform Uninstall
3) Reboot your Mac
4) Mount DMG again and perform Install

Usually such operation helps. Anyway you can always uninstall update and install 3.0.0 from your CD.

If the problem persists, try to look through the logs (in Console.app) for the HP related records - sometimes they help to clarify what's going on.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank bruder for this post
yvansandoz
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:43 pm 

HELP!! I too am having validation problems. Here's my situation:

Server: EX495
HP Software: 3.0.14.33083
HP MediaSmart Server S/W on Mac: 3.0.1b93

Connect through Finder (SMB): Yes
Connect through RDC: Yes
Ping With Server Name: Yes

Only Two Devices hooked up to the network are the Mac and the EX495

:evil: Validation Error :evil: Every time.

I would like to use Time Machine. However, the validation is preventing me from accessing the backup tab.

Any and all help are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-- Mike

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:15 pm 

After installing the new 3.0 update for my ex470 WHS, I'm getting the same problem on my MacBook Pro:
Validation error after looking for the server.
The HP MediaSmart Server software on my Macbook is looking for servers and is finding my ex470 server. The server name is the same as I filled in during the installation. I used the right password but is keeps saying "validation error".

The most frustrating part is that it worked flawlessy with the previous version of the HP WHS software.

I tried every possible solution that I could find on the internet and especially on this website:
- Security settings on both the Mac and the WHS are checked and correctly.
- The firewalls on both the Mac and the WHS are disabled, but no difference.
- I tried the Mac wireless and wired connected but no difference. Even checked the workgroup settings @ the WINS tab @ the Mac.
- Reinstalled the HP Media Smart Software on the Mac after removing it with the Unistaller HP provided with the DMG file.
- Disconnected my cable modem an rebooted the WHS + the Mac but no difference.
- It is possible the ping the WHS from the Mac and the other way around.
- SMB shares are working correctly from the WHS to the Mac.

Can anyone please help me with this problem?! I really don't know what to do anymore. From my windows computer the new update looked all fine but from the Mac is doesn't worked at all, which is a shame because with the new 3.0 update, Apple computers should be beter supported by WHS.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:34 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

markbeek wrote:
After installing the new 3.0 update for my ex470 WHS, I'm getting the same problem on my MacBook Pro:
Validation error after looking for the server.
The HP MediaSmart Server software on my Macbook is looking for servers and is finding my ex470 server. The server name is the same as I filled in during the installation. I used the right password but is keeps saying "validation error".

The most frustrating part is that it worked flawlessy with the previous version of the HP WHS software.

I tried every possible solution that I could find on the internet and especially on this website:
- Security settings on both the Mac and the WHS are checked and correctly.
- The firewalls on both the Mac and the WHS are disabled, but no difference.
- I tried the Mac wireless and wired connected but no difference. Even checked the workgroup settings @ the WINS tab @ the Mac.
- Reinstalled the HP Media Smart Software on the Mac after removing it with the Unistaller HP provided with the DMG file.
- Disconnected my cable modem an rebooted the WHS + the Mac but no difference.
- It is possible the ping the WHS from the Mac and the other way around.
- SMB shares are working correctly from the WHS to the Mac.

Can anyone please help me with this problem?! I really don't know what to do anymore. From my windows computer the new update looked all fine but from the Mac is doesn't worked at all, which is a shame because with the new 3.0 update, Apple computers should be beter supported by WHS.

Any help is much appreciated!!

You could potentially have SMB access to the server without using the actual server administrator password. Make sure that you try to connect to the server and explicitly login using the administrator account and password you are using. IF this works then certainly the password you are using is correct.

Do you have some extremely unusual character combinations for either the server name or password? It is possible that there is a bug in the HP MSS client for Mac that is having an issue with your password or servername if it's extremely unusual (server names should not be allowed to have special characters in them).

Before giving up hope you should contact HP. Their support for the MSS products is pretty good.

Another option you have is to remove ALL of the disks from the MSS and then do a server restore on a fresh hard drive, and then see if the Mac is working properly after running updates. It is possible that something related to the TM functions on your box have somehow become corrupted and this would be a good way of eliminating the server from being the source of the problem.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jmpage2 for this post
markbeek
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:05 am 

jmpage2 wrote:
You could potentially have SMB access to the server without using the actual server administrator password. Make sure that you try to connect to the server and explicitly login using the administrator account and password you are using. IF this works then certainly the password you are using is correct.

Do you have some extremely unusual character combinations for either the server name or password? It is possible that there is a bug in the HP MSS client for Mac that is having an issue with your password or servername if it's extremely unusual (server names should not be allowed to have special characters in them).

Before giving up hope you should contact HP. Their support for the MSS products is pretty good.

Another option you have is to remove ALL of the disks from the MSS and then do a server restore on a fresh hard drive, and then see if the Mac is working properly after running updates. It is possible that something related to the TM functions on your box have somehow become corrupted and this would be a good way of eliminating the server from being the source of the problem.

I used the same name and the same password as with the 2.5 update that I used before on the WHS. Maybe that is the problem? I already restored the server again but this time without installing any addins. That make no difference at all. I didn't try the completely restore the server with lost of data. Ofcourse I will remove the data discs when I am going to try that. :wink:

The name of the server is hphomeserver and the WINS name is HPHOMESERVER (only capital writing is the difference). This should not be a problem. The password is a strong password, so it got a capital letter, some numbers and is longer than 8 characters.

The most disturbing part is that the MAC client software finds my server but isn't authenticating.... :? Within a second it already states that the validation is incorrectly (validation error).

I will try the following things:

- I have another macbook which I use for windows 7 testing, but with bootcamp it has an unused "clean" macosx install. I will try to install the WHS client software on this machine and see if the problem is server of client related.
- I will restore the server again but this time with another server name. Therefore any credential will not match and shouldn't give any problems.
- If the other two try-outs won't work I will completely restore the server in hope for solving the problem.

If all above didn't work I will contact HP, but I never used a helpdesk at all with any problem. :) For any problem there got to be a solution, if you just know where to find it :)

Ofcourse I will let you know what the solve the problem because there is little information to this subject on the internet.

Thank you very much for your help!

Thanks